Corkage Fee question

felixdacat

Note: I did a search but did not see the info I needed.

I know that if I bring wine on board I need to pay $15 per 750ml bottle as a corkage fee.

So...does corkage fee mean that they will actually uncork the bottle for you? In other words, do I need to pack a corkscrew (jeez cat, not like that's very heavy).

Could you bring an unopened bottle to the MDR and have them open it there? Also I know that on other cruise lines, when you pay the corkage fee they will actually store your bottle and pour the remaining wine at another meal. Will NCL do that?

FX

Hi....no you don't need to bring a cork screw opener.. They will open and store it for you. If you have one bottle and you don't finish it the first night they will put your name on it and hold it for you until the next night. You don't need to bring it back to your cabin.

I don't think there's any need to bring a corkscrew... we have always had one in our cabin, but I'm not sure if that's because they are always there or if because the travel agent gives us a bottle of wine. I am sure you could explain to your cabin steward that you paid the corkage fee, and could he please provide you with a corkscrew.

We brought wine with us just once. Didn't have a corkscrew, but wanted to drink it on our balcony. I simply went to the nearest bar (O'Sheehans) and the bar tender gladly opened the bottle for us. Nothing about corkage was even mentioned (which we did pay btw)

I know that if I bring wine on board I need to pay $15 per 750ml bottle as a corkage fee.

So...does corkage fee mean that they will actually uncork the bottle for you? In other words, do I need to pack a corkscrew (jeez cat, not like that's very heavy).

Could you bring an unopened bottle to the MDR and have them open it there? Also I know that on other cruise lines, when you pay the corkage fee they will actually store your bottle and pour the remaining wine at another meal. Will NCL do that?

FX

Yes. But even though you already paid a corkage fee to NCL, expect some tip groveling from the server.

FX

You can drop off the wine wherever you'll be having dinner the first night if you want. Even if you don't know, or change your mind, they will get it from wherever it is. Just tell your server you have a bottle stored. You can do the same thing if you order a bottle of wine with dinner and don't finish it. There should be no "groveling for a tip". Between the corkage fee, the DSC which covers MDR servers, and the 18% Specialty add on that covers specialty servers, everyone is covered.

We brought wine with us just once. Didn't have a corkscrew, but wanted to drink it on our balcony. I simply went to the nearest bar (O'Sheehans) and the bar tender gladly opened the bottle for us. Nothing about corkage was even mentioned (which we did pay btw)

Same thing we do. Or sometimes we ask the steward to have it opened.

I brought two bottles of wine aboard and no corkscrew. The cabin steward brought us a corkscrew and that bottle we had on the balcony. The second bottle we brought to the MDR where it was tagged, chilled and served with dinner. No groveling either.

I brought two bottles of wine aboard and no corkscrew. The cabin steward brought us a corkscrew and that bottle we had on the balcony. The second bottle we brought to the MDR where it was tagged, chilled and served with dinner. No groveling either.

Since nobody here feels the need to tip their server, maybe that why WE were given a hard time.

We were ignored by a waitress when we brought a bottle to a lounge.

I don't think there's any need to bring a corkscrew... we have always had one in our cabin, but I'm not sure if that's because they are always there or if because the travel agent gives us a bottle of wine. I am sure you could explain to your cabin steward that you paid the corkage fee, and could he please provide you with a corkscrew.

Just one correction. You don't have to explain that you paid the corkage fee. If you have a bottle of wine, they'll assume you paid it. You pay it at embarkation.

Just one correction. You don't have to explain that you paid the corkage fee. If you have a bottle of wine, they'll assume you paid it. You pay it at embarkation.

No explanations necessary, however, both the cabin steward and MDR staff looked for the label that indicates that the gratuity had been paid.

No explanations necessary, however, both the cabin steward and MDR staff looked for the label that indicates that the gratuity had been paid.

Wrong !

They look for a tip. That label does not mean crap to them.

The underpaid crew would just like you to understand that they are on-board to assist you, whist making a little money.

Don't be so cheap.

Wrong !

The underpaid crew would just like you to understand that they are on-board to assist you, whist making a little money.

Don't be so cheap.

$hipo$hap don't call me cheap. You have NO knowledge whether or not I gave the server a gratuity. In addition, you were not there to verify that the hostess and the cabin steward did or did not look for the label to verify that the gratuity had in fact been paid.

Your post is full of assumptions!

Since nobody here feels the need to tip their server, maybe that why WE were given a hard time.

Do you understand what the Daily Service Charges, the Corkage Fee, and the 18% gratuity on drinks and drink packages is for? You have already paid $15 in order for a waiter somewhere to pop the cork and provide you with two glasses. That's a pretty hefty tip. I don't feel like I should have to provide any more than that at the time of service.;).

Nothing more is, or should be, expected and anything beyond that is up to the individual. Many people do tip the additional $ or two on drinks in cash as do we, but not every time.

Why do you keep insinuating that the servers have an attitude or grovel for tips? That insinuates that someone who hustles and works hard, maybe to get a good review and a promotion, and maybe more tips than a coworker, is "groveling". I don't know what your waitresses problem was, but she would not have gotten away with ignoring me.

I sort of remember being given a corkscrew when I paid my corkage fee for the six bottles I brought on.

Also a bartender asked me to give him the tags off the ones I opened in my room. Apparently whoever pulls the tag gets the gratuity.

After that whenever I offered a tag to someone behind the bar they were always appreciative.

This was in 2014 so things could have changed.

Wrong !

Don't be so cheap.

Wrong! The staff can hand in the corkage tip label to get some $$.

I'm confused. You are chastising everyone for not tipping their servers, but then say that you were ignored by a waitress. Does that mean that you also did not tip her? If you were following your own advice, why didn't you just flash her an Andrew Jackson to get her to come running over?

Servers do get tipped... that's what the DSC and the 18% and the corkage fee is for. Or are you saying you go around the ship with a roll of $5 bills and just peel them off and hand them to every employee you come across when you order something?

• 2 weeks later...

Did I read that correctly - NCL Charges the corking fee at embarkation? do they stand there at the x-ray scanners and see who has it and then charge them the fee right there at the service desk? In the past with other lines, we had always just put a bottle or two in carry on, and opened it up on board either in our room with our own bottle opener (no fee paid), or in the restaurant and had a fee applied. We have the UBP on the upcoming cruise, so if I am going to pay $15per bottle, I will just leave them at home.

Did I read that correctly - NCL Charges the corking fee at embarkation? do they stand there at the x-ray scanners and see who has it and then charge them the fee right there at the service desk? In the past with other lines, we had always just put a bottle or two in carry on, and opened it up on board either in our room with our own bottle opener (no fee paid), or in the restaurant and had a fee applied. We have the UBP on the upcoming cruise, so if I am going to pay $15per bottle, I will just leave them at home.

OK - lets liquefy the mud and see if that is more pleasing to the pallet then

the taste of the grape.

So you are at the cruise terminal and you have bottles of wine that you want

to consume in moderation (yah you betcha).

You are off to pass thru Security where NCL checks for weapons of mass

destruction and other items items like pocket tools and knives.

When you pass your carry on items thru the exray machine your bottles of

wine and other booze items are noticed.

The hard booze beer and other beverages including water are not permitted

on board and taken from you.

The wine however you will be directed to a NCL revenue agent who will charge

you a $15 corkage fee per bottle and charge your onboard account and then

label the bottles with a small corkage fee paid sticker.

Now you get to lug all the booty on board to your awaiting stateroom.

You didn't bring a cork screw - ask your cabin steward for one - but you may

have found one already in your cabin.

You can take your bottle(s) anywhere on the ship that your little ole heart desires.

If you take it a restaurant and don't consume all of it the wait staff will label

it with your cabin number and keep it in a wine vault somewhere on the ship.

They also will provide you copy of that slip and when you go to your next

restaurant or bar present the slip to have them fetch the wine and then

be served the rest.

In your cabin you should find a least a couple of wine glasses and the afore

mentioned cork screw - ask your cabin steward for ice if that is needed to

cool the wine to a suitable temperature or as some do just put it into the drink.

You drink the wine the way you want - no wrong answers here !

You mentioned about bringing wine on board other cruise lines - Holland America

is one that permits two bottles of wine to be brought on board FREE of any

fees taxes innuendos - just place it in your carry on baggage and carry on

without further ado.

Now about that UBP - as regards wine the UBP covers house wine by the glass

any where on the ship where liquor is served. It does not cover bottled wine.

You can bring your own wine on board noted above and pay the corkage fee

or peruse the wine list found usually at a restaurant; dining reservations desk;

or some of the bars to purchase a bottle of your choice and have it served just

like any other wine bottle.

There is a program called "VIVA VINO" usually available only on the first few

days of your cruise where you can buy wine by the bottle in different categories

The location is generally in or near the Guest Relations Desk or on some ships

the Pool Deck bar.

You buy the bottles in even multiples ( 4 bottles average under $100 - about

$25 a bottle) and no others fees are required or paid except for the gratuities.

This billed on your stateroom account usually under a Main Dining Room (MDR)

account.

So that is NCL WINE 101 in a nut shell.

Any questions shoot one across the bow - not all answers are in a CC NCL user Manual !

Correct. NCL charges the corkage fee wherever you drink it onboard.

On the positive side, they don't limit the number of bottles you can bring onboard (as I understand many other lines do), so it works better for some people and worse for others.

$hipo$hap don't call me cheap. You have NO knowledge whether or not I gave the server a gratuity. In addition, you were not there to verify that the hostess and the cabin steward did or did not look for the label to verify that the gratuity had in fact been paid.

Your post is full of assumptions!

This is Cruise Critic, so you must expect someone who wasn't there and doesn't know you or the facts to think they have more knowledge of your experiences than you do.

I think my favourite was the person a while ago who was adamant that someone didn't actually get into the theatre for a show without a reservation. They were really certain about that one. :)

OK - lets liquefy the mud and see if that is more pleasing to the pallet then

the taste of the grape.

So you are at the cruise terminal and you have bottles of wine that you want

to consume in moderation (yah you betcha).

You are off to pass thru Security where NCL checks for weapons of mass

destruction and other items items like pocket tools and knives.

When you pass your carry on items thru the exray machine your bottles of

wine and other booze items are noticed.

The hard booze beer and other beverages including water are not permitted

on board and taken from you.

The wine however you will be directed to a NCL revenue agent who will charge

you a $15 corkage fee per bottle and charge your onboard account and then

label the bottles with a small corkage fee paid sticker.

Now you get to lug all the booty on board to your awaiting stateroom.

You didn't bring a cork screw - ask your cabin steward for one - but you may

have found one already in your cabin.

You can take your bottle(s) anywhere on the ship that your little ole heart desires.

If you take it a restaurant and don't consume all of it the wait staff will label

it with your cabin number and keep it in a wine vault somewhere on the ship.

They also will provide you copy of that slip and when you go to your next

restaurant or bar present the slip to have them fetch the wine and then

be served the rest.

In your cabin you should find a least a couple of wine glasses and the afore

mentioned cork screw - ask your cabin steward for ice if that is needed to

cool the wine to a suitable temperature or as some do just put it into the drink.

You drink the wine the way you want - no wrong answers here !

You mentioned about bringing wine on board other cruise lines - Holland America

is one that permits two bottles of wine to be brought on board FREE of any

fees taxes innuendos - just place it in your carry on baggage and carry on

without further ado.

Now about that UBP - as regards wine the UBP covers house wine by the glass

any where on the ship where liquor is served. It does not cover bottled wine.

You can bring your own wine on board noted above and pay the corkage fee

or peruse the wine list found usually at a restaurant; dining reservations desk;

or some of the bars to purchase a bottle of your choice and have it served just

like any other wine bottle.

There is a program called "VIVA VINO" usually available only on the first few

days of your cruise where you can buy wine by the bottle in different categories

The location is generally in or near the Guest Relations Desk or on some ships

the Pool Deck bar.

You buy the bottles in even multiples ( 4 bottles average under $100 - about

$25 a bottle) and no others fees are required or paid except for the gratuities.

This billed on your stateroom account usually under a Main Dining Room (MDR)

account.

So that is NCL WINE 101 in a nut shell.

Any questions shoot one across the bow - not all answers are in a CC NCL user Manual !

Thank you so much- this was the most helpful post! We'll be bringing on a few bottles and was wondering how it worked. You mentioned using shipboard credit- so if we have credit, we can use it towards our wine fee?