Embassy suites 17th street. 1st room had bed bugs.

NJporkroll

We used to stay at this ES all the time many years ago. We did have a lapse in judgment and booked them for a night in dec of last year since we could have 5 people in the room. That was a huge mistake.

The room was dingy, musty smelling and in bad shape. Then we needed blankets etc for the sofa bed and it took them over an hour to get them to us. Not happy at all. They did accuse us of lying and saying this to just get the staff in trouble. Supervisor came and looked and said we were right. REALLY!!!

Complained about that and the crappy food and they ended up comping our room. I would never stay there again unless it is closed and totally remodeled. Otherwise we will go elsewhere.

We used to stay at this ES all the time many years ago. We did have a lapse in judgment and booked them for a night in dec of last year since we could have 5 people in the room. That was a huge mistake.

The room was dingy, musty smelling and in bad shape. Then we needed blankets etc for the sofa bed and it took them over an hour to get them to us. Not happy at all. They did accuse us of lying and saying this to just get the staff in trouble. Supervisor came and looked and said we were right. REALLY!!!

Complained about that and the crappy food and they ended up comping our room. I would never stay there again unless it is closed and totally remodeled. Otherwise we will go elsewhere.

We were just there. It was fabulous as it has been the last three times we stayed there. The restaurant was phenomenal, but the breakfast was just ok..

This is a very popular hotel, so perhaps you got it a a bad time. Sorry you had those experiences..

cheeseclan We used to stay at this ES all the time many years ago. We did have a lapse in judgment and booked them for a night in dec of last year since we could have 5 people in the room. That was a huge mistake.

The room was dingy, musty smelling and in bad shape. Then we needed blankets etc for the sofa bed and it took them over an hour to get them to us. Not happy at all. They did accuse us of lying and saying this to just get the staff in trouble. Supervisor came and looked and said we were right. REALLY!!! Complained about that and the crappy food and they ended up comping our room. I would never stay there again unless it is closed and totally remodeled. Otherwise we will go elsewhere.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are booked at this property pre-cruise Feb 2017. Just did a double check at the Trip Advisor site for recent hotel reviews over the last 7 day period at Embassy Suites 17th St. On a TA Rating Scale of 1 (Bad) to 5 (Excellent) the 12 most recent independent reviews I saw averaged 4.58 (Excellent) along with favorable comments. Can all these people be wrong - could it be that maybe - there may be more to this negative post. Hopefully not!

Edited by seafish

I do find all the bad reviews on here puzzling. :confused: Our last visit in February and the year before in February were pretty good. Breakfast is always above any other hotel that includes breakfast. ;)

The OP never answered what type of stateroom they stayed in. We have always booked the Executive (may be called the Premium) because it has an extra sink and vanity in the bedroom and more room for luggage. It also comes with free snacks and drinks from the machine.

It might have been a bad day for the ES but i can say that it did happen. My husband and i travel all over the world for work and this was BAD. Otherwise they would not have comped the room.

It needs to be remodeled ASAP. All they are doing is patching it up while raking in the $.

Not worth the $300 we would have spent.

No $300 is a rather high price for one of those rooms. We never pay that much for a room. So was 931 a Standard suite or Premium?

All off the regular rooms I have stayed in at Embassy have a sink and vanity in the bedroom.

I thought we were paying up for the extra large bedroom and extra vanity. :confused: How funny!

So do all the Standard Suites bedrooms look like this?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34227-d84451-r329425490-Embassy_Suites_by_Hilton_Fort_Lauderdale_17th_Street-Fort_Lauderdale_Broward_County.html#photos;=25490

And this:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34227-d84451-r258673387-Embassy_Suites_by_Hilton_Fort_Lauderdale_17th_Street-Fort_Lauderdale_Broward_County.html#photos;geo=34227&detail=84451&ff=125409155&albumViewMode=hero&albumid=101&baseMediaId=125409155&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=2

I guess we are paying extra just for the highlighted items and not the bedroom sink.:o

Description of the Premium Suites:

2 ROOM PREMIUM SUITE-1 KING BED-NONSMOKING

Refreshment Center, WiFi, Keurig coffee brewer, made-to-order breakfast, Evening Reception.

Refreshment center access, WiFi, Keurig coffee brewer are all included in our Premium Suites.[/b] Refreshment centers on these floors come stocked with non-alcoholic beverages and snacks. All of our suites include complimentary made-to-order full breakfast and Evening Reception featuring beer, wine, premium spirits and light snacks

This room includes a step out balcony (not sure if everyone has a balcony)[/b], separate living area, sofa bed to ensure a relaxing stay. This suite has 1 king-sized bed with a well-lit executive desk, with an ergonomic chair, and a wet bar area with a small refrigerator, microwave and coffeemaker. In the living area, guests can enjoy a queen-sized sofa bed, overstuffed side chair, two ottomans and an LCD flat-screen TV. The bedroom features an additional granite vanity with sink and an LCD flat-screen TV.

Edited by Iamthesea

As others have noted, unfortunately bedbugs can happen anywhere. I think those of you with reservations months from now shouldn't over-react thinking that because there were bedbugs last week in one room that they will still be a problem months from now. Reputable hotels will do all they can to remedy the problem immediately. Letting it go on for months would definitely impact their bottom line.

We have stayed at the ES several times before and always been satisfied, so reserved it for our January pre cruise. However, I already had some concerns after watching the generally poor reviews on Trip Advisor, but this thread pushed me over the edge. We now have a reservation at the Renaissance, which is the same price and gets much better reviews. I agree in general with those who advise us not to overreact, but why take a chance when there are other choices?

No $300 is a rather high price for one of those rooms. We never pay that much for a room. So was 931 a Standard suite or Premium?

I thought we were paying up for the extra large bedroom and extra vanity. :confused: How funny!

So do all the Standard Suites bedrooms look like this?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34227-d84451-r329425490-Embassy_Suites_by_Hilton_Fort_Lauderdale_17th_Street-Fort_Lauderdale_Broward_County.html#photos;=25490

And this:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34227-d84451-r258673387-Embassy_Suites_by_Hilton_Fort_Lauderdale_17th_Street-Fort_Lauderdale_Broward_County.html#photos;geo=34227&detail=84451&ff=125409155&albumViewMode=hero&albumid=101&baseMediaId=125409155&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=2

I guess we are paying extra just for the highlighted items and not the bedroom sink.:o

Description of the Premium Suites:

2 ROOM PREMIUM SUITE-1 KING BED-NONSMOKING

Refreshment Center, WiFi, Keurig coffee brewer, made-to-order breakfast, Evening Reception.

Refreshment center access, WiFi, Keurig coffee brewer are all included in our Premium Suites.[/b] Refreshment centers on these floors come stocked with non-alcoholic beverages and snacks. All of our suites include complimentary made-to-order full breakfast and Evening Reception featuring beer, wine, premium spirits and light snacks

This room includes a step out balcony (not sure if everyone has a balcony)[/b], separate living area, sofa bed to ensure a relaxing stay. This suite has 1 king-sized bed with a well-lit executive desk, with an ergonomic chair, and a wet bar area with a small refrigerator, microwave and coffeemaker. In the living area, guests can enjoy a queen-sized sofa bed, overstuffed side chair, two ottomans and an LCD flat-screen TV. The bedroom features an additional granite vanity with sink and an LCD flat-screen TV.

The rooms are the same for premium or regular . They all have balconies , some are standing only and some have a chair on them. The only difference in premium versus regular is

Keuring Coffee

Refreshment center access

Even wifi is free is you are a hilton member but they advertise it as part of the premium package.

Hope this helps.

I've checked every bed I sleep in. Had them athome, came from upstairs apartment caught one on the wall. Exterminator was horrified about the condition of my neighbor's apartment, need I say more...

Needed two treatments to get rid of em. Not Fun.

https://www.epa.gov/bedbugs/how-find-bed-bugs

Rusty or reddish stains on bed sheets or mattresses caused by bed bugs being crushed.

Dark spots about this size: • ...

Eggs and eggshells, which are tiny (about 1mm) and pale yellow skins that nymphs shed as they grow larger.

Live bed bug

The rooms are the same for premium or regular . They all have balconies , some are standing only and some have a chair on them. The only difference in premium versus regular is

Keuring Coffee

Refreshment center access

Even wifi is free is you are a hilton member but they advertise it as part of the premium package.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. LOL It does help.

We first booked a Premium Suite when I noticed that the rates had gone down to what we had previously booked the standard room. So we cancelled and rebooked. Same thing happened last year. For this upcoming reservation, there was only a few dollars difference between the Premium and the Standard, so I just went ahead and booked the Premium. However, I check the rates every now and then and will cancel/rebook if they go down.

I do remember a few years ago that the hotel was starting some renovations from the top down. Our Premium Suite 2 years ago was in top condition and on level 12. So perhaps those Premium Suites are kept up better than the Standard rooms??? I can't remember the location last year.

I am an Honors Member. Plus I have some data on my iPad, so really do not need the "free" WiFi. I do love the Keurig (and have one in my home.) Plus the drinks and snacks out of the machine are nice. We get trail mix, crackers, and sweets, to pack in the backpack for excursions.

OP did you also report this to tripadvisor? I know that a lot of people like me, like to refer to that site for up to date info. I also know that bdbgs can occur in the best hotels anytime, and are brought in, but knowing that there is recent activity, is always useful to me as a tripadvisor user. So please do post this info there as well. I don't see any recent post regarding this over on that site.

If I have a prepaid, non refundable room or not, I will still go there, but will be extra vigilant in my "search" for activity, given up to date info. I always check, but will give extra attention knowing there has been a recent occurrence.

I have always had good stays at Embassy suites. But whether I stay at Rodeway, Hilton, or Marriott, etc, I do the same room check upon entering the room. It does take me some time, but give me peace of mind a bit.

Edited by SMSACE6

OP did you also report this to tripadvisor? I know that a lot of people like me, like to refer to that site for up to date info. I also know that bdbgs can occur in the best hotels anytime, and are brought in, but knowing that there is recent activity, is always useful to me as a tripadvisor user. So please do post this info there as well. I don't see any recent post regarding this over on that site.

If I have a prepaid, non refundable room or not, I will still go there, but will be extra vigilant in my "search" for activity, given up to date info. I always check, but will give extra attention knowing there has been a recent occurrence.

I have always had good stays at Embassy suites. But whether I stay at Rodeway, Hilton, or Marriott, etc, I do the same room check upon entering the room. It does take me some time, but give me peace of mind a bit.

It's people that bring bed bugs into a hotel, on their bodies, clothes and luggage and these people get to the hotel in taxi cabs and rental cars, so maybe it would be best if everyone gives those vehicles a good inspections before they put their luggage in and then themselves.

Now, most people fly to get to the ports, so don't forget to check those airline seats where a dozen different people sit every single day, 7 days a week.

Bed bugs don't have wings so they depend on people to carry them from one place to another.

My FIRST knee jerk reaction was to cancel my upcoming stay in Feb. 2017.

So I check rates at other hotels and things have jumped at least 50 a night since I booked.

Then I remembered in 2015 I stayed at Disney World in a hotel that had reported bed bugs two weeks prior. I didn't cancel, I just did my normal routine of checking the room.

I check EVERY place I may stay awhile..hotel, cruise room, airline seat, and even in Vegas I check restaurant seats ( reports of infestations found there too )

Listen,its like norovirus. Ships cant control it if some nasty pax didn't wash his hands after the bathroom and touched everything. The place didn't make the bedbugs, someone brought them in. Its how they HANDLE the issue that is important.

I would think that a business as Embassy Suites is going to do everything they can to control the issue. Their business model depends upon US, the cruisers. They know we review, we post, we suggest, we run squeamishly away.

So, cruisers I would suggest that the BEST thing to do is to do what the OP did. Before you stay anywhere..look, search, and look again. The place that is bed bug free today may not be tomorrow.

*** disclaimer***** I, myself have no firsthand experience with bed bugs, however the company I work for has, and as such I was trained in bed bug detection.

The first place you check is by peeling back the fitted sheet of your mattress, pay close attention to the piping around the mattress, carefully look in the crevice to see if there are any live or dead bugs. Even if you don't find any, if you find tiny dark stains (blood spots), this is also evidence that bed bugs were (are) there.

Check behind pictures on the walls, and look in and around electrical sockets - these are bed bug hiding places.

Never leave your suitcase on the floor, always use a luggage rack.

Hope this helps.....

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's people that bring bed bugs into a hotel, on their bodies, clothes and luggage and these people get to the hotel in taxi cabs and rental cars, so maybe it would be best if everyone gives those vehicles a good inspections before they put their luggage in and then themselves.

Now, most people fly to get to the ports, so don't forget to check those airline seats where a dozen different people sit every single day, 7 days a week.

Bed bugs don't have wings so they depend on people to carry them from one place to another.

thanks, yes I know this, and it is the reason why I do the same check regardless of the type of hotel I stay at. I was riding the sun trolley on St Pete Beach/Treasure Island run a couple of years ago, and saw one crawling along the top of the seat in front of me. Yes, I moved pretty fast, but also kept looking for more, and was so glad when my stop came and got off.

I also would not cancel my reservation at a hotel if there were reports of bed bugs on TA, but would just be more vigilant in my searching for them on arrival in the room. I know, I should always give every room the same attention, but sometimes, after travelling, one gets a bit tired and complacent especially in a nice hotel.

I am a retired home care nurse, and a few of my colleagues picked them up visiting clients in their homes and unwittingly brought them home:eek: We used to get regular training sessions on it. Thankfully I never did have that experience.

But I always do the check, and even if I won the lotto, and went to a Ritz hotel or similar, I would still check. You just never know.

Denise - I so agree!

We are sticking with our reservations. Booked flights to stay overnight in Ft. Lauderdale. Will go to Miami the next day.

I checked the rates again for our booking, and so far, our room is $30 higher than when we booked. It's lower than the standard room rate, as well. I feel good about our choice for one night. We will check the room, well.