Tried Allure...

We saved up and took a big family trip on the Allure of the Seas.

The ship was amazing, there's no denying that.

The service was rough. Several times my husband and I said "this would have never happened on Carnival."

When you spend nearly the whole week missing something you had somewhere else, I think it's a sign.

I know poor service and rude crew can happen on any ship, but it was just bad. I guess for $3400 I expected more, you know?

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed on the Allure in February....and it was our favorite ship/cruise to date. We fully expected it to be 'too big', 'too many passengers', 'too crowded' etc but it was NONE of the above. We had excellent service all around and found that ship to have so many venues for passengers to be in that NONE were ever very crowded.....we just loved it. In fact so much, that we have booked the new 'sister' ship, Harmony OTS, as well. So sorry you found service to be poor, that indeed can ruin an experience. But we found it stellar in all aspects!!:confused::)

I have not been on Allure but yes, I have certainly had a similar experience on Freedom of the Seas. We went on this fabulous ship in 2012 and it was a solid 9 out of 10 experience. Our last cruise on Freedom of the Seas was maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10. The excellent service was just no longer there in any area.

I too realize this can happen on any cruiseline on any ship but I was less than impressed with Royal the last time I sailed with them. I DO want to try and Oasis class ship someday though so I can say Ive been there, done that. Maybe with Oasis coming to Port Canaveral I will do just that in 2018. For now, Im all about some Carnival Magic though ;)

We did a cruise on Oasis, sister ship of Allure, a couple of years ago. We didn't find the service bad, just different. It was as if the crew was not encouraged to interact with guests the way we were accustomed to on Carnival. Of course, there were no dancing waiters (I can take it or leave it), but we noticed if we started a conversation with any of our waiters, their side of the conversation was just what I would call formal. On our 7-day cruise, I found one bartender who was interactive, and we told him he belonged on a Carnival ship, LOL. I think it's just a difference in philosophy.

BTW, we also thought the ship was very impressive and the entertainment top notch. We preferred the dining room food on our Carnival cruises and the buffet on the Oasis. I don't like comparing one whole cruise line to another in generalities, but at the time, we hadn't sailed on the Breeze yet, so I felt like we weren't really comparing apples to apples. Since then, we have sailed on the Breeze twice. Our opinions didn't change. There are a few things we like better on the Breeze.

We would definitely sail on Oasis, Allure, or Harmony again, but only if the price is right. We got a great deal on that Oasis cruise (it was $300 less than a similar outside balcony on the Breeze for that same week). We will sail the Vista next (after our upcoming Carnival Magic cruise) unless we find another great deal on one of the Oasis class ships, or unless the Vista prices don't come down as much as I'd like by 2018.

We would definitely sail on Oasis, Allure, or Harmony again, but only if the price is right. We got a great deal on that Oasis cruise (it was $300 less than a similar outside balcony on the Breeze for that same week). We will sail the Vista next (after our upcoming Carnival Magic cruise) unless we find another great deal on one of the Oasis class ships, or unless the Vista prices don't come down as much as I'd like by 2018.

It seems now that Oasis is "older" and is coming to Port Canaveral her prices are coming down to be inline with Freedom of the Seas prices, the ship she is replacing, or even less in some cases. :) I will try her some day.

Edited by ryano

It seems now that Oasis is "older" and is coming to Port Canaveral her prices are coming down to be inline with Freedom of the Seas prices, the ship she is replacing or even less in some cases. :) I will try her someday.

I believe you are correct, they are coming down. Our experience on Oasis was similar to the Op, while we were def impressed with the ship, the overall experience did not hit our expectation bar. I would not say the service was bad....just not WOW (pun intended). Add in the price difference......

I haven't sailed the Allure, but we was disappointed on the one Royal cruise we were on. The service was fine, but I find Carnival staff to be warmer. I was very disappointed in the food on Royal. The worst meal I have ever had on a cruise was in the specialty restaurant on Royal. It was completely inedible. Certainly not worth the jacked up cost. That being said, if the price was comparable to Carnival I would try them again.

Edited by Can'tWait2SetSail

We saved up and took a big family trip on the Allure of the Seas.

The ship was amazing, there's no denying that.

The service was rough. Several times my husband and I said "this would have never happened on Carnival."

When you spend nearly the whole week missing something you had somewhere else, I think it's a sign.

I know poor service and rude crew can happen on any ship, but it was just bad. I guess for $3400 I expected more, you know?

I also tried Allure this past May. We had a very good experience. Although it was HUGE and unique, the only thing that really "wowed" me was the entertainment. I felt that really beats out anything I've ever seen on a cruise ship. The overall decor was very bland and very "shopping mall looking", and I guess I expected much more. The sweeping views of the ocean from many public areas is missing (which I already knew ahead of time).

We had exterior balcony cabins for my family. Hubby and I were in an accessible, and it was absolutely enormous with floor to ceiling windows and huge sliding door. But my kids cabin was so cramped (their configuration was that the bed came first and then the desk/couch came second). Getting to the closet was horrible.

We thought the buffet food was mostly hit or miss (mostly a miss). The carved meats were always dried out every day. Their idea of "Americanized food selection" was just hamburgers and hotdogs. Their free style coke machines were always empty, and I found it hard to believe that on a ship that size, they only had those machines in two spots..the buffet and next to the pizza place on the promenade.

The main dining room food was almost identical to what we've had on our Carnival cruises, and the food was very good. However, the waitstaff was so very rushed. I felt like they couldn't keep up with the # of passengers. They do work very hard, and I did feel bad for them. On our Carnival cruises, the waitstaff always found time to chit chat with us. This was not possible on the Allure.

Same went for our cabin steward. He was very good, but no time to really talk.

I never felt like the ship was over crowded, and many times we were the only ones in specific areas where you would think it would be very crowded.

My family and I did have a great time nonetheless, and we really loved their cantilevered whirlpools and solarium pool area at night...such a lovely ambiance. Their solarium pool is by far my favorite pool so far (the adult only pool on the Ruby Princess being my second fav).

I do still like Royal and would sail on the Harmony.

We sailed on the Allure in February....and it was our favorite ship/cruise to date. We fully expected it to be 'too big', 'too many passengers', 'too crowded' etc but it was NONE of the above. We had excellent service all around and found that ship to have so many venues for passengers to be in that NONE were ever very crowded.....we just loved it. In fact so much, that we have booked the new 'sister' ship, Harmony OTS, as well. So sorry you found service to be poor, that indeed can ruin an experience. But we found it stellar in all aspects!!:confused::)

Totally agree with buddylover's comments - we tried Allure last January and were definitely "WOWed", particularly with exemplary Customer Service and crew friendliness, the way activities and entertainment are dispersed around the ship and ability to make entertainment reservations. The adults Atrium is fantastic. We scheduled Oasis at nearby Canaveral next year. Ken

Edited by Ken076

Anyone remember "Dirty Dancing" and you have the rules that state no messing with the customer? Wait staff should be efficient and invisible and magically bring you your food when expected.

Traditionally, bartenders are social because bars are a social place.

Doing a job well, without socializing with guest is not really an act of being not friendly, but rather, executing the job as required by the employer.

Oasis class ships are big ships, which means often times you will visit every bar on the ship, and not get to know the bartender as often times when you only visit one bar every night/day.

I have never had an issue with the staff on any large RCCL ship, but I do understand that the environment on the ship, is more towards giving excellent and efficient service, instead of hanging out with customers, telling sob stories of their 5 kids, living in a tin roof shack back home without running water and electricity only 2 hours a day.

Our main issue was the MDR.

Our water was never refilled. Never.

Our server was nowhere to be found unless he was bringing out a meal. Assistant waiter we only saw at the beginning of dinner.

Food came out incorrectly. Medium steaks cooked medium rare to medium. Raspberry dressing instead of ranch.

Johnny Rockets staff was phenomenal.

Anyone remember "Dirty Dancing" and you have the rules that state no messing with the customer? Wait staff should be efficient and invisible and magically bring you your food when expected.

Doing a job well, without socializing with guest is not really an act of being not friendly, but rather, executing the job as required by the employer.

Oasis class ships are big ships, which means often times you will visit every bar on the ship, and not get to know the bartender as often times when you only visit one bar every night/day.

I have never had an issue with the staff on any large RCCL ship, but I do understand that the environment on the ship, is more towards giving excellent and efficient service, instead of hanging out with customers, telling sob stories of their 5 kids, living in a tin roof shack back home without running water and electricity only 2 hours a day.

Exactly! We've never felt the need to have full on conversations with wait staff and stewards. So weird how people actually complain that they didn't get to chit chat with the crew. I wonder if these are the same people that back goodie bags for their stewards :p

Exactly! We've never felt the need to have full on conversations with wait staff and stewards. So weird how people actually complain that they didn't get to chit chat with the crew. I wonder if these are the same people that back goodie bags for their stewards :p

I just want good service. Nothing more, nothing less. I dont care about small talk with people I dont know and will never see again. I did not receive good or even mediocre service the last time I was on an RC ship which is why Im not currently booked with them.

Edited by ryano

Hmmm, so funny :rolleyes: The ONLY time Ive had sob stories from the crew was on the last two or three RC cruises Ive been on. Keep on spewing your falsehoods and outright lies while wearing your RC blinders though if thats what helps you sleep better at night.

Edited by ryano

For the record, I totally don't expect the world. But I do expect my food to be the temperature I request and I expect my glass to be offered to be refilled.

A waiter in the WJ that was assigned to the section I was eating breakfast with my 11 month old at (this was at 7 am--almost right after opening) was standing around. I politely asked if he could find me a high chair for the baby since I had done a lap and didn't see one out (which Carnival usually has out in sight). He said "if you don't see one, they are all in use, but I'll check." There were maybe 15 people total in the WJ at this hour. No high chairs were in use that I could see when walking around. I waited for him to return, he never did.

Another WJ person refilling the mashed potatoes was talking to another employee about all of the "fat Americans"

Again, it's just things like this that got under my skin. I don't expect the world. I'm thrilled to be cruising, but I don't think anyone should stand for that kind of service

Also the Special Needs department guaranteed me certain things regarding my 3 year old with special needs and the Adventure Ocean staff regarding assistance with toileting assistance and pull ups. When I signed him up, they told me that information was incorrect and they could not help him or make exceptions.

I understand they likely do not want a child abuse/mistreatment allegation when helping a child use the restroom but I had confirmation prior to my cruise that his Needs would be met. The lack of communication there was upsetting as he was really looking forward to AO.

He did participate for four days. The fourth day he had an accident. Nobody called us and we had a phone. B was upset when we picked him up and his shorts were soaked. There were only 7 children in there with two staff so I'm not sure how nobody saw that. It was very obvious. After that night, he had panic attacks when we would try to take him back. He's autistic with sensory issues, fwiw.

For the record, I totally don't expect the world. But I do expect my food to be the temperature I request and I expect my glass to be offered to be refilled.

Those are very reasonable expectations :) Especially when you are on a cruise line that supposedly is geared "more towards giving excellent and efficient service" instead of hanging out with the guests. :cool: That is not what I call excellent and efficient service at all but I totally understand because that was my last RC experience to the "t".

Edited by ryano

Hmmm, so funny :rolleyes: The ONLY time Ive had sob stories from the crew was on the last two or three RC cruises Ive been on. Keep on spewing your falsehoods and outright lies while wearing your RC blinders though if thats what helps you sleep better at night.

Thank You Mr Ryano!!!!

All The Best

Michael

So what was it that you missed from Carnival and what happened that would never happen on Carnival?

I know exactly what you are talking about as I feel the exact same way when I take an NCL cruise.

Also the Special Needs department guaranteed me certain things regarding my 3 year old with special needs and the Adventure Ocean staff regarding assistance with toileting assistance and pull ups. When I signed him up, they told me that information was incorrect and they could not help him or make exceptions.

I understand they likely do not want a child abuse/mistreatment allegation when helping a child use the restroom but I had confirmation prior to my cruise that his Needs would be met. The lack of communication there was upsetting as he was really looking forward to AO.

He did participate for four days. The fourth day he had an accident. Nobody called us and we had a phone. B was upset when we picked him up and his shorts were soaked. There were only 7 children in there with two staff so I'm not sure how nobody saw that. It was very obvious. After that night, he had panic attacks when we would try to take him back. He's autistic with sensory issues, fwiw.

This would have been first on the list for me. Took you a while to post about it but glad you did. When they make promises like this and fail to deliver, it can really impact your whole cruise, and that's unacceptable.

I hope you try to contact them for a resolution.

This would have been first on the list for me. Took you a while to post about it but glad you did. When they make promises like this and fail to deliver, it can really impact your whole cruise, and that's unacceptable.

I hope you try to contact them for a resolution.

I'm going to try. I debating posting it because it was pretty personal and it's not like it is a common thing like poor dining service. Didn't know if it would impact anyone.

I will say that the Royal Babies and Tots staff were completely wonderful. They took great care of my little one 6/7 days. They were professional, compassionate and the nursery was clean.

So what was it that you missed from Carnival and what happened that would never happen on Carnival?

I know exactly what you are talking about as I feel the exact same way when I take an NCL cruise.

Every experience we have had with Carnival has been very positive. The dining room staff have always been attentive, asked us our names, and sort of remembered preferences.

On the first night, we asked for milk for my three year old. It took half an hour. We understood. We asked if it would be possible to have milk waiting when we got there the remainder of the cruise. We even said that if it wasn't possible, to let us know, and we would get milk from RS or WJ to bring with us. He assured it was no problem. Never happened.

We never experienced snotty WJ/Buffet staff on all of our carnival cruises. All of them had employees go out of their way to help guests, on this ship, it was almost as if some of them couldn't be bothered. Such as my high chair story I posted above.

It just feels friendlier, especially when it comes to younger families on Carnival