Elevators going from the back of the ship to the front

AmazedByCruising

I agree! Same goes for escalators, especially since most of them are not as wide as the flat belts. My feeling is, if you want to walk up the stairs ... then walk up the STAIRS, not the escalators! And don't grumble at anyone "hogging" the space or simply standing & riding ... you have no idea what their situation is.

On airport concourse moving walkways there are almost always signs indicating "stand on right, walk on left" - just as there are almost always people standing on both sides and blocking . I reserve the right to grumble about selfish and/or lazy people regardless of "what their situation is".

I agree! Same goes for escalators, especially since most of them are not as wide as the flat belts. My feeling is, if you want to walk up the stairs ... then walk up the STAIRS, not the escalators! And don't grumble at anyone "hogging" the space or simply standing & riding ... you have no idea what their situation is.

Are you serious? I dare you to stand on an escalator towards the left at a subway or train station. Sure, it's nice for those with disabilities or those not in a hurry, but the intent is to get people to where they want to go faster (like work, or their plane, in the case of a moving sidewalk).

Yes, I occasionally stand on the left, even in subway or train stations. Not a lot, but sometimes.

When I feel like walking, I take the stairs. That's what they're for ... I think the "intent" of escalators is to get people where they are going without having to walk, not necessarily faster.

This is actually one of my traveling pet peeves: people who are too dumb/lazy/entitled/uneducated/etc., to READ AND OBSERVE the signs on the escalators and moving walkways to STAND TO ONE SIDE SO THAT OTHERS MAY PASS. It has nothing to do with your physical condition/infirmity, it has to do with common courtesy.

Sometimes, I wish I was aggressive enough to swing my back pack and hit these idiots as I try to pass by (like idiots do when they are going down the airplane cabin aisle and hit me when I'm in my aisle seat). But, for now, I only do it in my mind as I say politely, but loudly "EXCUSE ME." :evilsmile:

This is actually one of my traveling pet peeves: people who are too dumb/lazy/entitled/uneducated/etc., to READ AND OBSERVE the signs on the escalators and moving walkways to STAND TO ONE SIDE SO THAT OTHERS MAY PASS. It has nothing to do with your physical condition/infirmity, it has to do with common courtesy.

Sometimes, I wish I was aggressive enough to swing my back pack and hit these idiots as I try to pass by (like idiots do when they are going down the airplane cabin aisle and hit me when I'm in my aisle seat). But, for now, I only do it in my mind as I say politely, but loudly "EXCUSE ME." :evilsmile:

Similar signs throughout the world:

B7j0gCICIAANcSk.jpg

cafe016.jpg

bts-walk-left-stand-right.jpg

Edited by whogo

The first time I cruised on a HAL ship was the Ryndam in 2001...it had a pair of escalator's connecting the two lower lobby levels. I have been on the similar 'S' class Veendam in 2010...there was no sign of those escalator's anymore, so for probably good reason, they eliminated them.

As for moving walkways....there is an abbreviated version taking passenger's up to 'Skywalker's Lounge' on certain Princess ships.....

Several years ago I was involved in a re-design of a major University library. We moved the entrance to the second floor to maximize book storage on the ground floor (weight). The University advised us to design in escalators as the students would be too lazy to walk up any steps. So we did.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

Coincidentally, just last week I watched a YouTube video about the Carnival Pinnacle project. That seeing from over a decade ago featured horizontal transportation around the ship.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Coincidentally, just last week I watched a YouTube video about the Carnival Pinnacle project. That seeing from over a decade ago featured horizontal transportation around the ship.

That's what I posted which revived an old thread. Which then turned into a thread about escalator etiquette instead of discussing how cool it would be. :)

This raises a question of ethics: is it appropriate for someone to use a mobility scooter on a "moving walkway"?

A good question... while someone using a mobility device, powered wheelchair or scooter, is entitled to use the same facilities as an able-bodied person, in this instance it would seem silly to use a moving walkway, if they can just roll along... a manual wheelchair is another story...

Why do I suspect that having the moving walkway would end up something like this

http://ed.ted.com/on/roKd6xUC

:D

I'm sure there would be cases of this! And, they'd demand compensation for being stuck...

How would a moving walkway be installed? Put it on the Promenade? Some ships are doing away with the Promenade. Not every deck has a bow-to-aft area to put the walkway. Remove a row of inside cabins to have enough space for a walkway in the hallway?? Where do you stop the walkway? How far would the user have to walk on their own to get to a dining room, the pool, the spa...