Embassy suites 17th street. 1st room had bed bugs.

NJporkroll

We arrived into FLL last night for a pre cruise stay at the embassy suites on 17th street. Fairly pricey, but great location.

Anyway, we get to the hotel about 7:30pm. Get into the room and I begin my usual inspection for bed bugs. So, as I start looking under the sheets around the piping of the mattress. "EUREKA, BED BUGS".

I immediately call the front desk, the property maintenance manager comes up to inspect, he is not to happy with the findings.

So, we go back to the lobby and the on duty hotel manager meets with me and switches our room. The manager and I go into the next room and it reeks from cigarettes smoke.

Now the problem is they are fully sold and no more rooms available. They were going to switch us to another Hilton property with all transportation costs paid by them. But, there was a last minute cancellation and another room opened.

The manager could not have been nicer to us. She, comped us for dinner while we waited for the room to open up. Thank goodness after a thorough check of that room there ware no signs of bugs.

So, although the stay got off to a bad start, the management was very professional and accommodating. She also comped our room. Called us about 20 minutes after checking up on us and personalized brought us up bottled water.

However, we will never stay there again, but this day and age it's very prevalent in the hotel industry. Even though they bent over backwards to assist us. I don't think we would ever go back there . The hotel needs a lot of TLC. Especially when the get a premium price for the room .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry to hear about the bed bugs. We had a room comped once there two due cleanliness issues and continued to stay there.

We had stayed at the ES for almost 10 years at least 2 times a year, but we stopped mainly because of the escalating price high and lack of building improvements. Our biggest issue really is the windows that have very little soundproofing left. There is a lot of traffic noise on 2 sides of the building and another side has the cooling units below it.

They did just send a lot of money reorganizing the breakfast buffet area and painting the exterior of the building. However after my DW nights of restlessness we started to stay where the windows still have R value remaining.

I worked in the pest control industry for 28 years, there are 2 types of hotel/motels the ones that have gotten bed bugs and ones that will get bed bugs. So if you do not want to stay at a place that has had bed bugs or one that may get bed bugs don't stay at a hotel/motel, cruise ship, dorm room, etc.

Remember the customers are the ones that bring bed bugs in, they just don't show up. The problem costs the hotel industry billions of dollars every year at very little fault of theirs.

In my experience the Hilton Chain takes the problem very seriously and is proactive in their approach to bed bugs and will take action asap when found. This is why I only stay at Hilton Chain Hotels. Remember that it has nothing to do with cleanliness just bad luck of getting them. I would bet every person on this board has stayed at a hotel/motel that has had bed bugs weather they knew it or not.

I would guess that every major hotel chain has a comprehensive pest control/bed bug program in place. Any publicity whether it is here or on any other media site referencing bed bugs at a particular property could be catastrophic.

I would guess that every major hotel chain has a comprehensive pest control/bed bug program in place. Any publicity whether it is here or on any other media site referencing bed bugs at a particular property could be catastrophic.

I retired 2 years ago and I hope it changed but some chains did not take it serious at all and several are not required to have any pest control program at all. (Varies by different laws &rules) I have been called to places that did not want to pay the high cost of treatment and decided to try taking care of it themselves. Also have seen trying to cut back and only do a partial service to cut back costs and hoped it worked. We would walk away from these places and tell them good luck. Your higher end chains have mandatory pest control in place, but sadly the lower and middle end do not. Too many small hotel owners won't pay the price, which turns out to escalate the problem.

Edited by killtheump

I stay there when I cruise out of FLL, and luckily have not had a problem. Since the hotel was so responsive, I'll bet they will get rid of them in a hurry. Their reputation is important to them.

Edited by dacsmom

My take on that property is it needs a HUGE renovation. The bed bugs on the other hand, happen everywhere just like KILLTHEUMP wrote. Remember what I said about how extremely responsive and accommodating the staff at that hotel was.

The bed bugs are gross, but the hotel is in a sad state of disrepair and there are only so many cosmetic fixes that can be done before the money must be spent.

I was apprehensive at first writing the original post, but I thought my personal experience should be shared. Not to disparage that property, just to make other aware. That being said, it's just up to Hilton standards that I'm used to. And that has nothing to do with the bugs.

My take on that property is it needs a HUGE renovation. The bed bugs on the other hand, happen everywhere just like KILLTHEUMP wrote. Remember what I said about how extremely responsive and accommodating the staff at that hotel was.

The bed bugs are gross, but the hotel is in a sad state of disrepair and there are only so many cosmetic fixes that can be done before the money must be spent.

I was apprehensive at first writing the original post, but I thought my personal experience should be shared. Not to disparage that property, just to make other aware. That being said, it's just up to Hilton standards that I'm used to. And that has nothing to do with the bugs.

I appreciate your original post, because it reminds me that I have a responsibility to myself and my family to check for bedbugs. I agree this Hilton Property needs renovation in a big way, but we enjoy the location, made to order breakfast, social hour in the evening, separate "living room" with small kitchenette and in our case I kept watching and continued to update my reservation when I saw a price drop until it bottomed out and we are paying $132/night for 2 nights pre cruise. Now I just need to remember to check the room before settling in for the night;)

We stayed there for the first time a few weeks ago and I agree with what the others have said, needs a major renovation. Our room had a strange musty smell, was very beat up and the toilet was not properly sealed to the floor. You could literally rock back and forth on it. We would not stay there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Hammergirl

How can I check my hotel rooms for bed bugs? I practically live in them half the year.

*** disclaimer***** I, myself have no firsthand experience with bed bugs, however the company I work for has, and as such I was trained in bed bug detection.

The first place you check is by peeling back the fitted sheet of your mattress, pay close attention to the piping around the mattress, carefully look in the crevice to see if there are any live or dead bugs. Even if you don't find any, if you find tiny dark stains (blood spots), this is also evidence that bed bugs were (are) there.

Check behind pictures on the walls, and look in and around electrical sockets - these are bed bug hiding places.

Never leave your suitcase on the floor, always use a luggage rack.

Hope this helps.....

*** disclaimer***** I, myself have no firsthand experience with bed bugs, however the company I work for has, and as such I was trained in bed bug detection.

The first place you check is by peeling back the fitted sheet of your mattress, pay close attention to the piping around the mattress, carefully look in the crevice to see if there are any live or dead bugs. Even if you don't find any, if you find tiny dark stains (blood spots), this is also evidence that bed bugs were (are) there.

Check behind pictures on the walls, and look in and around electrical sockets - these are bed bug hiding places.

Never leave your suitcase on the floor, always use a luggage rack.

Hope this helps.....

Eww, what a yucky subject!

We own multifamily apartments and occasionally this happens in some of the nicest places, but people who travel may eventually get these.

What ckrobyn said is what our pest control has told me too. In addition, they told me to check behind the headboard and under bedding, but typically, they like to lay eggs on the wood behind the headboard (if there is one).

When I go anywhere, I check all around the bed for eggs. Haven't found any yet but luck favors the prepared mind!

I don't mind getting bit but getting rid of bedbugs scares me lol (even in a small area). Everything needs to be emptied, covered, washed in hot water and even then there is a chance you didn't get them. I've seen everything from bleach, baby powder and chemicals and nothing works 100% of the time. Smaller apartments are easier than a large single family house, but either way, make sure you don't bring them back to your home from that one night hotel stay!

We arrived into FLL last night for a pre cruise stay at the embassy suites on 17th street. Fairly pricey, but great location.

Anyway, we get to the hotel about 7:30pm. Get into the room and I begin my usual inspection for bed bugs. So, as I start looking under the sheets around the piping of the mattress. "EUREKA, BED BUGS".

I immediately call the front desk, the property maintenance manager comes up to inspect, he is not to happy with the findings.

So, we go back to the lobby and the on duty hotel manager meets with me and switches our room. The manager and I go into the next room and it reeks from cigarettes smoke.

Now the problem is they are fully sold and no more rooms available. They were going to switch us to another Hilton property with all transportation costs paid by them. But, there was a last minute cancellation and another room opened.

The manager could not have been nicer to us. She, comped us for dinner while we waited for the room to open up. Thank goodness after a thorough check of that room there ware no signs of bugs.

So, although the stay got off to a bad start, the management was very professional and accommodating. She also comped our room. Called us about 20 minutes after checking up on us and personalized brought us up bottled water.

However, we will never stay there again, but this day and age it's very prevalent in the hotel industry. Even though they bent over backwards to assist us. I don't think we would ever go back there . The hotel needs a lot of TLC. Especially when the get a premium price for the room .

It's not the first report of the bed bugs.

FYI...for those wanting to stay in another Hilton Brand hotel. We are staying at the Hampton Inn in Plantation.

Perks:

-$100 less than Embassy

-Free shuttle from Airport

-Free shuttle to cruise terminal

-10 minutes from the port (according to Google Maps)

-

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

FYI...for those wanting to stay in another Hilton Brand hotel. We are staying at the Hampton Inn in Plantation.

Perks:

-$100 less than Embassy

-Free shuttle from Airport

-Free shuttle to cruise terminal

-10 minutes from the port (according to Google Maps)

-

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Great price and set up.