Dressing for dinner

techgirl502

Hi everyone. First time on Ncl. I read there wardrobe info but want a better feel from others... In the Complimentary main dining rooms, if I wore nice jeans a nice top and sandals and my husband wore nice jeans black shoes and a polo, would we look nice enough? I want to feel mid pact. Thanks for the help

Also remember that all ships have two main dining rooms the one in the aft of the ship is the most formal of the two, the one in the middle of the ship is slightly less formal. While the dress code will be the same in either, you will probably find more people dressed up in the aft MDR - that is also where the dress up or not night happens.

Otherwise I see nothing wrong with your dress. BTW we love the not having to dress up on NCL.

Hi everyone. First time on Ncl. I read there wardrobe info but want a better feel from others... In the Complimentary main dining rooms, if I wore nice jeans a nice top and sandals and my husband wore nice jeans black shoes and a polo, would we look nice enough? I want to feel mid pact. Thanks for the help

If I were on your cruise, and you wore that, and I saw you, I would be appalled! I would then come to Cruise Critic and whine about it, telling everyone I can't believe someone wore jeans in the MDR and reminisce about the classic cruising days when men and woman dressed to the nines for dinner!

.........OH, and just seeing you and your spouse dressed like that one time would RUIN my cruise and I'd then whine about how maybe it was time to seek out a more upscale cruise line where I didn't have to see the steerage wear jeans for dinner!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

We normally wear Docker type long pants with a polo and wife will wear a sun dress or dressy pants...we never do formal...but to be clear, dress shorts with polo are acceptable also in the MDR?

And in the specialty restaurants would dress shorts be acceptable?

We normally wear Docker type long pants with a polo and wife will wear a sun dress or dressy pants...we never do formal...but to be clear, dress shorts with polo are acceptable also in the MDR?

And in the specialty restaurants would dress shorts be acceptable?

Shorts and polo are acceptable everywhere EXCEPT the aft, more formal MDR, and Le Bistro. So yes, men can wear shorts in the specialty resturants other than Le Bistro, and in the less formal MDR. Some have reported that some of the newer ships have relaxed the ban on shorts even in the more formal MDR, but this is not reflected in the NCL official guidelines. On embarkation night, they are allowed everywhere.

DH is thrilled that on our 4-day cruise the dress code is even more relaxed. He'll be that guy in Le Bistro in cargo shorts and a t-shirt...

Just got back from 7 day cruise.

Shorts were popular in all main dining rooms for dinner. They were 50/50 in the specialty restaurants.

I did not visit Bistro.

The food is tremendous most everywhere on ncl. I love a good dive and a high falutin' foodie joint equally on land, felt right at home onboard everywhere. I did wear tan slacks twice (with flip flops) to dinner to proactively appease the Mrs, but wore shorts to every other meal.

Your fella will fit in fine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

That would be fine, especially that you described it as nice.

DH is thrilled that on our 4-day cruise the dress code is even more relaxed. He'll be that guy in Le Bistro in cargo shorts and a t-shirt...

No...it was already reported earlier in this thread that long pants must be worn in Le Bistro. The same applies to Bayamo if you're on the Escape. The Manhattan Room on the Escape, which is the more formal of the 3 MDR's, also allowed dress shorts.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

No...it was already reported earlier in this thread that long pants must be worn in Le Bistro. The same applies to Bayamo if you're on the Escape. The Manhattan Room on the Escape, which is the more formal of the 3 MDR's, also allowed dress shorts.

Please re-read NCL's FAQ on dress code:

"Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days"

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/faq#packing

That "long pants" dress code only applies to longer cruises. Our 4-day allows shorts everywhere, even in Le Bistro.

Please re-read NCL's FAQ on dress code:

"Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days"

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/faq#packing

That "long pants" dress code only applies to longer cruises. Our 4-day allows shorts everywhere, even in Le Bistro.

The freestyle dailies on Escape make it clear that shorts are permitted in the aft main dining room. True, this isn't the case on all ships, but it has been that way on Escape since it's first sailing.

Just like there are exceptions to LeBistro on shorter cruises, there are also exceptions to the Manhattan Room on the Escape, just like Lrgpizza pointed out in the previous post. I was just going by my first hand experience on the Escape in August where long pants were mandatory in LeBistro. I was very surprised that shorts were allowed in the specialty dining locations, since long pants are required in the specialties on RCI, Celebrity, Princess and even in the steakhouse on Carnival.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

We were on the Escape last month and ate three times at Le Bistro. I noticed that the guys that were wearing shorts were seated at the 'sidewalk' tables outside of the Le Bistro. They have some tables there that are a little more casual. I'm not sure if it was due to the dress code but it appeared so.

Some NCL ships used to have a Freestyle Deck at the very top of the ship that was clothing optional.

The key, like you said, is "used to", so the post you quoted is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think most have said about the same thing: it is very casual now days. Hubby has gotten in the habit of wearing shorts except for a couple on nights. I am inlined to wear capris. We are traveling as light as possible, are lucky enough to be platinum so will have our laundry done for us so no need for a million suitcases. Both of us will dress appropriately for Le Bistro and intend on wearing something a little nicer when we eat in the Manhattan room. That is it: casual, but neat and clean all the way.