Formal Night Attire

johnritt

Hi All,

We are going on a little 5 night cruise on the Navigator of the Seas this January.

I have never sailed on RCI before and haven't had to deal with a formal night in some time (Aqua class on Celebrity and all of NCL).

What is expected and is it expected if you do speciality dining?

Thank you for any information.

There will be one formal night.

Cruise line suggestion:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

Specialty restaurants are "smart casual" every night.

There will be one formal night.

Cruise line suggestion:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqType=faq

Specialty restaurants are "smart casual" every night.

Thanks.

It sounds like a speciality restaurant may now be on our list of things to do.

Any suggestions?

Formal nights on Royal Caribbean are no longer as strict as they used to be. Men will be fine with a shirt and trousers, many go in jeans and a polo etc.

We no longer take suits on any cruise.

Edited by waldorf

Thanks for all of the information. It's not that big of a deal to throw a jacket and tie in the bag, I just dislike wearing them on vacation. Not into manpri's, flip flops and wife beaters for dinner either. Somewhere in between works fine with me.

Does anyone know what night is formal night? Just bought the BOGO 1st and 2nd night dining package. Hopefully 2nd night is formal night. If not, still have some cruise credit to cover some of the cost of another restaurant on formal night.

Also did the 20% beverage package thing (too old to smugge). Anything I missed?

Thanks all.

It's not that big of a deal to throw a jacket and tie in the bag, I just dislike wearing them on vacation. Not into manpri's, flip flops and wife beaters for dinner either. Somewhere in between works fine with me.

You are fine with just a smart casual.,

Thanks for all of the information. It's not that big of a deal to throw a jacket and tie in the bag, I just dislike wearing them on vacation. Not into manpri's, flip flops and wife beaters for dinner either. Somewhere in between works fine with me.

Does anyone know what night is formal night? Just bought the BOGO 1st and 2ndw night dining package. Hopefully 2nd night is formal night. If not, still have some cruise credit to cover some of the cost of another restaurant on formal night.

Also did the 20% beverage package thing (too old to smugge). Anything I missed?

Thanks all.

Night 2 will be formal night.

on a 5 night cruise, but if you are celebrating something go for it, you will not be alone. Just look a little nicer on formal night and you will be happy. Remember it is just a SUGGESTED dress code and most people, note most, will not worry or dress formally or even in a black ugly ill-fitting suit.

DH is retired military, and he'll wear his uniform for one of the formal nights. I'll be in a cocktail dress.

We're on a 7-nighter. For the other formal night, he'll probably wear a suit, and I'll wear a LBD.

We are driving to port :o

We dress up for each other, and what other folks wear doesn't phase us whatsoever.

Edited by VASOXFANN

DH is retired military, and he'll wear his uniform for one of the formal nights. I'll be in a cocktail dress.

We're on a 7-nighter. For the other formal night, he'll probably wear a suit, and I'll wear a LBD.

We are driving to port :o

We dress up for each other, and what other folks wear doesn't phase us whatsoever.

I think it is awesome he wears his uniform. He has earned it and we thank him.

A suit/tux is fine too.

I wear a black suit with a tuxedo shirt and bow tie for formal night. Then I have the suit do double duty for specialty dining, particularly Chops, and wear the suit with either a collared shirt and tie or a collared shirt with no tie.

You should always dress as you wish. Smart idea mixing it up a bit.

Just got off the Oasis. On formal night I wore a suit and tie. I saw men in tee shirts and shorts. What is the point of formal nights if people dress like this? I may be old fashioned but RCCL has gotten too politically correct by not saying anything to these people. On formal nights do you want to sit across some guy wearing a tee shirt that says "I got drunk at Senor Frogs"

Just got off the Oasis. On formal night I wore a suit and tie. I saw men in tee shirts and shorts. What is the point of formal nights if people dress like this? I may be old fashioned but RCCL has gotten too politically correct by not saying anything to these people. On formal nights do you want to sit across some guy wearing a tee shirt that says "I got drunk at Senor Frogs"

Ken,

We saw that on Oasis as well but not to the point where "someone should have said something to them". Plenty of people were dressed nicely for formal night. We went to Giovanni's on the first formal night, me in my cocktail dress, and Marc in his tux. Most other folks had on at least slacks and collared shirts and several were in formal attire like us, celebrating special occasions. The couple who got seated in the midst of all this in cargo shorts, t-shirts and sandals looked quite out of place. Dress code is a suggestion but if folks go too casual for dining anywhere but the buffet, they might feel out of place....or they might not, and that's their choice.

Ken,

We saw that on Oasis as well but not to the point where "someone should have said something to them". Plenty of people were dressed nicely for formal night. We went to Giovanni's on the first formal night, me in my cocktail dress, and Marc in his tux. Most other folks had on at least slacks and collared shirts and several were in formal attire like us, celebrating special occasions. The couple who got seated in the midst of all this in cargo shorts, t-shirts and sandals looked quite out of place. Dress code is a suggestion but if folks go too casual for dining anywhere but the buffet, they might feel out of place....or they might not, and that's their choice.

It is obvious things have changed. After 25 years of cruising many times on formal nights the waiters or matre de would say something to these "underdressed" people on formal nights to remind them there is a dress code; even though it is never enforced; at least no tee shirts what is the point of "formal" night.

It is obvious things have changed. After 25 years of cruising many times on formal nights the waiters or matre de would say something to these "underdressed" people on formal nights to remind them there is a dress code; even though it is never enforced; at least no tee shirts what is the point of "formal" night.

If you were the couple that donated the Vikings water bottle thank you again. I used it already; worked well. Thanks again to the person the put together the cabin crawl. I got to see the cabins we could never afford.