Is internet fast enough to actually work on?

The internet is only good on ships with OB3 satellite service like Oasis and Quantum class. Rest even if they call it VOOM is really sad.

We just completed a two weeks TA cruise on Brilliance and it was the worst I've ever experienced.

Speed test below were early in the cruise when performance was at its best. It got worst once we left Europe.

BrilSpeedTestOct21.jpg.10d646abdf1565bf6ee266087f4fe427.jpg

BrSpTestOct23.jpg.a5a52650539d4cde94fe415d95ccc437.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

I have "worked" from the following ships over the last 6-8 years....

Freedom

Adventure

Brilliance

Majesty

none of them had VOOM when I sailed...most recently on Freedom B2B in March, 2016. All of them were B2B, from 7 to 14 days each. Each time I had a laptop and a cell phone to connect with.

My experiences have been varied. It worked, but here are my tips:

1. if you are simply going to be keeping up with and answering email, it should work fine. I set my Gmail web interface for the slower speed setting.

2. sending data files may work, depending on their size.

3. Using a net extender of some kind to log on to a remote server to access files/programs can be a crap shoot.

4. this is obvious...be an early riser! Passenger internet traffic is at its lowest early in the morning. I do most of my work by 6AM and don't try to be connected all day. Then I'll log in around noon and then again around 6PM.

5. if it's just email contact you need, logon, download, logoff. Answer emails, logon, send, logoff. Rinse and repeat.

6. The service also varies GREATLY with where you login. On Freedom, it wasn't too bad in my cabin, but awful on my balcony ( bummer....office room with a view!) On Brilliance, I literally had to be somewhere in the Centrum to connect.

7. I have also had fairly good luck buying the all the time package and leaving my phone connected. That way, I can monitor emails coming in and even send a quick reply. Of course, when that happens on the ship, I am usually in a lounge chair up on deck...

It can be done, but there are limitations on the non OB3 ships. Your mileage may vary, but I was able to do it for years. I am looking forward to retiring this year so I don't have to worry too much about the connectivity at sea!

I purchased the "Surf" and saw 0.5Mbps. 0.5Mbps was enough for Facebook, web browsing, and streaming on low quality.

It seems like all ships are capped at about .5Mbs on Surf, but the experience is much better on a ship with O3B (like Oasis) vs. one without.