Large earthquake in NZ

Beanb41

Am I correct in my memory from visiting wonderful and charming Wellington in early 2014 that many of their building there were built with wood and/or in a smart way to better withstand the potential damages from earthquakes? Added insights to share here?

We do have high codes of building compliance for earthquakes but Wellington still has a few building that are damaged. The Beehive (Government building) is on massive springs that absorb the quakes and it was opened to the public overnight to give a safe place of refuge as hotels and hostels emptied their buildings of customers for safety.

Currently there are many roads and bridges with major damage that are not an easy fix it will be weeks/months not days before they are fixed. There is also a worry about a river that has been blocked by a large landslide and the water is backing up behind the slip.

We were lucky this hit at midnight and not midday as the Christchurch quake did, that is most likely why we have two reported deaths to date one in a building collapse and one who had a heart attack.

The aftershocks are still coming every few minutes.

Rail and ferries are cancelled while damage is assessed. Schools childcare and Universities are closed. Wellington CBD is also closed while damaged building are checked.

Some areas are only accessible by helicopter and have no phone power or water. Setting up communications in these areas are a priority.

It is an ongoing situation as things are assessed.

I am proud to say that kiwis are doing what kiwis do... helping each other, keeping calm and carrying on.

Nope. Geonet has confirmed that it was 7.5, 15Km deep, centred 15 km north-east of Culverden.

Lots of aftershocks. Damage to infrastructure (particulalry roads), power and water supplies and sewage services in some areas.

Fortunately, only 2 deaths confirmed.

One has to understand that my post was written live as the earthquakes were unfolding and information was coming in almost continuously. After 8 hours GEONET were able to be a bit more precise.

Earthquakes and aftershocks are continuing as I write. We in Wellington can now appreciate how Christchurch residents felt with continuous aftershocks all those years ago

In fact they now think there may have been two quakes of similar magnitude at the same time. Predicting earthquakes is not a precise science at all

Edited by Beanb41

Heres a quirky earthquake story told by caller to talkback radio today.

10 years ago ,their heirloom Grandfather clock stopped working. No matter how hard they tried , it would not go . This morning after the quake they looked at the clock at 6am. It was tickking away and reading 3 minutes to 6.In other words it started up again , after 10 years, at the exact time the quake struck..3 minutes past midnight.:confused:

Centreport is the Port for Wellington.

This report is on their website.

Wonder when the next cruise ships are due...or if they will call?

Wellington’s CentrePort has announced that it will be closed for a number of days due to this morning’s 7.5 earthquake.

Its website says: “CentrePort operations are suspended until further notice while further inspections are undertaken on the port during daylight hours today.”

Chief Executive Derek Nind said in a statement that staff are coordinating inspections of port property and assets during daylight hours today.

“We have sustained damage to buildings and the port and also some liquefaction and differential settlement in places.”

The company was currently inspecting its Harbour Quays site, as well as inspecting its other facilities.

CentrePort said it was working through a process with tenants to ensure all buildings were safe before they were re-occupied, which would happen over the coming days.

“We understand this is inconvenient for customers and tenants and we’ll provide updates when we know more,” Mr Nind said. “Our primary focus is safety.”

One of the buildings on CentrePort land is the BNZ Building, damaged during an earlier earthquake, and the offices of the Regional Council, which (with the city council) owns the port company.

I believe Picton has also sustained damage.

It appears that the Wellington cbd will reopen tomorrow but some buildings are still shut.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/business/86453233/some-buildings-on-wellington-waterfront-believed-to-have-suffered-extensive-damage-in-quake

But kaikoura is still quite devastated

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/nz-earthquake/86452179/kaikoura-cut-off-without-water-supply-and-sewerage-following-earthquakes

Thankfully today was normal today for me. A lot of comparing stories at work on how it woke most of us up... and how a few people thought there was a burglar trying to get in. Kept checking out news sites all day too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't feel the quake where I am but a few of my work colleagues in other parts of Auckland did. Very sad. I feel for everyone experiencing this and who are impacted by this - whether directly or have friends and loved ones in the thick of it.

Beanb41 - hope you are holding up okay in 'Wellywood' with the aftershocks. I am supposed to be down in Wellington next week on business but must admit I'm a little nervous about the risk. I just missed the major Christchurch earthquake by the skin of my teeth by a last minute decision two weeks prior not to be down there on that tragic day and have the work sent up to me instead.

Hope you and your family keep safe - and that goes for anyone else reading who is also affected.

One has to understand that my post was written live as the earthquakes were unfolding and information was coming in almost continuously. After 8 hours GEONET were able to be a bit more precise. Earthquakes and aftershocks are continuing as I write. We in Wellington can now appreciate how Christchurch residents felt with continuous aftershocks all those years ago. In fact they now think there may have been two quakes of similar magnitude at the same time. Predicting earthquakes is not a precise science at all

Appreciate these added updates from Wellington and the various other details. Glad that "things" are moving ahead and that the damage is not as dire as happened with Christchurch, etc. Good luck to all in New Zealand. There was a good amount of TV news coverage this morning on this situation in the U.S. We will keep following with interest and positive hope.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 45,400 views for these postings.

Our thoughts are with you all. We spent 6 weeks in NZ last year, with a great deal of that on South Island. It's heartbreaking to hear about all the damage, but I know the Kiwis will overcome this challenge as well. If our cruise line doesn't change our itinerary, we will be in several NZ ports in February.

So far, most of the posts have talked about Wellington.

While Wellington was affected, most of the earthquake damage is in the South Island.

State Highway One, the main road north-south in the South Island, is closed in many places, due to slips and pavement cracks and distortions.

The coastal town of Kaikoura, a tourist centre for whale watching, is completely cut off and the only access is by helicopter. A navy ship is on its way there with supplies, but is delayed by the storm we're also having.

Parts of Wellington city have opened up but much of it is still closed off and many buildings still have to be inspected. Its going to take a few days to clear all buildings one way or another. Another issue we are having is the high winds and severe rain we are experiencing. Flooding on major arterial routes is creating significant difficulties.

Down in Kaikoura which is still cut off helicopters and light planes are flying tourists out of the town. It could be months before Kaikoura road are fully open. It is not known yet when rail services will recommence. The Navy heavy lift ship HMNZS Canterbury is due off Kaikoura tomorrow with extra supplies. Its landing craft should be able to get additional tourists and some of their campervans off the beach and into Christchurch. Estimated cost of repairs is now in the billions of dollars. Whilst the loss of life is significantly less than Christchurch the cost to repair infrastructure could be a lot greater. The full extent of damage is yet to be determined because some areas are still inaccessible due to ground movement and slips.

The pictures I've seen of the coastal parts of SH1 near Kaikoura look horrendeous, with all the slips and damage to the road. It was lucky that the quake happened in the middle of the night when there was little traffic on the roads. They'll probably have to rebuild some sections of that highway completely.

I hope Nins Bin didn't get buried or washed out to sea. Best crayfish in NZ.

Our thoughts are with all in New Zealand. We are due in Wellington on 23 December and Picton the following day, on the Ovation of the Seas - the largest ship to ever visit Australia and New Zealand. If all goes well, hopefully the passengers and crew will inject some money into the local economy.

I hope these earthquakes don't mean people will cancel their trips or put off travelling to NZ in the future.

We are very much looking forward to our visit to New Zealand next February. We have always been aware of the possibility of such an event due to New Zealand's location on the Ring of Fire but have never been hesitant about visiting. The fact that our trip is during typhoon season did not stop us from booking 10 days in the Cook Islands before we head to Sydney to board our cruise to New Zealand. As long as we have trip cancellation insurance, we can always re-book should anything untoward occur.

The pictures I've seen of the coastal parts of SH1 near Kaikoura look horrendeous, with all the slips and damage to the road. It was lucky that the quake happened in the middle of the night when there was little traffic on the roads. They'll probably have to rebuild some sections of that highway completely.

I hope Nins Bin didn't get buried or washed out to sea. Best crayfish in NZ.

The up to 1,000 tourists who have been trapped due to the landslides isolating Kaikoura , have been dining on fresh crayfish and seafood prepared by the locals. The Navy ships have arrived today to evacuate as many as they can.

The up to 1,000 tourists who have been trapped due to the landslides isolating Kaikoura , have been dining on fresh crayfish and seafood prepared by the locals. The Navy ships have arrived today to evacuate as many as they can.

See, clouds (or earthquakes) do have silver linings. ;)

Seriously though, it's great to read reports of the efforts of not only the Civil Defence and other official groups, but also of locals who are pitching in from all around the area to provide support and necessities. :)

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

See, clouds (or earthquakes) do have silver linings. ;)

Seriously though, it's great to read reports of the efforts of not only the Civil Defence and other official groups, but also of locals who are pitching in from all around the area to provide support and necessities. :)

and from Overseas....as well as the NZ Navy , Naval ships from Australia, USA, Canada,Japan and Singapore are on their way to help in the evacuation.

Family have managed to make contact with an elderly aunt who lives in Wellington and information from her is distressing. Difficult to sleep, constant tremors, stress and anxiety. Worrying about everyone on south island. On top of this she has had to contend with very heavy rain and flooding. Great to see international help on the way. Not much coverage in our local news media, getting more information on social media. Please keep our neighbours in your prayers.

Edited by happysnapper

The tremors being felt in Wellington are not being felt across the whole of the city. It appears that some areas are more susceptible than others. We are up in one of the higher suburbs and the smaller tremors we aren't feeling at all. We need something in the range of 5 to feel something. Lets hope we feel nothing going forward. Engineers are going through the city checking out buildings. One has been evacuated along with 9 of its neighbours. The experts are still deciding if it is safe to go back into this building to confirm its status. A number of other buildings have been declared off limits as well including the Defence Headquarters. The city still has not returned to normal with many shops and buildings still closed awaiting checking by Engineers. Flooding over the past couple of days has compounded the issue.

Senior politicians are today again in the Kaikoura area looking at the devastation. For some its their third appearance. One cant help but feel a little cynical that they are looking for photo ops with the military personnel who are actually doing something.

A horrific scenario popped up this morning and that is Are there any cars buried under the tons of rubble that has come down across the roads. If there are tourists there it maybe months before we find out for sure.