Review on Jewel to Mexico

Dorothy

I have cruised several times in the past with NCL, RCCL, Celebrity and Princess. However, I took a break from cruising for personal reasons and after 10 years, I cruised on NCL’s Jewel last week. I was very excited about this cruise because I have such fond memories and know how wonderful cruising can be. But, after much anticipation, I was very let down. My cruise wasn’t a complete waste, but there were some very serious negatives, which has changed my opinion about NCL and highly doubt I will cruise with them again.

We cruised the Jewel to Mexico out of the Port of Los Angeles. We flew into LAX the morning of departure and NCL’s transfer bus picked us up. Once we arrived at the cruise terminal, we were told we could leave our luggage with the porters at our own risk. Huh? Turns out, the porters are not employees of NCL, but rather a 3rd party company. With that ominous warning, we opted to take our bags with us and we got nearly through security when an employee said we need to give our bags to the porters out front. So, we back tracked through the line and we found a porter in the building to take our bags and we hoped to see them again. We had arrived at the cruise terminal around 12:30pm, so the big rush was over, but once we made our way back through security again, we discovered we could take our bags with us after all. Coming aboard was very unceremonious. We walked in and an employee said to us, the cabins are ready if we want to go to the cabin. Really? Normally, they take a picture as you come aboard and you are handed a Welcome Aboard Cocktail.

I’m not going to go through each day, but rather give you the good, the bad and the ugly as briefly as I can.

Okay, so embarkation was not what I was used to, but I also discovered our concerns about our luggage going missing could be a reality. It wasn’t us, thank goodness, but we did get a notice that some passengers were missing bags and a brief case and to please be on the lookout for them, in case they were miss delivered.

The buffet had a good selection and the food was decent. On the first day and on sea days, the buffet staff had great difficulty in keeping up with demand. Some food items would run out, drinks would run out of the machines and silverware would run out. The staff did the best they could, but it was just too many people at one time.

We went to the main dining room on the first night and it was so busy with long lines, we kept going between Tsar’s and Azura to see if we could get in. Finally, we got seated in Tsars. I wish I could say the food was good. It was completely inedible. In fact, we ended up walking out and going to the buffet. I ordered a pork roast which came dry with no gravy. That wasn’t too bad, but my husband had ordered a roasted steak. It was two slices of meat with so much fat and gristle, it was impossible to find any part of it that was edible. The baked potato was half a potato that was hard as a rock and cold, with a spritz of sour cream down the middle. The corn on the cob, was a little cobbett that looked like it had been soaking in water for hours and was completely soggy. When I saw my husband trying to bite into that cold hard potato, I told him not to eat any more and let’s go to the buffet. We did get a better meal there and we never went back to the dining rooms, the remainder of the trip.

We did have 3 nights with reservations in Cagney’s, Le Bistro and Teppenyaki. I’m happy to report the food and service were excellent in these locations.

We also ate at O’Sheehan’s several times and found the food to be pretty good. I had no complaints and we tried most everything on the menu.

We saw Chin Chin’s was busy every night, so we thought it must be good. We made reservations. Again, another disappointment. It started off well because we ordered a sushi roll as an appetizer from the sushi bar. The sushi was excellent. But, then the rest of the meal arrived. The fried rice was old and hard. The beef chow fun, did not have the correct chow fun noodles and the meat wasn’t right. We ordered Kung Pao Chicken and Sweet and Sour Chicken, but both were terrible. Apparently, they have preprepared cubes of chicken. They throw some on a plate, pour on the sauce and throw on a chopped green onion for garnish. The Kung Pao sauce was not correct and the sweet and sour sauce was partially solidified and not in a good way. The chicken in the sweet and sour is supposed to be breaded in corn starch and fried prior to putting sauce on. It was not. Again, we got up and went to the buffet.

We had originally planned to get massages at the spa, but the prices were very high. So, we checked out the thermal spa, but it didn’t seem worth $300 for the 2 of us just to use the showers and the hot tub and warmed lounges. I think the spa is missing out on business because the prices were so high for what they offered. Why not do mini massages? Maybe the neck and shoulders? Maybe just a foot massage? Some money for a mini massage, is better than no money at all. Towards the end of the week, they had a special with a list of what was included, but anyone that knows what is included with a massage, knows most of the list should be included with a regular massage, so it wasn’t really extra.

We booked two shore excursions. The Mexican Fiesta was better than the Bar Hopping tour. But, here is what we didn’t like about them. In past tours, everything was covered except the tip to the tour guide. For the Mexican Fiesta, the person serving our food, the dancers, bar staff all expected tips. The person bringing us drinks, did not tell us how much they cost and everyone at the table was surprised when the server came by wanting $6 per drink ordered. Some of the older women at the table were scrapping up money and/or borrowing from each other because this was an unexpected cost. After the Fiesta, we thought the guide was taking us back to the ship, since this was a 4 hour tour and the time was up. We passed right by the cruise terminal and kept going further away until we got to a jewelry store and the guide said it was a 20 minute stop to use the restrooms and then a tour by foot. It was way too hot, so we stayed on the bus while everyone else got off. The driver drove through town and parked the bus under a bridge and kept the AC on for us. 1 hour and 40 minutes later we picked everyone up and headed back to the ship. Basically, this stop was to take everyone to a jewelry store to buy something. I didn’t see the need for this stop because when we first started, we stopped at a Jewelry Store. It is our opinion, the driver and tour guide got paid, but many of the others did not and made their money based on the tips received and the jewelry store owners were probably friends of the tour guide and he was trying to bring them business. Now, because we were 2 hours late, we missed the onboard show that we wanted to see. The Bar Hopping Tour was even worse. We thought it was a free drink at each location to try out what they had to offer and we could buy more if we choose to. The first location was beautiful and relaxing. They offered one tiny mojito in a shot glass. Then the waiters came around to take drink and food orders. The second location gave us a free mini beer. Again, they tried to get food and drink orders from us. They had some wonderful dancers and then sent a little boy dancer around with a hat to collect tips. The last location was a restaurant in an alley in the golden zone. Again, we received one small drink and were expected to order food. Do they really expect us to order 3 meals an hour apart? The money we spent on the bar hopping tour, we could have paid a taxi driver to take us where ever we wanted to go. We felt like we were all being taken advantage of. I don’t think the others felt like us though, because they were all fairly drunk and feeling no pain. It is my opinion, we would have saved a lot of money and time, by just hiring a taxi driver on the dock and paying him to take us to where we want to go. We, also, would not have felt like we were being held captive and could have spent the time we wanted off the ship, doing what we wanted to do.

The bright spots of the trip was: The service received by our cabin steward was excellent. The bar service was very good. Drinks were made well and we particularly enjoyed the bar in the Atrium and Magnum’s where we could relax and enjoy the live music or the piano player.

The shows we saw were Band on the Run, Le Cirque Bijou, Chip Romero (Magician) and Steven Scott (Comedian). All of the entertainment was exceptional.

Lastly, we had a mini suite. Cabin 11130 to be exact. I was reading some reviews about noise from the buffet above, but it wasn’t too bad. The only time we heard noise from the buffet was if kids were running and when women wore high heels on dress up nights. I actually liked the convenience of being so close to the buffet. In the mornings, I took the platter under the ice bucket in the room and ran up for coffee and juice rather than brewing it in the cabin. And a few times, I ran up and grabbed a couple pannini sandwiches when we got hungry and needed a light meal.

So there you go. The good, the bad and the ugly. I wish I had a better review to give, but this is our honest experience. Some may think I’m too harsh, but I know what my past cruises were like and they were all wonderful. This one was a real let down. It was my husband’s first cruise and I had hoped it was going to be something he would love, so we could cruise every year, but he is now very turned off and the only way we will cruise again is to see Alaska and the islands in the Caribbean. But, he says it will be a very long time before we try it again.

Dorothy,

I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy some aspects of the cruise. DH and I are sailing on the Jewel in March. We are in an inside far aft in the 11130's so are happy to hear noise is not really an issue.

I'm not super picky about food if someone else is cooking and serving it to me, but sounds like you had bad luck the first night. Did you try the MDR any nights after the first? Was it any better? Also we tend to avoid the buffet at breakfast and prefer the MDR. Did you do any breakfasts in the MDR, and were they ok, or did they take a long time?

I'm willing to try some of the upsell restaurants, and debating on a package or a la carte. Would you say any of them stood out as a must try?

I plan on eating at O'Sheehans many times as we are late nighters, so glad to hear it is solid.

As far as ports go, we plan to do our own excursions. Did you have to get tender tickets for Cabo, or had you purchased an excursion for this port?

I was glad to hear you enjoyed the entertainment.. we love the shows! Did you attend any of the 70's, 80's or the White Hot party? Or see people dressed up for them? I love theme nights, so would love to know if people are actively participating.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

I was also on this cruise and did not find any food issues in any of the restaurants: Tzar's, Azura, O'Sheehan's, Chin Chin or La Cucina. I will that if you have an issue with sodium, Chin Chin and Teppanyaki. for me, my two favorites are La Cucina and Cagney's. I love O'Sheehan's for breakfast mostly because it is mid ship on Deck 8, it does have a limited menu however.

It has been at least 6 years since they have served trays of champagne upon boarding any Norwegian ship. Pictures are taken inside the terminal before reaching the ship. With the "Freestyle "concept, most people to not dress up as formally as they have in the past even on the night when the Captain is available for pictures.

In Cabo, (which we did not make due to a mechanical issue), you will need a tender ticket. If you have purchased an excursion through Norwegian, your excursion ticket also serves as your tender ticket. Information about the free tender tickets will be in the Freestyle Daily the night before arriving in Cabo.

On my cruise (9-16October), I saw lots of people in costumes for the various themed night parties especially the 70's party. Have not seen that many 70 hairstyles in a long. Costumes are not required for any of the parties. Just come and have fun. The music for all of them are very loud especially if the parties have to be held inside because of the weather.

The Jewel is a wonderful ship with a great staff. This was my 4th cruise on the Jewel and my 30th Norwegian cruise. I have 2 cruises on The Jewel booked for 2017.

I have cruised several times in the past with NCL, RCCL, Celebrity and Princess. However, I took a break from cruising for personal reasons and after 10 years, I cruised on NCL’s Jewel last week. I was very excited about this cruise because I have such fond memories and know how wonderful cruising can be. But, after much anticipation, I was very let down. My cruise wasn’t a complete waste, but there were some very serious negatives, which has changed my opinion about NCL and highly doubt I will cruise with them again.

We cruised the Jewel to Mexico out of the Port of Los Angeles. We flew into LAX the morning of departure and NCL’s transfer bus picked us up. Once we arrived at the cruise terminal, we were told we could leave our luggage with the porters at our own risk. Huh? Turns out, the porters are not employees of NCL, but rather a 3rd party company. With that ominous warning, we opted to take our bags with us and we got nearly through security when an employee said we need to give our bags to the porters out front. So, we back tracked through the line and we found a porter in the building to take our bags and we hoped to see them again. We had arrived at the cruise terminal around 12:30pm, so the big rush was over, but once we made our way back through security again, we discovered we could take our bags with us after all. Coming aboard was very unceremonious. We walked in and an employee said to us, the cabins are ready if we want to go to the cabin. Really? Normally, they take a picture as you come aboard and you are handed a Welcome Aboard Cocktail.

I’m not going to go through each day, but rather give you the good, the bad and the ugly as briefly as I can.

Okay, so embarkation was not what I was used to, but I also discovered our concerns about our luggage going missing could be a reality. It wasn’t us, thank goodness, but we did get a notice that some passengers were missing bags and a brief case and to please be on the lookout for them, in case they were miss delivered.

The buffet had a good selection and the food was decent. On the first day and on sea days, the buffet staff had great difficulty in keeping up with demand. Some food items would run out, drinks would run out of the machines and silverware would run out. The staff did the best they could, but it was just too many people at one time.

We went to the main dining room on the first night and it was so busy with long lines, we kept going between Tsar’s and Azura to see if we could get in. Finally, we got seated in Tsars. I wish I could say the food was good. It was completely inedible. In fact, we ended up walking out and going to the buffet. I ordered a pork roast which came dry with no gravy. That wasn’t too bad, but my husband had ordered a roasted steak. It was two slices of meat with so much fat and gristle, it was impossible to find any part of it that was edible. The baked potato was half a potato that was hard as a rock and cold, with a spritz of sour cream down the middle. The corn on the cob, was a little cobbett that looked like it had been soaking in water for hours and was completely soggy. When I saw my husband trying to bite into that cold hard potato, I told him not to eat any more and let’s go to the buffet. We did get a better meal there and we never went back to the dining rooms, the remainder of the trip.

We did have 3 nights with reservations in Cagney’s, Le Bistro and Teppenyaki. I’m happy to report the food and service were excellent in these locations.

We also ate at O’Sheehan’s several times and found the food to be pretty good. I had no complaints and we tried most everything on the menu.

We saw Chin Chin’s was busy every night, so we thought it must be good. We made reservations. Again, another disappointment. It started off well because we ordered a sushi roll as an appetizer from the sushi bar. The sushi was excellent. But, then the rest of the meal arrived. The fried rice was old and hard. The beef chow fun, did not have the correct chow fun noodles and the meat wasn’t right. We ordered Kung Pao Chicken and Sweet and Sour Chicken, but both were terrible. Apparently, they have preprepared cubes of chicken. They throw some on a plate, pour on the sauce and throw on a chopped green onion for garnish. The Kung Pao sauce was not correct and the sweet and sour sauce was partially solidified and not in a good way. The chicken in the sweet and sour is supposed to be breaded in corn starch and fried prior to putting sauce on. It was not. Again, we got up and went to the buffet.

We had originally planned to get massages at the spa, but the prices were very high. So, we checked out the thermal spa, but it didn’t seem worth $300 for the 2 of us just to use the showers and the hot tub and warmed lounges. I think the spa is missing out on business because the prices were so high for what they offered. Why not do mini massages? Maybe the neck and shoulders? Maybe just a foot massage? Some money for a mini massage, is better than no money at all. Towards the end of the week, they had a special with a list of what was included, but anyone that knows what is included with a massage, knows most of the list should be included with a regular massage, so it wasn’t really extra.

We booked two shore excursions. The Mexican Fiesta was better than the Bar Hopping tour. But, here is what we didn’t like about them. In past tours, everything was covered except the tip to the tour guide. For the Mexican Fiesta, the person serving our food, the dancers, bar staff all expected tips. The person bringing us drinks, did not tell us how much they cost and everyone at the table was surprised when the server came by wanting $6 per drink ordered. Some of the older women at the table were scrapping up money and/or borrowing from each other because this was an unexpected cost. After the Fiesta, we thought the guide was taking us back to the ship, since this was a 4 hour tour and the time was up. We passed right by the cruise terminal and kept going further away until we got to a jewelry store and the guide said it was a 20 minute stop to use the restrooms and then a tour by foot. It was way too hot, so we stayed on the bus while everyone else got off. The driver drove through town and parked the bus under a bridge and kept the AC on for us. 1 hour and 40 minutes later we picked everyone up and headed back to the ship. Basically, this stop was to take everyone to a jewelry store to buy something. I didn’t see the need for this stop because when we first started, we stopped at a Jewelry Store. It is our opinion, the driver and tour guide got paid, but many of the others did not and made their money based on the tips received and the jewelry store owners were probably friends of the tour guide and he was trying to bring them business. Now, because we were 2 hours late, we missed the onboard show that we wanted to see. The Bar Hopping Tour was even worse. We thought it was a free drink at each location to try out what they had to offer and we could buy more if we choose to. The first location was beautiful and relaxing. They offered one tiny mojito in a shot glass. Then the waiters came around to take drink and food orders. The second location gave us a free mini beer. Again, they tried to get food and drink orders from us. They had some wonderful dancers and then sent a little boy dancer around with a hat to collect tips. The last location was a restaurant in an alley in the golden zone. Again, we received one small drink and were expected to order food. Do they really expect us to order 3 meals an hour apart? The money we spent on the bar hopping tour, we could have paid a taxi driver to take us where ever we wanted to go. We felt like we were all being taken advantage of. I don’t think the others felt like us though, because they were all fairly drunk and feeling no pain. It is my opinion, we would have saved a lot of money and time, by just hiring a taxi driver on the dock and paying him to take us to where we want to go. We, also, would not have felt like we were being held captive and could have spent the time we wanted off the ship, doing what we wanted to do.

The bright spots of the trip was: The service received by our cabin steward was excellent. The bar service was very good. Drinks were made well and we particularly enjoyed the bar in the Atrium and Magnum’s where we could relax and enjoy the live music or the piano player.

The shows we saw were Band on the Run, Le Cirque Bijou, Chip Romero (Magician) and Steven Scott (Comedian). All of the entertainment was exceptional.

Lastly, we had a mini suite. Cabin 11130 to be exact. I was reading some reviews about noise from the buffet above, but it wasn’t too bad. The only time we heard noise from the buffet was if kids were running and when women wore high heels on dress up nights. I actually liked the convenience of being so close to the buffet. In the mornings, I took the platter under the ice bucket in the room and ran up for coffee and juice rather than brewing it in the cabin. And a few times, I ran up and grabbed a couple pannini sandwiches when we got hungry and needed a light meal.

So there you go. The good, the bad and the ugly. I wish I had a better review to give, but this is our honest experience. Some may think I’m too harsh, but I know what my past cruises were like and they were all wonderful. This one was a real let down. It was my husband’s first cruise and I had hoped it was going to be something he would love, so we could cruise every year, but he is now very turned off and the only way we will cruise again is to see Alaska and the islands in the Caribbean. But, he says it will be a very long time before we try it again.

The first problem creating your disappointment with your cruise, was anticipating things to be the same as they were 10 years ago. Not many businesses operate the same way they did 10 years ago… ESPECIALLY the cruise industry! Have you noticed how automobiles change annually? Airlines have cut- back, or charge more for most previously included items. Hotels are constantly changing their perks and prices. Restaurants are more expensive overall, and/or maybe portions are smaller.

Also, you do not seem to have done enough research for your cruise prior to embarkation.

Yes, many ports can be quite hectic and confusing. It is not solely the cruise lines’ fault, since the ports are staffed by local workers and NCL (and others) do not control every aspect at the ports. The bottom line: all travelers should anticipate that miscommunications, delays, and mess-ups can happen.

You could have had your picture taken as you went through the embarkation process. We usually rush past the photographers with a “No thank you,” so it is difficult to believe none were available for your embarkation. You could have asked the person who told you that you could go to your room. They would have happily directed you to a photographer onboard!

By the way, NCL stopped offering a “welcome aboard” (free) drinks at least five years ago. And while we’ve only been on one Princess cruise (about three years ago), they did not offer free drink at embarkation then.

You were not happy with your excursions because of being charged for drinks that you thought were included. Again, NOT NCL’s fault. Admittedly, many of NCL’s description are vague. However, the description of the Mexican Fiesta (in Puerto Vallarta) states only that you get a free tequila tasting. It does not state that you get any full-sized beverages to enjoy for free. Nor does the Bar Hopping (in Mazatlán). Wherever you go, if not made very clear, you probably should ask, “how much?” before you order! And honestly, most people going to Mexico (and many other places) understand that they will be taken to places they did not expect because it is how those local economies thrive.

Nowhere in your review did you mention the perks you received with your booking. I am hazarding a guess that you had UBP and 3 Specialty Restaurants, as these were some of the things you did enjoy!

Okay, so food is subjective. We have had lousy, good, and great food on each of our cruises. It happens. What we have found, is that timing can be part of the issue concerning services and quality. If you choose to dine when it is the busiest, things can easily go astray. On land, or sea, this often holds true!

Regarding the Spa prices; yes, spa treatments can be pricey, but for many people that is the price of being pampered while on vacation. Often special in the spa will be listed in the Free Style Daily… usually best pricing is on PORT days. The Thermal Spa can be booked ahead of time with a $20 discount for pre-paying (can be done online around 90 days prior to embarkation.) Many people find this to be a wonderful addition to their cruise, as it offers a peaceful place to relax and unwind!

It is wonderful that you enjoyed the entertainment that you were able to see. NCL does seem to have some of the best entertainment available. Not everybody will like everything, but they do a good job of mixing things up and providing some quality entertainment!

NCL cabin stewards are, usually, highly rated for their service and friendliness. Sometimes there are hick-ups, but that can be true anywhere.

In summation, it is a shame that you were less than happy with your cruise on the NCL Jewel. Perhaps, you need to cruise with RCCL, Celebrity, or one of the more premiere lines, in order to enjoy some of the nuances that you remember from a decade ago.

Okay, I didn't make my review for someone to pick it apart and blame me for what went wrong. I think I've been on enough cruises to know what to expect. The onboard greeting was pathetic and I'm not going to try to find someone to ask where is the picture taker.....where is my cocktail? My guess is, our embarkation was later than the rest and they discontinued it. But, I do believe they should offer the same welcome as the people who arrive at 10am as the one's who arrive in the afternoon.

I realize things can change in 10 years. But, is the food onboard supposed to be that bad? My fellow cruiser onboard at the same time had a different experience and I'm glad theirs was better. Food is a very subjective topic. I happen to be an excellent cook and know how to prepare some chinese food dishes and Chin Chin's does not prepare their food correctly. But, a lot of people do not know the difference and for them, it was not a bad experience.

To answer the question on the dining room, no we never went back. Our first night experience was so bad, we ate more in O'Sheehan's and the buffet. All of the upgraded restaurants we tried, was so much more worth going to. Cagney's I think was the best. The funny thing about this, I ordered the 5oz filet mignon and when they brought it over, it was on a big plate and the filet was only about the size of a silver dollar in circumference. It looked so tiny and lonely, because they put your sides in separate dishes. But, I am not a big red meat eater, so it was perfect for me and I left satisfied. The meal was delicious.

We ate all of our breakfasts in the buffet. It was more or less for convenience. We took advantage of the omelet makers. The scrambled eggs are very runny. Other than that, the food in the buffet for breakfast was good and didn't feel the need to try something else.

I wrote my review as my opinion of MY experience. I don't want to hear that I should have done more research. I DID do research. No one else posted that the porters were a 3rd party company. So I did. I saw nothing about the shore excursions that I booked. The Jewel also just came back from Alaska, so there was nothing on Mexico before I left.

I don't blame the Mexican people for wanting the tips. I love Mexico and have been many times and understand this is how they make their money. However, when you pay hundreds of dollars for an excursion through NCL, these people should have been compensated, so we don't get nickeled and dimed throughout what should be a fun time.

I am happy for those who had a better experience than me.

Thank you for your honest review of your experience. Please don't let other peoples negativity get you down!

Interesting, my friend was on the same cruise and was very disappointed with her experience as well. She said the food, even in the specialty restaurants, was not good. She's been on about 30 cruises over the years, so I value her opinion. One of our other close friends leaves on the Jewel this Sunday, so I'll be interested to hear if she has a similar experience.

Thank you for writing the review. I appreciate it! I hope my experience in December is different, but I appreciate you telling your experience. It also helps me a lot and validates my decision to not eat in the main dining rooms. So, thank you! I am sorry though you didn't enjoy. Hopefully your next cruise is better.

appreciate your review. I know the Porters are not NCL employees, BUT I was surprised and a little scared that NCL bus personnel told you to use porters at your own risk. I know any size luggage that fits through airport security can go through NCL, but the bigger check on size won't go through NCL's just like the airline. Did "bus personnel;" advise what to do with bigger luggage?? Know when you got there that you did use Porters. Curious to what their alternative was for guests arriving with bigger luggage.

Thank you for your kind comments. I probably should have mentioned the last cruise I took was on the Jewel in the Mediterrean. It was a 10 star experience at the time. I was hoping it would have been the same.

It was actually the NCL personnel that warned us about our luggage. It was the first time I ever felt I needed to be concerned. I assured my husband I've never heard of luggage getting stolen. Yet, later the next day, we got the notice that some luggage was missing. It doesn't necessarily mean they were stolen. They could have been delivered accidently to the wrong cabin and perhaps the luggage was found later. I don't know. In hindsight, I do believe they would have let us board bringing our own luggage on. We were nearly to the gangway when we turned around. They didn't say we couldn't, it was suggested we should let the porters take them for us. Had we continued through, we would have gotten on sooner and since our cabins were ready, we could have delivered them ourselves and then continued on to lunch.

My review was not meant to discourage anyone from enjoying a cruise that is booked on the Jewel. Many people, I'm sure, had a much better time than us. I know the quality of the food in the dining rooms used to be a 5 star restaurant experience and this last experience, Denny's prepares a better meal. I have to wonder if the dining room quality has diminished because they are hoping people will pay to go to the specialty restaurants?If you have a cruise already booked, you will find decent alternatives to the dining room. The buffet was good, yet crowded when the ship has everyone aboard and again, we also enjoyed O'Sheehan's and the Sushi. The specialty restaurants were good. So, there are alternatives to make your experience better.

I appreciate all reviews, as you are the one who experienced your cruise, no one else. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I look forward to all future reviews of the Jewel... good, bad, and ugly.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Forums mobile app

I too appreciate all the different reviews. Who's to say what someone else will like or should have done.

We are sailing on the Jewel in 10 days. Sad to hear there are no welcome aboard drinks as that used to really start the cruise off fun. We booked the same specialty restaurants (Le Bistro, Teppanyaki and Cagney's) so I am thrilled they were good! I am nervous to try the Main Dining Rooms now as we like and know good food as well. I like to cook and we live in California so we are used to fresh vegetables and fruits.

We are booked in a suite so maybe we will just eat breakfast in the suite restaurant each day instead of battling the crowds at the buffet? When we are in Cabo, we will eat dinner there as there are many great restaurants there!

Thank you to everyone for sharing their personal experiences. The good, the bad and the ugly.

I was on the Jewel Oct 30, we got there around 11:15, after security we went to the left to check in. And there was a photographer set up right before you went up the stairs. I saw many servers walking around with trays of Bahama Mamas, for a fee of course.

Edited by Alliezona09

We are booked in a suite so maybe we will just eat breakfast in the suite restaurant each day instead of battling the crowds at the buffet?

Having sailed in a couple of suites on the Jewel class ships, I would urge you not to do this every morning. Instead, get your food in the buffet and walk out back to eat in the Great Outdoors. (In fact, there are smaller buffet stations right out there.) This is one of the best spots on these ships. I love sitting out there.

Enjoy your cruise! We'll be on the Jewel in a couple of months for our first Panama Canal transit, and are quite excited!

Having sailed in a couple of suites on the Jewel class ships, I would urge you not to do this every morning. Instead, get your food in the buffet and walk out back to eat in the Great Outdoors. (In fact, there are smaller buffet stations right out there.) This is one of the best spots on these ships. I love sitting out there.

Enjoy your cruise! We'll be on the Jewel in a couple of months for our first Panama Canal transit, and are quite excited!

Thanks so much for the tip! Is the Great Outdoors on the same deck as the Buffet? Isn't it super crowded? I keep hearing about how crowded the buffet is so I figure there would be no where to sit as well?

I too appreciate all the different reviews. Who's to say what someone else will like or should have done.

We are sailing on the Jewel in 10 days. Sad to hear there are no welcome aboard drinks as that used to really start the cruise off fun. We booked the same specialty restaurants (Le Bistro, Teppanyaki and Cagney's) so I am thrilled they were good! I am nervous to try the Main Dining Rooms now as we like and know good food as well. I like to cook and we live in California so we are used to fresh vegetables and fruits.

We are booked in a suite so maybe we will just eat breakfast in the suite restaurant each day instead of battling the crowds at the buffet? When we are in Cabo, we will eat dinner there as there are many great restaurants there!

Thank you to everyone for sharing their personal experiences. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Since you are in a Suite (Haven?), you will be able to eat breakfast in Moderno- Deck 13 midship across from Cagney's.

I can tell you from personal experience of my October 9th cruise- try the Crab Cake Benedict. Wonderful.

Hi I had a great time on the ship but I had booked a penthouse suite. It was only $800 more/person from a mini suite but you get all the perks included.

Perks

Ultimate Beverage $1000 value per person FREE

Ultimate Dining Package $150 per person FREE

WIFI 250 minutes $125 FREE

All Cabin Service Charges $220 FREE

What a steal with all the free at sea...

plus priority everything, butler, concierge, private restaurant for breakfast and lunch, preferred seating in the theater. Captains cocktail party at the Haven etc. So worth the upgrade.

Thanks so much for the tip! Is the Great Outdoors on the same deck as the Buffet? Isn't it super crowded? I keep hearing about how crowded the buffet is so I figure there would be no where to sit as well?

Yes, the Great Outdoors is on the same deck as the buffet. Just walk all the way aft, and there it is. It can be crowded at peak meal times, but the tables are spread well apart, some of them lining the rail with wonderful views of the wake. There's a bar there as well.

It's definitely worth a try. Frankly, we've spent many hours just sitting there not during meal times; you can be in the shade (or sun), feel the nice breeze, and just relax.

Since you are in a Suite (Haven?), you will be able to eat breakfast in Moderno- Deck 13 midship across from Cagney's.

I can tell you from personal experience of my October 9th cruise- try the Crab Cake Benedict. Wonderful.

Hi, yes we could eat in Moderno for breakfast and I mentioned doing that, but Turtles06 was saying that I should try the buffet and sitting in The Great Outdoors as it has beautiful

Hi, yes we could eat in Moderno for breakfast and I mentioned doing that, but Turtles06 was saying that I should try the buffet and sitting in The Great Outdoors as it has beautiful

How about trying both! If you have a suite - you can also add having breakfast in your suite! We are gong to try everything. We are also a group that regularly will try to avoid peak times for meals, as you simply have to expect it is going to be crowded if you don't.

LOL, yeah captain obvious here.... :rolleyes:

We are in the Haven on the Panama Canal cruise leaving the 25th. If any of you are on that one - check out the roll call - we have a large meet & Great already planned.

I sailed 18 months ago on the Jewel for their 19 night cruise and it was absolutely wonderful. We had a humble balcony, so we didn't live the suite life, but we thought everything was just great- well almost.

It is always a bit scary to hand over your luggage to the dock workers but with about 11 cruises under our belt, we have never had a problem. The only time I ever heard of an issue was on a Carnival ship where they kept sending a flyer to ever cabin to ask the passengers to check to see if they accidentally took it.

Personally, I don't like giving my luggage over to these guys as some of them lie to make you think they are going to personally bring your luggage to your cabin- more tips... They just load it on to a cart and the ship's crew wheels them onboard.

I agree about Chin Chin's being mediocre. Our travel companions loved it and went back a few times. Different opinions...

We almost NEVER take a ship excursion but instead do extensive research on CC and TripAdvisor. We sometimes go on roll call private excursions and have never been disappointed.

As far as some things being overpriced, a passenger can quickly see that the spa treatments are double of what you would pay on land at home. I have never justified using their services, because I travel with a strict budget and prioritize. I would must rather pay for a great excursion with wonderful memories than pay the same amount for a massage that includes a sales pitch at the end.

We are excited to be back on the Jewel in 2017 and will be living the suite life in a penthouse, compliments of my children. First time. They feel sorry for us as we usually travel inside or obstructed/ocean view. We think every cruise is wonderful!

The Jewel ties with the Mariner of the Seas as our favorite ship thus far.

Also, my tired eyes love paragraphs.

Dorothy - Can you tell me what the air temperature at sea was like? During the day and during the evening? We are leaving this Sunday and would like to get an idea of temperature while out at sea. Thank You for the review.

We would love to know this as well as we leave Sunday too!