MSC v. NCL

Sissaaaaaa

Looking for opinions from those who have sailed MSC as well as the larger ships of NCL (Epic, Getaway, and Escape). How is the nightlife on MSC? Does it compare to NCL? This would be a 21st birthday celebration with a group of friends all around the same age, so nightlife is important. Second, how does the food on MSC compare to NCL?

Thanks

Looking for opinions from those who have sailed MSC as well as the larger ships of NCL (Epic, Getaway, and Escape). How is the nightlife on MSC? Does it compare to NCL? This would be a 21st birthday celebration with a group of friends all around the same age, so nightlife is important. Second, how does the food on MSC compare to NCL?

Thanks

Stay with NCL. There is different night life and different crowd on MSC.

I cruised with NCL once, on the Epic and would never touch them again.

This opinion is on the basis that they are so different from MSC, which has a product offering I love. I find MSC's service and food far better with more comfortable and spacious cabins.

Sure the theatre shows on NCL might be better, but that was just about the only aspect of our 'Epic failure' of a cruise we enjoyed.

If you can get a NCL cruise for anything close to the price of an MSC cruise, it would be a no brainer. But, MSC offers the best value at the moment. NCL has better food, entertainment and service. MSC ships are prettier though. Jmho!

The cost isn't an issue. I just wanted to try something new, but not after reading these posts. I don't think it would be a good fit for us.

I've sailed on both breakaway and getaway and also on the divina in both YC and non-YC. I could never, in good consciousness, recommend the divina for your group especially since you mentioned cost is not an issue.

I'm assuming as a 21st birthday celebration your group is quite active? The divina is much more subdued than the away ships. No rock climbing wall, no ropes course, no zip line, and I've read that you actually need to power yourself down the "slide" since it has very little slope. Completely different than the drop-floor-capsule free fall slides on the away ships (that even a 50 year old gal loves).

When it comes to nightlife; I'd bet your group really enjoys the comedy club, howl at the moon, and bliss? Yea, not going to happen on divina. Nothing even close. And 24 hour sit down restaurant serving bar food in a pub setting like O'Sheahans is absent too.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed divina- she is a beautiful ship that provided me two entirely restful vacations; but I would not choose Divina over the Away class for a group cruise with friends my age, let alone 20 somethings :).

Have fun wherever you decide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BermudaBound2014 is exactly right. I've been on NCL several times and loved all those things you mentioned. I also love MSC but my 21 yr hard core dance party days are behind me. There is a much longer recovery time these days.

I think they will like NCL or Carnival better.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Thanks

Hi Sissaaaaaa,

There are a number of differences between the two lines. I am Platinum on NCL and have taken two cruises with MSC and am taking a third with MSC in three months. I would agree with most of the previous posters, that as 21 year olds, you may prefer NCL over MSC.

While on NCL, you will notice that the crowd is mostly American or Canadian and of varying ages, The last time I was on MSC, the crowd was predominantly 40-50 and came from Europe, Latin America and the US. A majority of the folks on the ship were Spanish speaking.

MSC shows each evening are more of a themed variety show. The shows include singers, dancers and acrobats. So one night you may have a theme of Pirates with various types of acts, and the next night the same types of acts, but with Michael Jackson theme. One thing that MSC does, is that they also have trained opera singer on their ships and do an Opera Matinee during their cruises.

NCL shows are more themed based, so one night you may have a comedian, while the next night you may have singing and dancing of Broadway tunes and then the next night you may have a Cirque de Soleil type of show.

I just got off the Gem a couple of weeks ago and I was really impressed at how good the food in the main dining rooms had become. (It was hard to get into the specialty restaurants as most passengers had the dining had made reservations prior to boarding the ship.) My one criticism with NCL food is that their desserts tend to be somewhat bland.

I was last on the Divina in May of 2014 and food was just OK. There were no dishes I would specifically recommend. I will give MSC credit for the food in Eataly, one of their specialty restaurants, the food was superb.

One major difference between NCL and MSC are their drink packages. I usually purchase the Unlimited Beverage Package (UBP). NCL limits the value of the drink to 15.00. If the drink you choose is more than 15.00, you will end up paying the difference between the price and the 15.00 plus a gratuity as well. The UBP does not include anything other than drinks. Things in your cabin's mini bar are not included in the UBP. Oh, and bottled water is NOT included in the UBP, bottled water is a different package.

On MSC if you choose their All Inclusive Premium Beverage Package, MSC does not put a price limit on the cost of the drink or the brand (top shelf) of liquor used. For example, when I was last on the Divina, the cost of a Johnny Walker Blue shot was $22.00, which was included. When I asked for a double, the bartenders or waitresses did not bat an eye and brought me my $44.00 drink. This packet also includes coffee drinks, juices, bottled water, soda pop, ice cream, gelato, etc. Also included in the package are pastries from their Italian Bakery along with the items in your mini bar.

Hopefully the head to head comparison for these few items may help you in your decision making process.

Regards,

Edited by gmhohio

I am also Platinum on NCL and Carnival. I have only sailed MSC once and that was on the Poesia in 2011. I sailed with my sister who enjoys the same type of vacation as I.....reading book after book....so we had an okay time. I remember thinking the food choices/hours were very limited. They didn't even offer an evening buffet...you HAD to go to the dining room if you wanted diner. At the time, we said we would never take our families on MSC, but if the price was right, we (sister and I)would go again. (Our families like LOTS of entertainment....we just like to sit and read:))

Now, fast forward 6 years and I am preparing to take my family on the Divina. Why...simple, price won. I am paying for 7 passengers and I came across great balcony rates and couldn't pass it up. I am very hopeful that MSC has tried to cater to the American crowd. We sail at the end of January and I will be reporting back on our experience.

However, in October we completed an 11 day cruise on NCL and it was pretty perfect...........I am going with low expectations and hoping like heck they exceed them!

Kim