Port Everglades Starting Mobile Passport Control Program

Fouremco

According to a Port Everglades press release, CBP's Mobile Passport Control Program will being starting at the port on November 4th. http://www.porteverglades.net/articles/post/port-everglades-launches-mobile-passport-control-program/

Open to US and Canadian citizens - I have already downloaded the app and have loaded DW's and my Canadian passport information - the program is intended to speed up the disembarkation process (or airport arrival). Port Everglades is the first marine POE to benefit from the program.

What is less clear to me as yet is how the various programs - MPC, Global Entry, Nexus, etc. - are going to operate at the port. Will there be multiple lines for the different programs, or will all the expedited program members go in a single "fast" line? Also, do you just use one program, or can you use Nexus and MPC, for example, at the same time? I suspect the latter but haven't seen anything yet explicitly stating so.

With a cruise out of Port Everglades just over a week away, I hope to get a better idea soon of how all of this comes together.

Edited by Fouremco

According to a Port Everglades press release, CBP's Mobile Passport Control Program will being starting at the port on November 4th. http://www.porteverglades.net/articles/post/port-everglades-launches-mobile-passport-control-program/

Open to US and Canadian citizens - I have already downloaded the app and have loaded DW's and my Canadian passport information - the program is intended to speed up the disembarkation process (or airport arrival). Port Everglades is the first marine POE to benefit from the program.

What is less clear to me as yet is how the various programs - MPC, Global Entry, Nexus, etc. - are going to operate at the port. Will there be multiple lines for the different programs, or will all the expedited program members go in a single "fast" line? Also, do you just use one program, or can you use Nexus and MPC, for example, at the same time? I suspect the latter but haven't seen anything yet explicitly stating so.

With a cruise out of Port Everglades just over a week away, I hope to get a better idea soon of how all of this comes together.

Still waiting for our Trusted Travelor cards to arrive since our approval on 09/27/16. Will see how this goes.

Sent from my XT1064 using Forums mobile app

In reading the FLL release it states "US Citizens" so we will have to wait for more info if Canadian citizens can also make use of this new program.

No, the Port Everglades press release is incomplete, as the CBP FAQ clearly states Canadian citizens, as does the app itself. You have to scan your passport to load your profile into the app, and it will only accept Canadian and US passports. When I scanned DW's and my passports in, the information was readily accepted and our profiles had little Canadian flags beside them.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control/mobile-passport-control-frequently-asked-questions

Edited by Fouremco

Bolding mine.... It will be interesting to see how this is set up but do remember that you are talking about 2 different processes, MPC is customs related and GE/Nexus are immigration related. Just as there are often 2 areas, one after another often, for each process, I doubt there will be much difference. Hopefully they'll have signs indicating where to go if you are using MPC and kiosks for GE/Nexus immigration control.

When we entered Canada in October 2015 we used a kiosk to fill out the customs form which then printed the form we handed to a customs official on the way to immigration. I think the MPC app will take the place of the kiosk (your hardware vs. their hardware) and someplace along the line you'll display your MPC number to a customs official who'll have to write it down (I suppose?). Or maybe not. Anyhow, MPC should be slightly more efficient than stopping at a kiosk if you have a network connection on your smartphone.

Edited by 0bnxshs

I have the app but normally dont have a data plan when travelling. Does the Fort Lauderdale terminal have wifi?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

I've read on one site that it does, but can't confirm it.

Rogers and Bell offer $5/day roaming plans for the US, with unlimited talk and text. With Rogers, you use your own data allowance, while Bell gives you an extra 100 MB daily. Both also offer $10/day International plans. I don't know what other Canadian carriers are offering.

Bolding mine.... It will be interesting to see how this is set up but do remember that you are talking about 2 different processes, MPC is customs related and GE/Nexus are immigration related. Just as there are often 2 areas, one after another often, for each process, I doubt there will be much difference. Hopefully they'll have signs indicating where to go if you are using MPC and kiosks for GE/Nexus immigration control.

When we entered Canada in October 2015 we used a kiosk to fill out the customs form which then printed the form we handed to a customs official on the way to immigration. I think the MPC app will take the place of the kiosk (your hardware vs. their hardware) and someplace along the line you'll display your MPC number to a customs official who'll have to write it down (I suppose?). Or maybe not. Anyhow, MPC should be slightly more efficient than stopping at a kiosk if you have a network connection on your smartphone.

As you say, customs and immigration are two distinct processes, yet at most ports of entry they are handled by one official at primary. Like you, I don't think that there will be much of a change, but it will be an interesting learning experience the first time through.

Beginning Friday, Fort Lauderdale’s Port Everglades will become the first seaport in the country to offer the Mobile Passport Control (MPC) program, an app that allows passengers to complete their U.S. Customs declaration paperwork using their smartphone, slashing the length of the debarkation process. The app is geared at U.S. Citizens re-entering the country and requires travelers to input biographic information. The app then provides an encrypted code that passengers present to a customs officer along with their passport to complete the process. “An added bonus is that MPC will be in service in time for the arrivals of Royal Caribbean [international]’s Harmony of the Seas and Holland America Line's ms Koningsdam,” said said Steven Cernak, Port Everglades chief executive and port director.

They do not send a card - only a letter with your number on it.

For Global Entry, you absolutely do receive a card. However, you do not need to show the card for anything. In fact, you can just use the GOES number that was on your letter OR go to the GOES website. Back when GE started, they did not give a card, only a little sticker to put on the back of your passport. That changed about 6 years ago. To use GE, you just go to the GE kiosk, swipe your passport, put down your fingers, and answer a couple of questions. The one thing that card is good for is for your ID at the airport, or anywhere they require a piece of government ID. It has no PII on it, so no chance of prying eyes finding where you live... I just renewed my GE - easy peasy online, no need for another interview, and I had a NEW card (albeit with the original photo they took) within a few days of renewing. I'm set for another 5 years.

We downloaded the program, scanned our passports, and took selfies before our trip to France in September. When we were flying home, I entered the Airline and date and estimated time of arrival in the new trip section. No wifi necessary! I received a receipt - looks like a bar code on your boarding pass. The information is preserved for four hours.

Our plane landed in Boston's Logan Airport and when we entered the customs hall, there was a sign that instructed Global Entry and Mobile Passport to enter the first area in the hall. The Global Entry passengers had to enter their information in the kiosk but we went directly to the customs agent who scanned my mobile phone and looked at our passports. In five minutes, we were finished and went to retrieve our luggage. When we had our luggage we had to go through a special line and scan our phone again. If it hadn't taken 45 minutes for our luggage to come down the carousal we would have been out of the airport in ten minutes.

Great app - I look forward to using it at Fort Lauderdale after our cruise this winter.

On October 23, off the Nieuw Amsterdam, we were one of two ships into the Port in Fort Lauderdale, which meant that approximately 4 - 5,000 people entered the customs hall at basically the same time, between 8 and 10 am.. The lines were mixed and endless and horrific and there were a total of 4, count them, 4 agents in the booths. Inching along and two and a half hours later, my husband and I finally reached the head of our line, when he collapsed and dropped to the floor. The Sheriff hollered for a chair, he tried to stand, fell again, the line behind us was horrified, I was in shock, someone grabbed our passports out of my hand, and a chair was finally brought to get us through the wickets. It must have seemed odd to Homeland Security for someone to fail just on their doorstep and perhaps we were seen as a diversion or distraction or something, so then I had them hollering at me, as well as the 4 or 5 paramedics who brought the ambulance and were shouting questions at me. Off to the hospital, Broward General Medical Clinic, who were thankfully amazing and so very helpful. It turns out, his blood pressure was 84, caused entirely by dehydration and the lack of somewhere to sit, rest and not stand in line for 2 hours and 30 minutes. They didn't hold him overnight, but the rest of the day was spent there and of course, missing our flight... You just cannot treat seniors like that, and 99% of people in that line were seniors, most of whom were also missing their flights even though they likely had plenty of time under normal circumstances. This whole thing was appalling and it will be a very long time, if ever, that we will take a Holland America cruise out of Port Everglades again. I realize it was not HAL's fault, but I hope they can make it known to Customs/Security that this situation is ridiculous and totally unacceptable.

I am sorry for your bad experience but like you said it is not HAL's fault. They don't control our Federal Government and their payroll of Custom agents.

Believe me, it isn't just HAL who has lines at FLL ..and usually their lines are shorter because they have less pax to process..

I'm also confused, I did not know that cruises share the same terminal? What other ship was in your terminal?

I agree that lines going through customs or security at airports are getting ridiculous.. for all travelers.. not just seniors. But I don't blame Southwest ( my airline of choice) when the lines at security are snaked from the FL airport to Macon Georgia.. Southwest doesn't control TSA. I blame sick people who want to take down a plane and my government who doesn't provide enough staffing to search us so someone can't .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My airline, southwest, isn't an option to register a flight on the MPC. Hope it will be added soon.

Are you sure? Southwest promotes it on its website. https://www.southwest.com/html/air/intl/?clk=GFOOTER-FLY-INTL

MPC is only available in select cities, so it might be the airport that's your problem, not the airline.