Beverage package

BUCKEYE BILL

$60 per day per person for unlimited drinks. Sounds like a lot, but on my last Oceania cruise I thought the drinks were on the light side. One ounce? I think the drinks cost close to $10 with the service.

I think they are 1.5 oz

some bartenders use the measure some do not but they are not as much as some may free pour at home

We have not found drinks too weak ..may we just got lucky

We are not big drinkers like some

It is a personal choice to get the packages or not

for us who may have 1-2 drinks per day it is definitely not worth the package price

another case of YMMV

$60 per day per person for unlimited drinks. Sounds like a lot, but on my last Oceania cruise I thought the drinks were on the light side. One ounce? I think the drinks cost close to $10 with the service.

Bean counter service:You have to average 6+ drinks a day to break even. While it goes against my grain, IF I were sign up for this deal, I would be leaving a LOT drinks half full around the ship just like they do in the movies.

The $40 deal isn't any better IMHO.

The 6 + is not reality at all on an Oceania cruise.

I drink single malt scotch, I usually get the Macallan that runs about $18 a shot, I get a double, that's $36 + the 18% tip= $42.48. I have two of these before dinner, I'm at $85 already.

I sometimes have a Mimosa or FuFu type drink early in the day, I sometimes have a glass of wine with dinner. I might have a beer in the middle of the days some days. Then I might have a nightcap. I'm getting at least $100 value most days if I had bought the drinks.

I realize not everyone drinks the expensive scotch, but if you drink the better wines or champagnes that are available it will add up quickly.

Just my take, we're social drinkers, not everyone is. Most people with the package do get doubles.

PS, getting drinks and leaving them setting around just to get your money's worth goes against my grain. I think that increases the cost for others. If something is not to your liking by all means don't drink it, that's another benefit of the package, being able to try new things. BUT, don't waste alcohol just to feel like you're getting one over on them.

Edited by ORV

Does the $60/day package cover all brands and drinks? If not, what ISN'T covered?

That's a good question.

If it's on the bar menu or can be made from items on the bar menu it's covered.

There are quite a few things that are not covered including some champagnes, higher end single malts and ports, cognacs etc. Sometimes it doesn't make sense as they have some things that are cheaper than items that are on the menu, but my experience has been if it's not on the menu it's not covered.

Here is a fairly recent copy of the menu.

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera16_menus.htm#main_bar

Edited by ORV

The 6 + is not reality at all on an Oceania cruise.

I drink single malt scotch, I usually get the Macallan that runs about $18 a shot, I get a double, that's $36 + the 18% tip= $42.48. I have two of these before dinner, I'm at $85 already.

I sometimes have a Mimosa or FuFu type drink early in the day, I sometimes have a glass of wine with dinner. I might have a beer in the middle of the days some days. Then I might have a nightcap. I'm getting at least $100 value most days if I had bought the drinks.

I realize not everyone drinks the expensive scotch, but if you drink the better wines or champagnes that are available it will add up quickly.

Just my take, we're social drinkers, not everyone is. Most people with the package do get doubles.

PS, getting drinks and leaving them setting around just to get your money's worth goes against my grain. I think that increases the cost for others. If something is not to your liking by all means don't drink it, that's another benefit of the package, being able to try new things. BUT, don't waste alcohol just to feel like you're getting one over on them.[/QUOT

Total agree its very very easy for a casual social drinker to rack up $100 plus worth of bar bills a day.... without pounding them down....

Total agree its very very easy for a casual social drinker to rack up $100 plus worth of bar bills a day.... without pounding them down....

I do not think if you are drinking a $100 a day you are a casual social drinker :eek:

We are casual drinkers & our bar bill is usually under $50 for the 2 of us most times under $25

DH does like is scotch

Edited by LHT28

There are light social drinkers and then there are those of us who indulge a bit more on a cruise with drinks at lunch, around the pool, etc., because we don't have to drive home.

Like ORV, we thoroughly enjoy a wine or beer with lunch while on vacation, an afternoon froufrou drink (or a Bloody Caesar, which Canadian friends have introduced me to), wine with dinner and an after-dinner libation or two.

No need for labeling, I think, just do what you are comfortable with. 😎

That's a good question.

There are quite a few things that are not covered including some champagnes, higher end single malts and ports, cognacs etc. Sometimes it doesn't make sense as they have some things that are cheaper than items that are on the menu, but my experience has been if it's not on the menu it's not covered.

Thank you for the menu, especially the photos of dishes at the restaurants. I will print out the menus so I can make all my selections before I board. lol

Barbara

" ... We are casual drinkers & our bar bill is usually under $50 for the 2 of us most times under $25 ...

On Oceania? $12.50/pp might ... just might ... barely cover a single glass of wine (short pour :eek:) per person at dinner. If you enjoy a pre or post-dinner drink ... or enjoy a cool one in the afternoon you'll be way over that $12.50/pp/per day.

On Oceania? $12.50/pp might ... just might ... barely cover a single glass of wine (short pour :eek:) per person at dinner. If you enjoy a pre or post-dinner drink ... or enjoy a cool one in the afternoon you'll be way over that $12.50/pp/per day.

DH likes a G & T with Bombay gin $11.50 + 18%

I like a glass of wine $9.50 + 18% & the pour .. short or not works just fine for me

Some nights he will have a scotch straight up $15 +

Now take my alcoholic SIL if she did not take the package her bar bill per day would be close to $200

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

That's a good question.

I wanted to thank you for the menu (and pictures) as well! You mentioned that not everything is covered but I do see some higher end cognacs on the bar menu (XO's for 25.00 a glass). Would those be included - ??

My DH enjoys a nice scotch (maybe even a double) before dinner and a nice cognac after dinner and Hennessy XO is one of his favorites. We are on a 10 day cruise next summer and are leaning towards using our OBC towards the Prestige package. Even though we may not add up to the 60.00/day/person (which I think we will with a pre-cocktail, couple of wines with dinner, and after dinner drink.. especially an "XO" cognac!!). Also, it's nice not to have to sign and keep track of the receipts. We were on an all-inclusive cruise a couple of years ago and that was a nice treat!

We had a prestige drinks package,Hubby enjoyed Courvoisier XO most nights after dinner..over 25$ a time.

We found cocktails in Martinis were superb yet the pool bar were poor at times,we had to leave them or ask for something else.Glad not to have paid for those.

On a 7 day voyage we would have that package again but not so sure on a longer trip as the 'novelty' wears off and the weight goes on.

We have a long cruise booked to Polynesian islands and get the 6 drinks in our cabin.Debating as to whether we should buy the wine and beer package or buy 'as you go'.

• 3 weeks later...
The cruise offer we have includes the basic beer and wine beverage. If on board, can we wait and see how additional drinks costs are going or can you only upgrade to the Prestige package for the whole duration?

You must purchase for the whole duration.

But yes you can wait and see how the individual drink purchases are adding up to help you make that decision. The packages are prorated from when you purchase.

But you must purchase within the first couple of days of the cruise. I've read here two days & I've read three days and it might vary. Best to confirm that on board to ensure you don't miss the opportunity if you do want the upgraded package.

You must purchase for the whole duration.

But yes you can wait and see how the individual drink purchases are adding up to help you make that decision. The packages are prorated from when you purchase.

But you must purchase within the first couple of days of the cruise. I've read here two days & I've read three days and it might vary. Best to confirm that on board to ensure you don't miss the opportunity if you do want the upgraded package.

From experience, on my last 3 cruises...that were 10 to 21 days long, they only advertised the drinks package for the first few days......However, if yo went to reception at any time during the cruise they would sell you the package for the remaining days from that date...

The time sensitive quotent is part of a good sales pitch... gott'a buy NOW....SUPPLY LIMITED....Price may go up..... etc etc

Relax....up grade of buy when it suits you