Jews--Consider avoiding sailing with celebrity over the High Holidays

stereo

My wife and I are Jewish and booked a Summit Canada /New England cruise sailing on Oct.2 realizing that it would encompass the Jewish High Holidays--The brochure stated that (and confirmed by Captains club reps )a Jewish Rabbi would be on board--We thought that that meant that services would be conducted---WRONG--At 12:30 we were on the Summit and asked guest services about the time and place for the evening Rosh Hashanah services --The daily summit did not mention any service --it did list a time and places for the friends of BillW and the LGBT to meet. I was told that services were scheduled for the next morning--and that the Rabbi was on board. I spoke with( I believe was the activity director )a person who told me that we never hold services on the day of embarkation( apparently in the past a ship sail was delayed because a rabbi was late) and could not accommodate my request. The head of guest services told me the same story. I was upset --angry and livid--what a way to start a lovely cruise . We could have booked the previous cruise.--to be cont.

After lunch we went to our cabin to unpack--The telephone rang--The Rabbi was told that I was upset . He told me that he was hired to conduct the evening service but the ship would not accommodate him-He did not understand why-a service was scheduled for the next morning 8 am in the revelation lounge-

I found my invitation to the Cruise Critic meet and greet party and my Elite perks letter from the Captains club. I was invited to meet the ships officers on the eve of Yom Kippur Later changed

The brochure stated that (and confirmed by Captains club reps )a Jewish Rabbi would be on board--We thought that that meant that services would be conducted-.

You asked the wrong question, which led you to making an incorrect assumption. Further, you are advising no one to travel during the high holidays at all. It was explained that services would not be held on embarkation day (which makes perfect sense given the confused activity on day one), not that they would not be held at all. I glean from your post that this is only a problem on embarkation day, so that would be the expectation if the holiday falls on embarkation day.

Also, Friends of Bill W and the LGBT meet-up are just announced meeting places for those that care to meet with like-minded passengers. They are self-directed meetings and do not involve any staff or third parties or any special efforts on the part of Celebrity staff. So, I feel you mentioning this as tough it is a comparison or you may be somehow discriminated against is just off-base.

I am sorry this happened to you. I don't mean to sound crass or anything so please don't take it that way.

From the way I am reading your post is that you boarded on Oct. 2 and you expected the Rosh Hashanah services to be held that day? I read that Rosh Hashanah started on Oct. 3rd so wouldn't that be the day after embarkation? I am confused because you posted "a person who told me that we never hold services on the day of embarkation." This sounds like you wanted it to be held a day earlier? Am I misreading?

The Rabbi conducted the morning service using material prepared by some rabbis and given to him by the ship -He thought that it was excellent but too long considering that we had to be out of the lounge by 9am--they had to set up for some party that was coming in at 9:30He had to skip and shorten the service He kept on looking at his watch and apologizing--Did you guess what group was having the party --my invitation was in my pocket --the rabbi announced the time and place for Sabbath services and at 9am we left. I did not feel that I would be good company and did not attend the 9:30 cruise critic party .

Time and place for Jewish services never appeared in the daily Summit Today .It was posted on the community board located in the lobby --beneath Mah Jong and above bridge

I am a Catholic, I did a TA on the Equinox, there was a Priest on board( a passenger). They held services but they weren't announced til much later.

I too went to guest services, they sent me to the posting list. The priest advised that they had requested services announced.

I too was disappointed. It wasn't even one of our high holidays.

Hopefully you will be more successful next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sabbath and E rev Yom Kippur services went well--The Rabbi announced that we would meet the next morning at 10AM for Yom Kippur service-which do to allotted time constraints would include Yizkor Services were over at 11:15--was my fast over?? I broke my fast at the Elite cocktail hour.

Icalled customer service from Boston --Would forward experience to proper personnel--called again from home --nothing All I asked for was a letter or telephone conversation with some one who could insure that my experience would not happen again.

How should I proceed--Should forget it The ship inflicted unnecessary pain --

maybe I should ask for a free cruise good only for Jewish High Holidays sailing

Thanks for any advice

I'm sorry that your service felt rushed- I find most activities do on the ship since they are trying to fit a lot of things in to accommodate all of their passengers. It is s shame that the rabbi didn't review the material in advance or prepare his own service to accommodate the time.

I'm also sorry that the times and locations weren't published in the dailies, which would have been helpful. I'm not sure what you are trying to say about the community board though- did you think that this was a disrespectful place to provide cruisers with the information?

I would suggest that you write to X about your experience with suggestions about how to make the religious services more accessible to those onboard.

I am sorry this happened to you. I don't mean to sound crass or anything so please don't take it that way.

From the way I am reading your post is that you boarded on Oct. 2 and you expected the Rosh Hashanah services to be held that day? I read that Rosh Hashanah started on Oct. 3rd so wouldn't that be the day after embarkation? I am confused because you posted "a person who told me that we never hold services on the day of embarkation." This sounds like you wanted it to be held a day earlier? Am I misreading?

Renee, The holiday started at sunset on October 2, Rosh Hashanah eve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FYI - The Jewish "New Year's Day" although listed on the Gregorian Calendar as Oct 3 began for them at sundown on Oct 2. Although I think the OP was wrong in assuming and not confirming he was not incorrect in the reasoning.

Why do you keep opening new threads? Do you not know how to reply to the thread you started? You go to any of: 1) the Post a Reply button at the top of the thread, 2) the Post a Reply button at the end of the thread, or 3) just enter a reply in the Quick Reply box at the end of the thread.

All you had to do on board was call guest services. I suspect that religious services are not "announced" since Celebrity keeps announcements limited to once a day at 10 am from the Captain and religious services are considered a private and personal thing hat some people might not want announced.

The fact the service was rushed is understandable. Activities are schedule back-to-back all day.

I'm sorry you were disappointed. However, I think you need to take at least part responsibility for your own disappointment.

Edited by Fish Lover

Thanks for any advice

I'm sorry, but what exactly is your complaint? I am Jewish, and yet still not following.

Sabbath and E rev Yom Kippur services went well--The Rabbi announced that we would meet the next morning at 10AM for Yom Kippur service-which do to allotted time constraints would include Yizkor Services were over at 11:15--was my fast over?? I broke my fast at the Elite cocktail hour.

Icalled customer service from Boston --Would forward experience to proper personnel--called again from home --nothing All I asked for was a letter or telephone conversation with some one who could insure that my experience would not happen again.

Thanks for any advice

No pain or damages have been inflicted upon you.

And now you want services not only on specific days, but at specific times as well? Am I understanding that correctly? If that is the case, then you are expecting too much.

Why do you keep opening new threads? Do you not know how to reply to the thread you started? You go to any of: 1) the Post a Reply button at the top of the thread, 2) the Post a Reply button at the end of the thread, or 3) just enter a reply in the Quick Reply box at the end of the thread..........

Yes he does since he has responded to other peoples threads before. Either trying to get the most out of his complaint or trying to build post count, which I never understood anyway. :rolleyes:

..........However, I think you need to take at least part responsibility for your own disappointment.

Agreed.

Maybe I think differently than most, but if I want to make sure that my religious holiday is celebrated the way I want it to be, I wouldn't leave it up to a cruise line, a hotel chain, an airline, etc., I would only leave it up to my church. If I go on a cruise during Christmas, I certainly wouldn't be upset if they didn't do the holiday exactly the way I would want it, because I would understand that it is a cruise line and not a church. I think cruise lines try very hard to accommodate all their customers, but they can't be everything to everyone.

How should I proceed--Should forget it

YES YOU SHOULD

Thanks for any advice

You should have stayed home and attended services at your normal place of worship.

Edited by wallie5446

Maybe I think differently than most, but if I want to make sure that my religious holiday is celebrated the way I want it to be, I wouldn't leave it up to a cruise line, a hotel chain, an airline, etc., I would only leave it up to my church. If I go on a cruise during Christmas, I certainly wouldn't be upset if they didn't do the holiday exactly the way I would want it, because I would understand that it is a cruise line and not a church. I think cruise lines try very hard to accommodate all their customers, but they can't be everything to everyone.

I agree. Even within religions, Christian, Jewish, Muslim etc. there are differences how religious holidays are observed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

We have just completed two X cruises one on the Constellation and recently on the Solstice. On both these two cruises there was a a Rabbi onboard and from time to time we saw notices of Jewish services on the dailies. I would have thought that if a Jewish rabbi was on board and it was important for the OP to have a particular service on a particular day then getting in touch with the rabbi would have been the solution. Whist Guest Relations will not give out a passengers contact details or room they will contact them on your behalf. The Rabbi by the way may have been on board on holiday and had identified himself in case he was needed.

To balance out the original thread, a few years ago we found ourselves on the Equinox on Passover. We asked if there would be any special meal served or anything planned and were told that there was a retired cantor on board (arranged by Celebrity) and there would be a special passover dinner at 6PM in the buffet area. Although a bit dubious, we dressed nicely and arrived a little before 6 (note: there was nothing in the daily events bulletin about this meal...you had to ask).

A section of the buffet area had been blocked off....individual tables were set, each with a seder plate and a haggadah. Set with china and wine glasses. There were 250 people at the dinner..all of whom found out about the meal just by asking at guest services. The entire dinner was served by waiters: Gefilte fish, matzoh ball soup, and as I recall a choice of entrees including brisket....and a passover dessert. Did I mention that they had manischewitz wine....and that there was no extra cost for the meal or the wine.

We were incredibly shocked and pleased with the extra effort Celebrity put into planning that meal...that experience. Clearly, someone had worked to get everything needed on board, arranged to cook the special meals, etc.

No, it wasn't an orthodox service...it was reform....very little hebrew...but you know what...it didn't matter to anyone there.

So, back to the OP.....Sorry your expectations weren't met....but if you expect a formal religious (Jewish or other) experience with all the services and rituals, a cruise ship is not the place....and I would think that would not be a surprise. Celebrity went beyond our expectations on our cruise and if they had a morning service on rosh hashanah, I'd consider that to be enough...but that's me.

Edited by ghstudio

Here is just my opinion and we are Jewish. Rosh Hashanah is the holiest of holidays in the religion. I feel that if services meant that much to the OP especially on such an important holiday, they should have visited their local synagogue or if not a member, gone to a local Chabad.

I think it is a very nice gesture of cruise lines to offer such but in no way mandatory. We sailed once on the Summit during Hanukkah and they had a short service with some latkes etc. Very nice. It was not listed in Xtoday but rather in the Atrium. Passover once on the Summit was matzoh in the buffet.

You are traveling on vacation, it's a cruise and not a house of worship. I think X did enough by providing atleast something.

Just my 2cents. Don't flame me.

Edited by Want2Cruise 701

I was on a sailing of Anthem out of Newark, and in one case the Windjammer doors were closed some time prior to 6 PM so that a religious group could use the space for their needs (I have no idea exactly what it was) ... the doors opened and the occupants exited shortly after so other early diners could enter the Windjammer ... so this type of thing does occur on cruise ships albeit not as often as some may prefer ...

to the OP, while I am sorry you are upset about your experience, may I also suggest that you consider what you could do differently next time? For example, just as you took to CC to criticize and tell others to avoid sailing during this time, how about if you had gone to the CC roll call for your cruise, and asked other passengers of your faith if they were interested in organizing things while on board? If a group was assembled beforehand, and the cruise line was given ample notice of your request ahead of time, they probably would have tried to facilitate your group getting together with the on board Rabbi

Edited by Slopoke15