Oriana to the Arctic or Ventura to Canaries?

Delilah21

My husband is 70 in February, we want a cruise from Southampton. The only two on offer are Oriana to Norway and the Northern Lights in an outside cabin or Ventura to the Canaries in a deluxe balcony during half term week. We have only ever sailed on Arcadia which we love. We obviously would prefer an adult only ship. Would Ventura be teeming with children at this time? My husband is a bit put off visiting the Arctic because of the cold. Any advice?

We have done the Arctic and it was spectacular but very cold obviously. We have also done the Canaries and it was fine and we had a lovely time. The one that stands out between the two is the Arctic one - (also no children if you want it to be quieter.)

Ventura will be teeming with children I'm afraid. We've been on Azure in holiday times - it's..... busy.😵

Ask yourself these questions:

How many people do you know who (a) have seen the Arctic (b) been there at that time of the year, or © seen the Northern Lights? And how many have been to the Canaries? 😕

Plus would you ever choose to do such a cruise?

I know what I'd do.........

Sent from my Sony Z1 Compact.

Can you stretch to 35 nights for fares from £1999?? I too will be 70 in February and we hope to join Oceana for 35 nights to Caribbean including partial transit of the Panama Canal.....there won't be many children on board and missing school for five weeks!!!

We have already done two 35 night Transatlantics and loved them both.....weather is excellent at that time of year!

I rate Oriana to the Northern Lights as one of my top two cruises ever! Fabulous and not cold with the right clothing! Reindeer and husky sledging in the snow, gathering round a roaring log fire in a Sami laarvu listening to stories about their way of life, the ice hotel, driving past frozen waterfalls and the magical Aurora Borealis itself. What better way to celebrate a special birthday?

Edited by Host Sharon

I have to say Oriana at over £3300 for 12 nights in a Balcony in Feb is just silly pricing. Sure the scenery will be excellent but the short days and cold will cut a lot of enjoyment from that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 70 th is in Feb also and husband and I are doing the canaries on the Ventura. I am sure the Norway one will be very different but after a cold Scottish winter I am looking for some sun. I can't see that there will be that many children on a cruise that leaves on the 21st when half term ends on the 17th!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Half term is only 1 week the Ventura cruise 12/14 leaving on the 21st. So not that many children.

I would tend towards going south. Unless seeing the northern lights is on your bucket list.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed for the first time with P&O this year, on the Oriana, "In Search of the Northern Lights". I loved it. Norway is beautiful, we saw the Northern Lights twice from the deck of the ship and I liked the ship.

In October this year I sailed with Royal Caribbean to the Canaries. A great cruise - but I have to say Norway was special - great scenery, great trips.

Enjoy whichever you choose