Cancelled Ports: MS Nieuw Amsterdam

stevenr597

In 2012; also aboard the NA, when storm conditions prevented calling at Livorno we stopped for the day in Cagliari instead.

So it is possible given enough notice to make changes to ports rather than just another sea day. Obviously an alternate port must be reasonably located and have an open berth to call upon.

Have to check distance from HMC to Nassau to see if that would be feasible, not that most people would be thrilled with that either.

We've been on many cruises where ports were missed. It's just part of the cruising experience. It never entered our mind that the cruiseline should have a back-up plan. How anyone could be angry or upset is beyond me. You're on a cruise!! I can understand that children might need some planned activities to keep them busy, but adults are quite capable of entertaining themselves. Read a book, take a walk around the ship, relax and watch the sea go by, enjoy a cocktail at a bar, make love in the afternoon!

I disagree. If I book a port intensive cruise then it is precisely because I want to visit ports and not read a book, walk around the ship, relax, etc. These things (clearly not activities) would bore me and I might never cruise again if I had to engage in such action.

I couldn't agree more. Apparently entertaining oneself is not something that every adult can do. More's the pity.

It seems to me that a cruise director should have 2 or 3 daily contingency plans already set up and ready to go should a ship have to miss a port.:rolleyes:

I taught school for 38 years and always had at least 3 days of plans a sub could use if I had an emergency absence. I kept the plans and any equipment/directions/papers needed to carry them out in a clearly labeled box. I don't see where it would be a big problem for a CD to have the same sort of plans ready to roll if a port was to be missed. Passengers can opt to entertain themselves or participate in activities should they wish to get out and interact with other folks.

JMHO :)

We were also on this cruise. It didn't ruin the cruise for us, but we were disappointed. We ended up with a lot of sea days, which apparently some passengers like. My husband and I prefer port days, so it was disappointing.

In my opinion, and I understand I'm going to upset some with this opinion, if both ports are difficult in high winds or inclement weather it might make more sense to only include one during windy/weather months. I completely understand why the ports had to be skipped but that doesn't change the fact that passengers were disappointed or angry or whatever. If missing both ports seems to happen often, maybe HAL should consider an itinerary change.

We didn't have trouble finding things to do, but we wanted beach & snorkeling time. Just to be clear, this did not ruin our trip but it's not the cruise we had hoped for. We weren't that sad it was ending, we were ready and that never happens. I talked to several other passengers who were also ready. It was an odd cruise, at least for us it was. I'm sure we will cruise with HAL again, but I'm going to look at the itinerary more closely

We were also on this cruise. It didn't ruin the cruise for us, but we were disappointed. We ended up with a lot of sea days, which apparently some passengers like. My husband and I prefer port days, so it was disappointing.

In my opinion, and I understand I'm going to upset some with this opinion, if both ports are difficult in high winds or inclement weather it might make more sense to only include one during windy/weather months. I completely understand why the ports had to be skipped but that doesn't change the fact that passengers were disappointed or angry or whatever. If missing both ports seems to happen often, maybe HAL should consider an itinerary change.

We didn't have trouble finding things to do, but we wanted beach & snorkeling time. Just to be clear, this did not ruin our trip but it's not the cruise we had hoped for. We weren't that sad it was ending, we were ready and that never happens. I talked to several other passengers who were also ready. It was an odd cruise, at least for us it was. I'm sure we will cruise with HAL again, but I'm going to look at the itinerary more closely

We have done this itinerary on Eurodam three times and have it booked again in February.

My feeling on sea days is I've gotten another day older and not done anything. A wasted vacation day. Are we there yet???

We have missed Half Moon Cay a few times and it is a huge disappointment. If we missed Grand Turk also I would go stir crazy.

I am actually rethinking our February cruise. I do not want 4 sea days in a 7 day cruise and it seems this happens too often.

I don't believe that there's such a thing as a wasted vacation day! Perhaps it's my Cunard heritage--their slogan once was "Getting there is half the fun!" I can spend nearly all day on the balcony supervising the waves. That's a job I take quite seriously!!! (It's exhausting, but I refresh myself with the occasional glass of champers)

I do understand the disappointment of missing ports, but we cruise to relax, and can do that on the ship as well as on a beach.

I wish HAL would set up the itineraries with HMC at one end of the cruise and Grand Turk at the other, so it isn't two beach days in a row. That way if the weather is bad at the start of the cruise, maybe the beach day on the way back will be better.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I don't believe that there's such a thing as a wasted vacation day! Perhaps it's my Cunard heritage--their slogan once was "Getting there is half the fun!" I can spend nearly all day on the balcony supervising the waves. That's a job I take quite seriously!!! (It's exhausting, but I refresh myself with the occasional glass of champers)

I do understand the disappointment of missing ports, but we cruise to relax, and can do that on the ship as well as on a beach.

I wish HAL would set up the itineraries with HMC at one end of the cruise and Grand Turk at the other, so it isn't two beach days in a row. That way if the weather is bad at the start of the cruise, maybe the beach day on the way back will be better.

Lol my type a personality needs to chill I guess. I just want to make the most of every vacation day and a sea day to me is not a lot different than being in a car or plane all day. Different strokes for different folks.

did anybody ever notice that in any port some staff is also enjoying a day off. in other words they, the staff members you see in port have some well deserved time off. if the ship is unable to tender they still have time off just like your Saturday. so they are a bit understaffed that day and can not find staff for extra activities. I hope this makes sense. happy sailing . tino

I have been cruising for almost fifty years and the attitude towards cruising has changed considerably over the years. Reading books or sitting outside watching the beautiful ocean used to be two of the most common ways to enjoy a day at sea - or perhaps a game of shuffleboard which did not require a staff supervisor. The most planned activity might have been a lecture.

Today folks seem more inclined to watch presentations and participate in activities rather than reading a book since it requires less attention span. I love to read non-fiction, especially biographies, so I find I am most happy on trans-Atlantic crossings with lots of sea days. I remember that on my 64 day sailing in 2007 on the Amsterdam most people were not looking for the ship to provide much entertainment except for an occasional game of trivia. Conversation and reading seemed to be very prevalent. Our fellow travelers were indeed a very interesting well-travelled bunch. But the times are changing.

My favorite ships now are the smaller ones such as Oceania where planned activities are not as common. But I think there is validity to the criticism of HAL for not having pre-planned enough activites when there is an unscheduled day at sea since the line seems to want to compete with Princess and Celebrity if not RCI which seems to have so many activities that the joy of sailing on the sea has become almost an afterthought. The new HAL ship Konigsdam offers an increased number of activities and venues so obviously that is the direction that HAL is taking.

Weather in that part of the world can be unsettled at this time of year. People tend to forget that hurricane season lasts until December 1, but it is something to be aware of when booking cruises in the fall.

(I speak from experience, having lived in the Caribbean for eight years. Hurricane Lenny was a category four storm when it hit St. Croix, USVI, at its peak on November 17, 1999.)