Australians get ripped off with bogus "sale" drinks etc

So all of us Aussies that have a cruise booked get an email,

And it's on Facebook that there is 30% off drink package and other on board items eg spa.

But hurry! There is only 2 days to get the deal!

So my daughter and friends go into the agent, and try to purchase, but she says

"That was a mistake email, it was only meant to go to USA patrons. "

***!

It's been a genuine sale. The drink prices are/were discounted.

No, not true, logged onto cruise planner, eg drink package $65 day pre sale ie when we booked, sale price $66 per day. The agent phoned RC whilst the girls were there and she was told it was a mistake. 😓

That's not true at all. I bought the package on sale on Saturday $66 Aus including gratuities. It works out to $42 US before gratuities - the normal price is $55 or more

Well that's really confusing, we got a colour pamphlet when we booked back in March, it said $65 per day, for one of the alcohol deals.

Also the other things on "sale" were exactly the same like shore trips, that was what the girls were wanting to book.

As I said, the agent phoned RC to ask why the shore trip was not discounted and they said the email was a mistake, only intended for USA.

??? Oh well had my whine.

No, not true, logged onto cruise planner, eg drink package $65 day pre sale ie when we booked, sale price $66 per day. The agent phoned RC whilst the girls were there and she was told it was a mistake. 😓

When is your cruise and on which ship? I know that for the excursions and dining discounts some sailings were excluded or the sale only went for sailings up to a certain date. Maybe it was the same for drinks? Just speculating. I've been watching our Navigator cruise planner for months and discounts have come and gone. This is the second time the weekend sale has popped up with 20-30% off various things. Plus new dining specials (2 for $30) have showed up closer to sail date that weren't there before.

PS, you can't really tell someone who said they actually got the sale price that it's not true. :)

When is your cruise and on which ship? I know that for the excursions and dining discounts some sailings were excluded or the sale only went for sailings up to a certain date. Maybe it was the same for drinks? Just speculating. I've been watching our Navigator cruise planner for months and discounts have come and gone. This is the second time the weekend sale has popped up with 20-30% off various things. Plus new dining specials (2 for $30) have showed up closer to sail date that weren't there before.

PS, you can't really tell someone who said they actually got the sale price that it's not true. :)

Sorry, I just thought it would be the same for everyone, and the advertising was misleading

Well that's really confusing, we got a colour pamphlet when we booked back in March, it said $65 per day, for one of the alcohol deals.

Also the other things on "sale" were exactly the same like shore trips, that was what the girls were wanting to book.

As I said, the agent phoned RC to ask why the shore trip was not discounted and they said the email was a mistake, only intended for USA.

??? Oh well had my whine.

The packages have recently changed. There used to be 3 different levels of alchohol package but now only one. With the old ones the most expensive was $65 US per day, perhaps that is what the pamphlet was showing? Otherwise it may have been one of the lower ones working out to $65 Aus but no longer available.

It's a shame they were given incorrect information. Unfortunately it's often the case that the customer service reps are not well informed.

It's been a genuine sale. The drink prices are/were discounted.

Wrong. My drink package had a 20% off, then a 30% off, then no sale and the price never changed. However, some people do get the discount. Depends on the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wrong. My drink package had a 20% off, then a 30% off, then no sale and the price never changed. However, some people do get the discount. Depends on the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Correct. It did not work on our cruise in 12 days but it did for our March 2017 one.

So all of us Aussies that have a cruise booked get an email,

And it's on Facebook that there is 30% off drink package and other on board items eg spa.

But hurry! There is only 2 days to get the deal!

So my daughter and friends go into the agent, and try to purchase, but she says

"That was a mistake email, it was only meant to go to USA patrons. "

***!

I got that email too. I live in the US and none of it was applicable to my upcoming Freedom cruise.

I think it wasn't your location, it was just that your sailing didn't have a sale. You're lucky you got an email!! I never have about something like this.

I think saying you were "ripped off" is a little extreme. People love these strong words on this forum lol. Not trying to start anything just an observation.

Edited by atnolan94

It is not "discrimination" against Australians, but I think it may just affect cruises not originating in the US. I live in the US and have an 11 day for next year leaving from Sydney. The prices before the "sale" are the exact same prices with the "sale".

Although, I did notice that the drink package price (whether pre sale or not) did not have a separate gratuity component like it does when I buy if for a US cruise. It appears to be already included in the price.

No, not true, logged onto cruise planner, eg drink package $65 day pre sale ie when we booked, sale price $66 per day. The agent phoned RC whilst the girls were there and she was told it was a mistake.

Actually it is true.

For drinks packages they've had a sale running in Australia for some time - we've been more fortunate than most of the world - so the price was $66 earlier as it was also on sale then.

If you buy it onboard you will pay more. And if you wait til the sale is over you will also pay more. And those who bought before that sale had paid more.

So you agree that it was actually right.

I didn't say every single cruise ever got the discount. However, I pointed out that there were discounts in line with the promotion. Just as you agreed, hence correct.

Drink packages vary depending on the ship, the itinerary and the length of the cruise. Early this year I purchased 2 (premium) beverage packages for our 15n Christmas Cruise on the Ovation from Sydney to NZ and paid AU $1148 per person (inc 20% disc and included gratuities); in September the price dropped, so I cancelled and repurchased for AU$1035 per person (again inc 20% disc and inc grats) and in October there was a further price drop, so again I cancelled and repurchased for AU$ 996 per person (inc 20% disc and inc grats). So it pays to keep an eye on their prices. Whilst ever they keep price dropping, I shall keep on cancelling and repurchasing.

Drink packages vary depending on the ship, the itinerary and the length of the cruise. Early this year I purchased 2 (premium) beverage packages for our 15n Christmas Cruise on the Ovation from Sydney to NZ and paid AU $1148 per person (inc 20% disc and included gratuities); in September the price dropped, so I cancelled and repurchased for AU$1035 per person (again inc 20% disc and inc grats) and in October there was a further price drop, so again I cancelled and repurchased for AU$ 996 per person (inc 20% disc and inc grats). So it pays to keep an eye on their prices. Whilst ever they keep price dropping, I shall keep on cancelling and repurchasing.

Thank you for that. I will keep eye on it.

The real issue was the shore excursions, with the agent saying RC made a mistake with the promotional email and was only offering the discount for US market. Do those cruise excursions keep changing prices too?

The girls sail on December 13.

Thank you for that. I will keep eye on it.

The real issue was the shore excursions, with the agent saying RC made a mistake with the promotional email and was only offering the discount for US market. Do those cruise excursions keep changing prices too?

The girls sail on December 13.

I can't comment on the shore excursions as I find them too expensive - we always use Viator.com and find the same excursions, only cheaper. You can buy them in your own currency before you go.