Riviera high-speed wi-fi

cruisedoctor

Has the new SpeedNet powered Wi-Fi been installed on the Riviera yet? It's supposed to give the user a "lightning fast" connection.

Dr. J

Good question.. Was supposed to be there in July but was not. It was sort of O.K. but sure not lighting fast. :confused::confused:

Just got off the Riviera Nov 2 after a 7 day cruise from Barcelona to Rome.

The Wifi was tricky and pretty much slow and disappointing. Only one person at a time...within the suite. If my wife was on..have to wait until she got off until I could get on the network. The cruise was fantastic...wifi was not.

Rick

• 2 weeks later...
Has the new SpeedNet powered Wi-Fi been installed on the Riviera yet? It's supposed to give the user a "lightning fast" connection.

Dr. J

Just returned, internet had the speed of dial up, only complaint I could have.

Only one person at a time...within the suite. If my wife was on..have to wait until she got off until I could get on the network.

I'm afraid that you've painted an incomplete picture!

What you meant to say is that only one person at a time was covered under the FREE INTERNET which you received as a perquisite.

Nobody is ever discouraged from buying an additional package for the second person in the room, for those occasions when dual access is a must.

What you meant to say is that only one person at a time was covered under the FREE INTERNET which you received as a perquisite.

Nobody is ever discouraged from buying an additional package for the second person in the room, for those occasions when dual access is a must.

I think this might be a new wrinkle as I don't remember seeing it before.

"Free Internet amenity is one per stateroom; Owner’s, Vista & Oceania Suites receive access for two devices per suite. "

Just back from Riviera. Internet is dreadful!!! Sometimes, you just can't get on for hours and hours. We had the best luck in the middle of the night. Right now, it's a joke.

Witnessed other passengers in the Computer Center throw their arms up in frustration and/or put their heads down in defeat.

So if the second person bought an additional package the internet would be better? Sure do not think so. Just would cost a lot more to make both of us unhappy at the same time. Having FREE INTERNET is no big deal if it does not work.

It won't work any faster but at least you would not have to wait until your wife gets offline...

Over the years I have learnt to be patient with on board internet AND when writing something more than a paragraph to write it in Word and then copy and paste it into an email or a website so I don't get disconnected in the middle of writing...

And - even more important! You are on holiday. You have time... which is a precious commodity.

. Only one person at a time...within the suite. If my wife was on..have to wait until she got off until I could get on the network. The cruise was fantastic...wifi was not.

Rick

If it was slow with only 1 person/cabin being able to be signed in, imagine how much slower it would be with both people in the cabin signed on at the same time - i.e everybody on the ship on the internet at once (pretty much most of the time during waking hours with "free" internet :D) You might even witness both people using their iPhones while having dinner in Jacques instead of talking to each other :D

That said, we have been on many O cruises and use internet mostly to check e mails to make sure all is well (occasional banking when away for a longer time).

While not nearly as fast as at home, it has always been more than adequate for those purposes. We do not surf the net endlessly for amusement or out of boredom, watch YouTube, football games or skype - you would find the internet ill-suited for those purposes.

Edited by Paulchili

It won't work any faster but at least you would not have to wait until your wife gets offline...

Over the years I have learnt to be patient with on board internet AND when writing something more than a paragraph to write it in Word and then copy and paste it into an email or a website so I don't get disconnected in the middle of writing...

And - even more important! You are on holiday. You have time... which is a precious commodity.

This post is really not to the point. They (O) has been telling us that we will be getting hi speed internet. If that were true we would not need to be patient as the internet would work right. Just need to tell us the truth about if or when we will get it. :(:(:(

This post is really not to the point. They (O) has been telling us that we will be getting hi speed internet. If that were true we would not need to be patient as the internet would work right. Just need to tell us the truth about if or when we will get it. :(:(:(

We all have differrent opinions regarding what needs to be "fixed" first, and the list varies from the frequency of shuttles to how often lobster is served, and finally to the number of cabins which each room steward services.

Where in the operating budget of the ship does the speed of the Internet, belong, in your opinion?

31-Balancing-Act-Saving-for-Both-Retirement-and-College.jpg

Is Internet a higher priority than food cost, for example, or should the staff ratio be decreased to pay for faster internet?

The knee jerk reaction is to reply, "let them take it out of profits", but anyone who has ever prepared a budget knows that you don't get that option on a balance sheet.

There are a finite number of dollars available, and those Lines which try to be everything to everyone, all suffer the same fate.

cruise_1a.jpg

We all have differrent opinions regarding what needs to be "fixed" first, and the list varies from the frequency of shuttles to how often lobster is served, and finally to the number of cabins which each room steward services.

Where in the operating budget of the ship does the speed of the Internet, belong, in your opinion?

31-Balancing-Act-Saving-for-Both-Retirement-and-College.jpg

Is Internet a higher priority than food cost, for example, or should the staff ratio be decreased to pay for faster internet?

The knee jerk reaction is to reply, "let them take it out of profits", but anyone who has ever prepared a budget knows that you don't get that option on a balance sheet.

There are a finite number of dollars available, and those Lines which try to be everything to everyone, all suffer the same fate.

cruise_1a.jpg

Amazing how wrong you can be. It was announced months ago that the internet was going to be fixed and by July it would be a new hi speed version. Nothing to do with how they spend their dollars. They told us it would be done. Jimandstan should be up to speed on what O announces to all of us. Too bad they are not living in the real world.

Edited by RJB

Amazing how wrong you can be. It was announced months ago that the internet was going to be fixed and by July it would be a new hi speed version. Nothing to do with how they spend their dollars. They told us it would be done. Jimandstan should be up to speed on what O announces to all of us. Too bad they are not living in the real world.

Speaking of out of touch, do you really imagine that how the Internet is received and distributed by a cruise ship is either free or inexpensive?

If so, I would direct your attention to this very informative article on Cruise Critic: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1419 Please pay particular attention to Section TWO.

Internet Connections run to tens of thousands of dollars annually, dear, and more and more as demand lunges relentlessly upward. It's a VERY significant expense, and the vendors are sometimes overly optomistic in describing the extent of their services.

I agree that Oceania is sometimes remiss in allowing those claims to be broadcast prematurely, but a certain amount of puffing might be understandable, considering the vast amounts that they are spending on Internet.

onboard-internet-satellite-feature.jpg

That said, we've covered only the Software; the Hardware, such as those enormous antennas and the various routers and servers which spread the signal throughout the public spaces and cabins are accounted for (and are depreciated) elsewhere.

Speaking of out of touch, do you really imagine that how the Internet is received and distributed by a cruise ship is either free or inexpensive?

If so, I would direct your attention to this very informative article on Cruise Critic: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1419 Please pay particular attention to Section TWO.

Internet Connections run to tens of thousands of dollars annually, dear, and more and more as demand lunges relentlessly upward. It's a VERY significant expense, and the vendors are sometimes overly optomistic in describing the extent of their services.

I agree that Oceania is sometimes remiss in allowing those claims to be broadcast prematurely, but a certain amount of puffing might be understandable, considering the vast amounts that they are spending on Internet.

onboard-internet-satellite-feature.jpg

That said, we've covered only the Software; the Hardware, such as those enormous antennas and the various routers and servers which spread the signal throughout the public spaces and cabins are accounted for (and are depreciated) elsewhere.

Now you are blaming this in the vendors? When Oceania promises us something they should deliver. And what do you men by puffing. A nicer way to say bait and switch? I understand that these things cost money, but so does everything else. If they are short one or two months are they going to take away the steak and lobster and just give us chicken? They have had more than enough time to get this done. Lets hope. Happy Holidays to all.

Free internet gave me an extra incentive to book this cruise over others.

When I heard that we get free internet I was excited, because that meant I could Skype my mom daily in her nursing home. Doesn't sound like this will be possible unless I skype her at 3 in the morning when it isn't busy----but we know that isn't going to happen. Disappointing!

When I heard that we get free internet I was excited, because that meant I could Skype my mom daily in her nursing home. Doesn't sound like this will be possible unless I skype her at 3 in the morning when it isn't busy----but we know that isn't going to happen. Disappointing!

You might have more luck in some of the ports with free internet (terminal, McDonald's, etc)

I see some of the staff do it all the time in the terminals where they have free wifi.

Edited by Paulchili

You might have more luck in some of the ports with free internet (terminal, McDonald's, etc)

I see some of the staff do it all the time in the terminals where they have free wifi.

We have been doing this for years, before Oceania told us we would get hi speed internet for free. It's not like Oceania reduced our fare when they could not figure out how to give us what they promised. :(:(

Even before they were to upgrade the system the WiFi was not that bad

it may not be fast like at home but it was functional

I think they block skype but someone who uses it may comment

I would not book a cruise just for free internet but to each their own :D

Even before they were to upgrade the system the WiFi was not that bad

it may not be fast like at home but it was functional

I think they block skype but someone who uses it may comment

I would not book a cruise just for free internet but to each their own :D

Was not that bad when most of us were paying for it. Not that much use. Now that it is free many more people using wi fi equals much, much slower. They had to know this when they offered free internet.

Was not that bad when most of us were paying for it. Not that much use. Now that it is free many more people using wi fi equals much, much slower. They had to know this when they offered free internet.

As I have said before

They should go back to "pay for use" system

As I have said before

They should go back to "pay for use" system

Be kinda hard at this point to put the genie back in the bottle. I still do not think it would be that hard for them to get it right. People are now expecting free wi fi.

LHT28----I agree-wouldn't book just for free internet--even though it was a small piece to the puzzle, it was an exciting piece to be able to communicate daily with no time restrictions (oh well)----looking forward to everything else Oceania has to offer!

Paulchili--Thanks for the suggestion of trying to skype in some of the ports--I might be able to make that work.

LHT28----I agree-wouldn't book just for free internet--even though it was a small piece to the puzzle, it was an exciting piece to be able to communicate daily with no time restrictions (oh well)----looking forward to everything else Oceania has to offer!

I have not seen any time restrictions on any of my cruises

I would wait & see when you board your experience may be better than others have portrayed here

There are some areas I have found that you do get a better signal for the WiFi than other spots

Enjoy the cruise