Horrible cabin steward on the Carnival Dream

ApoJacks

Just got back from a week long cruise on the Carnival Dream. Overall, the cruise was good, the dining room staff was great, ship's staff was great....there was one skid mark on the entire trip....our cabin steward. Our room was made up three times during the week....each time we had to request it. We were in cabin 2254. I will not name the steward because of what follows....

The level of service was so poor we had to go to guest services and complain. Friday night he came to our cabin at 730, I told him that we were getting ready for dinner, please come back after 815. He said he had some stuff to deliver to the room, I told him again to please come back after 815. 20 minutes later I am in the shower, my wife had just gotten out of the shower and was stark naked when there was a knock on the door, she said; "Hold on a minute please", he just walked in while she was naked. I went to guest services to complain again, they brought in an officer from the house keeping division and the deck 2 floor supervisor. They were extremely apologetic, and said that we would have to call Carnival Corporate on Monday (I have yet to get anyone on the phone, I have tried twice and have waited over a half hour each time) to get the matter fully addressed by senior management. Not sure what happened, the steward came to our room the next day, never even got an apology. Still very unhappy. I would like to contact John Heald, but I don't even know how to get a hold of him via Facebook. There seems to be no option to message him or write on his page....any thoughts?

Haven't we heard almost this exact story once before?

Thoughts? Plenty. Share them? Not on your life.

I hope it wasn't on the same ship? My wife was totally humiliated...I was thoroughly angry and upset by this behavior.

First. Sorry this happened. It's very helpful to flip the lock - in our case to keep out ill timed questions from our teen sons- and clearly would offer protection here as well.

I have had them come in while I was in the bathroom - they opened the cabin door to make a repair before DH could answer it. They apologized - they simply didn't hear him say hold on. So the lock has been in place ever since.

As for JH, FB has a write on his page block just under the photo. Start there.

You can always mail a letter to corporate.

I'm not sure what you are after here...if you are looking for compensation I have no idea whether or not they will. But you are due an apology if nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At the very least I want an apology. My wife spent our last sea day in the room because she didn't want to have to go out and risk running in to the guy. And some sort of guarantee that this will never happen to anyone else. The entire trip was fantastic, our waiters Alfred and Gabor in the main dining room were so attentive to my wife's food allergies, and even the maitre d Goran came by to our cabin to check on her the one night they accidentally brought something to the table she was allergic to. They went above and beyond...our cabin steward...not so much....

At the very least I want an apology. My wife spent our last sea day in the room because she didn't want to have to go out and risk running in to the guy. And some sort of guarantee that this will never happen to anyone else. The entire trip was fantastic, our waiters Alfred and Gabor in the main dining room were so attentive to my wife's food allergies, and even the maitre d Goran came by to our cabin to check on her the one night they accidentally brought something to the table she was allergic to. They went above and beyond...our cabin steward...not so much....

Didn't you say you already got one? You want another one? A more apologetic one? One directly from the steward?

You'll never get a guarantee it won't happen to someone else because there is no way to universally guarantee such a thing.

Doesn't anyone use the "Snoozin'" sign, the deadbolt and the security clamp-type thing on the doors - especially when they know they have a oddly-behaving steward?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2389322&highlight=deadbolt

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2329487&highlight=deadbolt

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2343400&highlight=deadbolt

Didn't you say you already got one? You want another one? A more apologetic one? One directly from the steward?

You'll never get a guarantee it won't happen to someone else because there is no way to universally guarantee such a thing.

Doesn't anyone use the "Snoozin'" sign, the deadbolt and the security clamp-type thing on the doors - especially when they know they have a oddly-behaving steward?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2389322&highlight=deadbolt

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2329487&highlight=deadbolt

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2343400&highlight=deadbolt

He said they never got an apology, I don't know where you saw that they did?

True. The officer and the floor supervisor were apologetic, but they just kept repeating they would address it with the guy but we needed to follow up with Carnival because there was "nothing they could do."

I agree that Carnival won't guarantee it won't happen to another. That's just impossible. And as another poster noted, this complaint has been seen on the boards before - its rare, but it still happens.

Contact JH from FB - I am confident he will issue an apology. Who knows if they would offer anything else.

And chalk this up to a case of the first time - shame on him...but a second time? Shame on me...

He DID say that they got an apology from one of the Officers and a supervisor for that steward.

Definitely use the door locks when in your cabin!!!

The deadbolt is there for a reason.

Seems like you want more than an apology if you keep calling Corporate over this.

On my last cruise on the Vista our steward was just horrible. Kept forgetting things, didn't service the cabin, etc. I just talked to him and told him that I won't tell on him, but others would. So, in order to keep his job, please start treating the guests after us better.

He apologized and we parted ways.

It's unfortunate that it happened but they can't undo it. I'm not sure what you want Carnival to do about it now. How can they make this better? Are you looking for compensation? I could be wrong but I doubt you'll get it. If compensation would have made this better, you probably should have asked for some type of OBC on the ship.

They probably get hundreds of calls, letters and emails each week from returning guests. I think the best you could hope for now is some generic form letter saying "thanks for letting us know what happened. We apologize".

Honestly I think you have to chalk this up as a learning experience and use the dead bolt and the snoozing sign in the future.

What in the world could John Heald possibly do? :confused:

Well it seemed like the OP wanted an additional apology, and he wanted the "higher ups" to know. John seems pretty good about passing on this information. And...it's also all over FB for anyone who reads the page....:o

Whenever we are in our cabin, no matter the time of day, we have the "Snoozin" sign out because we don't want to be disturbed. And the door is locked.

We do as well - that "snoozin'" sign is the first thing we grab as we open the door...regardless of what we may be in the cabin for, we do not wish to be disturbed -

Having to sit in on many Captain's "Mast" sessions, where crew discipline is handed out, I will say that the response by the housekeeping supervisors (no one in the Hotel Department is an officer) is pure BS. This should have been documented immediately by these supervisors and brought to the Staff Captain's attention that same day. The crew member would have been subject to a written warning at the very least (and generally two of these leads to termination), or to termination at the end of the cruise. They are papering over their own poor management, and hoping not to have a period of short handed operations while a new steward is hired. This kind of thing is handled at the ship level, not Corporate.

I find this quote very strange "My wife spent our last sea day in the room because she didn't want to have to go out and risk running into the guy. "

Why would let a cabin steward get the best of you? Did you think he was going to physically assault you?

I find this quote very strange "My wife spent our last sea day in the room because she didn't want to have to go out and risk running into the guy. "

Why would let a cabin steward get the best of you? Did you think he was going to physically assault you?

While I agree with you that I personally find the response odd, I also recognize that all people do not respond the same way. Some people, especially women, have "body issues" and can be highly embarrassed by such exposure; her personal privacy had been violated, and some people can take longer to overcome that than others.

Perhaps it's just me but when someone says

They were extremely apologetic, and said that we would have to call Carnival Corporate on Monday

that means they got an apology. It's difficult to be "extremely apologetic" without some form of an apology being provided.