Little Information About Jewel

horsing around

DH and I are 9 days away embarking on a 14 day Panama Canal cruise on Jewel. It seems there's less info and comments about this NCL ship. Could mean "no news is good news". Just wondering.

We literally just disembarked from Jewel this morning. Do you have any specific questions? We had an AMAZING week!

DH and I are 9 days away embarking on a 14 day Panama Canal cruise on Jewel. It seems there's less info and comments about this NCL ship. Could mean "no news is good news". Just wondering.

I've cruised twice on the Jewel and love it. The Great Outdoors aft of the buffet is a great place for viewing the canal procedure since you can walk from port to starboard without leaving the area.

Also, deck 7's Promenade you can cut through the atrium from starboard to port side of ship. There is so much to see on both sides. The Spinnaker high above in the bow also allows viewing on either side. Since the canal is an all day transit, try all three places at various times.

Edited by NMLady

Enjoy! That's a wonderful cruise!

We've been on the Jewel this year and last year. She's a good ship. No complaints. She was in dry dock in 2014 when she got some of the newer restaurants and some of the touch screen kiosks. She is not scheduled to undergo her Norwegian Edge refurbishment until 2018.

We were on the Jewel last December (Mexican Riviera) and in February will be doing Panama Canal on her with same itinerary as you are doing. We really enjoy the Jewel and her sister ship Pearl and are looking forward to our cruise.

If you haven't already done so check out youtube for a number of videos on both the ship and Panama Canal transits. Here is one comprehensive Jewel ship tour to get you started

Have a wonderful cruise !

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I wonder if I may jump into this thread and ask my own questions about Jewel? I hear she is 'dated' does this mean in a generally good condition but with a few worn edges? And are these worn areas in the public areas or also in cabins? What sort of things we talking about?

We are contemplating a very long cruise on her next year and I would not want to be on a ship for that long if it was in a poor condition.

We have not done NCL before, and mostly the bigger newer ships, but also a few older ones, so we are not snobs in that sense. Just need a bit of reassurance (or otherwise!) before committing to what would be a trip of a lifetime for us.

Many thanks.

Hello. I wonder if I may jump into this thread and ask my own questions about Jewel? I hear she is 'dated' does this mean in a generally good condition but with a few worn edges? And are these worn areas in the public areas or also in cabins? What sort of things we talking about? We are contemplating a very long cruise on her next year and I would not want to be on a ship for that long if it was in a poor condition. We have not done NCL before, and mostly the bigger newer ships, but also a few older ones, so we are not snobs in that sense. Just need a bit of reassurance (or otherwise!) before committing to what would be a trip of a lifetime for us. Many thanks.

The Jewel was last in dry dock in May 2014. She got an O'Shean's grill and a Mojito Bar; She also got new furniture, wall coverings, art work, LED lighting, carpets, and flooring. Since her dry dock, we sailed on the Jewel in 2015 and 2016 and enjoyed both cruises. Two years of normal wear since her last dry dock, not really noticeable.

Edited by BirdTravels

The Jewel was last in dry dock in May 2014. She got an O'Shean's grill and a Mojito Bar; She also got new furniture, wall coverings, art work, LED lighting, carpets, and flooring. Since her dry dock, we sailed on the Jewel in 2015 and 2016 and enjoyed both cruises. Two years of normal wear since her last dry dock, not really noticeable.

Excellent, thank you very much. :)

Is she an easily navigable ship? most of the cabins left are either fore or aft, and I need to be fairly close to the dining room (dodgy knees), so would that be nearer aft? Or are there plenty of dining options around the ship?

Excellent, thank you very much. :)

Is she an easily navigable ship? most of the cabins left are either fore or aft, and I need to be fairly close to the dining room (dodgy knees), so would that be nearer aft? Or are there plenty of dining options around the ship?

NCL's Jewel class ships are easily navigable. There are three sets of elevator banks, and imho the public spaces are laid out well. The larger MDR (Tsar's Palace) is in the stern, and the smaller MDR (Azura) is more midships. The buffet spans the rear half of Deck 12. Specialty dining venues are located in different places.

You might want to have a look on the deck plans, here:

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/jewel/deck-plans

Did she get new furniture in the staterooms? Somehow, I thought not, that she still has the old dated stuff in the cabins. I'll be aboard in a month and will find out for sure....

NCL's Jewel class ships are easily navigable. There are three sets of elevator banks, and imho the public spaces are laid out well. The larger MDR (Tsar's Palace) is in the stern, and the smaller MDR (Azura) is more midships. The buffet spans the rear half of Deck 12. Specialty dining venues are located in different places.

You might want to have a look on the deck plans, here:

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/jewel/deck-plans

Thanks, I have already, but it's always better to get first hand knowledge form someone who has sailed on a particular ship :)

We did the Panama Canal on the Jewel. The Jewel is our second favorite ship. You will enjoy that size. To me, it is a pretty close to perfect ship.

We'll be on the Jewel for our first Panama Canal cruise next month! Our favorite ship, though, is the Celebrity Silhouette. While I like the size of NCL's Jewel class ships, and they are comfortable, and we enjoy freestyle dining, Celebrity's S-class ships are stunningly beautiful. And while they are larger than NCL's Jewel class ships, they really are well designed and you just don't feel the crowds as you might expect.