Gratuities question

Wow!!

Just noticed gratuities for Harmony Of The Seas

are $13.99. When did it go up???

I've seen no announcements of increased gratuities. I know this does not mean much, but Royal's website still says $13.50.

So much easier to leave the automatic gratuities in place; that way you cover all the people in the pool, not just the ones you interact with daily. If you want to tip in cash feel free to tip extra on top of the automatic tips. Also, room service, CL and DL waiters are not covered by the automatic tips so you can tip in cash there, if you have access to either lounge.

So if there is a tip pool, the staff in CL and DL still work a full day in other venues. Won't they get paid for that?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

So if there is a tip pool, the staff in CL and DL still work a full day in other venues. Won't they get paid for that?

They could work in the lounge all day or evening, therefore they are losing out on the tips they would be making if working in a regular bar where an 18% gratuity has been charged. The drinks are free and so no 18% has been charged.

FYI, for all you "don't cancel grats because they go to everyone" people, - they don't.those are only pooled between dining and housekeeping. Everyone else is exempt. Bar gets it from drinks. But caretakers, gs people, adventure ocean, etc.. nada.

So if I think my service is crap but my kids caretakers were dynamite, well where do you think my grats are going to.

popcorn.gif~c200

FYI, for all you "don't cancel grats because they go to everyone" people, - they don't.those are only pooled between dining and housekeeping. Everyone else is exempt. Bar gets it from drinks. But caretakers, gs people, adventure ocean, etc.. nada.

So if I think my service is crap but my kids caretakers were dynamite, well where do you think my grats are going to.

popcorn.gif~c200

Certainly with all those beverage packages some of the bartender tips must be pooled.

They could work in the lounge all day or evening, therefore they are losing out on the tips they would be making if working in a regular bar where an 18% gratuity has been charged. The drinks are free and so no 18% has been charged.

With the exception of Oasis ships the bartender is only in the lounges for 3 hours. They do work other venues.

Assume I have a drink package. The grats are prepaid.

I get a drink and am not charged. Does the bartender get the grat from this purchase? Or are the pre-paid grats divided before I even get on board?

This always puzzles me.

I've been told that the gratuities from the drink packages are pooled and distributed to the bar staff.

I've been told that the gratuities from the drink packages are pooled and distributed to the bar staff.

Never hurts to tip per drink or every once in a while with cash or on the receipt you sign, it can be added to your account.

Maybe it is in my mind, but I feel it does improve service and their memory of our drinks.

Never hurts to tip per drink or every once in a while with cash or on the receipt you sign, it can be added to your account.

Maybe it is in my mind, but I feel it does improve service and their memory of our drinks.

18% for a substantially priced drink is not enough? I do tip for my Diamond drinks since they are getting nothing for that.

Thanks. With all the drink packages out there, it does seem as if they are not really getting their fair share. If they are used to getting 18% on EVERY drink, and now pooled on a set amount, it seems a little slanted.

• 1 month later...

if tipping cash does anyone know what each of the following should get?

Waiter

Asst waiter

Stateroom attendant

Maitre d

Over and above normal paid gratuities ?

Cabin Steward, if good to great, $5-10 a day... when we had exceptional towel art (men under bed, men sitting in chair), that was worth a $20 tip that day.

Bartenders get $1-$10 a drink depending what service they performed and drink and name recognition .

I would say wait staff are $5+ a day (each)... I have tipped both $20 on that night when service was exceptional .

Edited by troykahack

Not looking for the above and beyond, looking for how it breaks down. I was given $8.30 for dining and culinary. Just wondering how that breaks down for the waiter and asst.

My rates were over and above PRE PAID gratuities. Why would anyone remove them????

if tipping cash does anyone know what each of the following should get?

Waiter

Asst waiter

Stateroom attendant

Maitre d

Here is the standard distribution:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=5523&faqSubjectId=415&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqType=faq

Ask Bob

I think this is for pre-paid gratuities and not cash distribution unless you believe they pool their cash tips?

Ask Bob

I think this is for pre-paid gratuities and not cash distribution unless you believe they pool their cash tips?

That distribution is for both prepaid and automatic gratuities.

Cash tips are totally up to the guest. I believe there is some amount of pooling that takes place.

That distribution is for both prepaid and automatic gratuities.

Cash tips are totally up to the guest. I believe there is some amount of pooling that takes place.

I would really like to know more about what happens with cash tips after the fact. We always pay our gratuities as part of our cruise.

We generally tip cash above that... but we hope it goes to the person we are tipping... I believe some cash tips to bartenders might go into the pool as I have tipped $5-10 and then another bartender will say we are covered.

I would really like to know more about what happens with cash tips after the fact. We always pay our gratuities as part of our cruise.

We generally tip cash above that... but we hope it goes to the person we are tipping... I believe some cash tips to bartenders might go into the pool as I have tipped $5-10 and then another bartender will say we are covered.

Not looking for the above and beyond, looking for how it breaks down. I was given $8.30 for dining and culinary. Just wondering how that breaks down for the waiter and asst.

When you leave a tip at a restaurant ashore, do they tell you how they divide it? Why does this matter so much to people on a cruise ship? I simply assume that tips are pooled ashore amongst the "tipped staff".

A cruise ship flagged outside of the U.S. is obviously not subject to the U.S. Fair Labor Standards Act, but it's kind of instructive. From FindLaw.com (a great source of plain English legal information):

"Tip Pooling

The FLSA allows tip pooling (or sharing) arrangements among service employees who typically receive tips. For example, waiters may be required to pool their tips with bartenders and bussers for equal disbursement at the end of a shift. Tipped employees may not be compelled to pool tips among employees who do not normally receive tips, including cooks and dishwashers.

There is no maximum amount or percentage of tips for a valid mandatory tip pool, according to the federal rules. But employers must notify tipped employees of any tip pool contribution requirements and are prohibited from retaining tips for any other purpose."

From everything we think we know onboard ship, the cruise lines generally follow this guidance. There is also a legal requirement under the FLSA to pay a basic wage and ensure employees receive at least minimum wage as a combination of wages and tips (direct compensation has to increase if tips aren't adequate). I don't have a clue how the cruise lines do this.