Powdered Eggs

khewston

Does Carnival use powdered eggs to make omelets?

I'm not sure if they use a liquid egg product or not. They don't use powdered eggs for the omelettes, though. The omelettes aren't bad.

They will do fried eggs at the omelette station...those are real :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very few places use powdered eggs these days, not even the military. What is generally used on cruise ships is "pasteurized egg product", which is eggs taken from the shells, homogenized, and a stabilizer added to keep the yolk and white from separating, and then pasteurized. It comes in gallon containers. What many folks consider to be the "sign" of powdered eggs is the water that forms in the serving pan, but in fact this is caused by heating the eggs too quickly and to too hot a temperature, and any egg will display this.

Very few places use powdered eggs these days, not even the military. What is generally used on cruise ships is "pasteurized egg product", which is eggs taken from the shells, homogenized, and a stabilizer added to keep the yolk and white from separating, and then pasteurized. It comes in gallon containers. What many folks consider to be the "sign" of powdered eggs is the water that forms in the serving pan, but in fact this is caused by heating the eggs too quickly and to too hot a temperature, and any egg will display this.

Very well explained! Thank you!

Thanks for the explanation. I was imagining before how the ship will stock those big volume of fresh eggs and still manage its shelf life. Powdered egg was my guess before your post.

In August, on the Miracle, I asked if the eggs used for the omelets were the same as the eggs on the buffet. The answer was yes. I then asked him to scramble me some fresh eggs and no problem! He did this every time I went to the omelet station.

In August, on the Miracle, I asked if the eggs used for the omelets were the same as the eggs on the buffet. The answer was yes. I then asked him to scramble me some fresh eggs and no problem! He did this every time I went to the omelet station.

Sorry, but he did not tell you the truth. They use real eggs in the omelet station, but not in the buffet. We did the Behind the Scenes tour and I asked the chef directly and he said it is baked liquid egg, which gives it the weird texture and bland taste. The volume of eggs they do in the buffet could not be done in pans or on flat tops.

You are always a wealth of information, always enjoy your posts, thank you!

Is there anything about anything you don't know? :)

Eggs of all things! :eek:

Sorry, but he did not tell you the truth. They use real eggs in the omelet station, but not in the buffet. We did the Behind the Scenes tour and I asked the chef directly and he said it is baked liquid egg, which gives it the weird texture and bland taste. The volume of eggs they do in the buffet could not be done in pans or on flat tops.

Ditto on this. Any large buffets including cruise ships will use pre cracked (liquid eggs) for scrambled egg options. They come in 2 ballon plastic bladders, that are easily accessible for the crews to cook. Like mentioned, during the process of cooking they use commercial steamers to cook these serving dishes of liquid eggs... sometimes making the texture to some unappealing.

Omlett stations can use these eggs (liquid eggs) but usually use fresh in shell eggs for presentation.

Also hard boiled eggs are always pre done. They are shipped 24 to a bag and vacuumed sealed for freshness.

The scrambled eggs on any buffet are just plain, ick!! What is that taste/flavor anyway? I even order over easy eggs at the sea day brunch because I don't want to have those "other" eggs served to me. Nothing better than the steak and real eggs at sea day brunch, yum yum. Can't wait until my next cruise.

I seriously like powdered eggs ,and its a source of frustration that I cant access them at home. Glutinous, jelly-like substance, that seriously compliments deep fried American bacon, with a dash of tabasco and a bagel. Mmmh Mmhh.

Use Egg Beaters, it's the same stuff.:)