Am I cutting it too close?

Jae351

(Humor On)

You need to fly into the airport you are leaving the cruise from at least one week before the cruise. I mean, what if the flights are cancelled for 6 days before the cruise? Or perhaps you should purchase a condo next to the port and live there for one month before the cruise.

(humor off)

Look, a vast majority of cruisers arrive at the airport the day of the cruise. Millions of people do it without issue every single day. While some prefer to fly in the day before, it is most certainly not required in order to make it to your cruise.

I had tablemates from Canada who did come down a week early to enjoy Florida sunshine and friends were supposed to join them three days before cruising. The friends never made it because the airport was socked in by fog for three days.

I had tablemates from Canada who did come down a week early to enjoy Florida sunshine and friends were supposed to join them three days before cruising. The friends never made it because the airport was socked in by fog for three days.

goodness, long range weather forecasts would be required.

I would not do this.

Fly in the day before the cruise. To much risk if you fly in the day of the cruise. Can things go wrong to cause you to miss the cruise? Yes.

You will likely have to board 90 minutes before the cruise.

That means 3:00 PM.

Keith

Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions!

I wish our travel agent would have mentioned the 90 minute cut off, that was news to me. Luckily we bought the insurance!

Personally, I would question your TA for not recommending you fly out the day before or thinking this was even a good idea.

OP. You may want to look closely at your insurance. Some do not work unless you are delayed for specific reasons or a flight delay of only an hour or so doesn't count. Personally would see what the TA could do in terms of perhaps paying part or all the change fee. They really did give you poor advice and should not have booked you so close. Not sure where you are flying from, but delays are pretty frequent - crew, mechanical, weather (including lightening) - even just getting off the plane, luggage, traffic, etc.

To the OP- You mentioned it will cost $600 to change your flight. What will it cost if you missed the ship? Assuming you all have passports & the cruise line allows you to meet the ship at the first port, you'd need hotel, meals, flights, etc. While you say you have insurance generally you claim after the fact, so you would be out of pocket until the claim is paid less any deductible. Good luck!

To the OP- You mentioned it will cost $600 to change your flight. What will it cost if you missed the ship? Assuming you all have passports & the cruise line allows you to meet the ship at the first port, you'd need hotel, meals, flights, etc. While you say you have insurance generally you claim after the fact, so you would be out of pocket until the claim is paid less any deductible. Good luck!

The fact that the OP has asked the question shows that they are nervous about the timing, as most people have not given any reassurance of having plenty of time, perhaps they will make changes or even just make sure there is a contingency plan.

After some research and realizing that the change fee will be $200 per ticket... I have to risk it it. Its just too expensive to pay $600 in change fees.

This line actually gets to the heart of the matter. It's not just the OP that needs to hear this discussion. What we have is someone who, and not casting aspersions, bought the ticket first and THEN had the questions about time.

By providing information, rather than just opinions, we can hopefully educate not just the OP, but readers at large. And, hopefully people will realize the advantage (in this case, a $600 advantage) of asking the questions first (for information) rather than later (for reassurance).

We are on a direct flight in March, to answer a few of your questions. Direct flights offer less risk but it is still uncomfortably close.
Just as a note to all. A "direct" flight is NOT the same thing as a "non-stop" flight. It only means that it is all on one flight number. There can be multiple stops, and even changes of aircraft along the way. Both "direct" and "non-stop" are terms of art in the airline world and have different, though complementary, meanings. This can be significant when seeing the word "direct" on a website or hearing that from an agent.
Luckily we bought the insurance!

And of course, insurance does NOT mean you will get to your cruise. It doesn't mean that you will meet the ship at the next port. It doesn't even mean that you'll get another seat on a different flight. What it will do is compensate you for the ACTUAL financial losses (not lost vacation time or enjoyment) you incur due to the COVERED incident. Many people think that "insurance" will guarantee their vacation, when all it will do is reimburse you for your actual expenses, to the limits of the policy and only for the items covered by the specific terms and conditions of your policy.

I hope the OP makes their ship. I also hope that this can be a learning experience for those who weren't aware of some things.

After some research and realizing that the change fee will be $200 per ticket... I have to risk it it. Its just too expensive to pay $600 in change fees.

This is our first ever cruise. RC Harmony of the Seas. We are on a direct flight in March, to answer a few of your questions. Direct flights offer less risk but it is still uncomfortably close.

I wish our travel agent would have mentioned the 90 minute cut off, that was news to me. Luckily we bought the insurance!

Read the small print of insurance. Make sure the flight delay is covered, also mechanical/electrical issues - not all insurances cover late flights.

I had booked a flight on the wrong date, totally botched my travel dates. It was much cheaper to book another flight with another carrier than pay change fees. Fortunatly I was able to get the mistake flight fare into future credit , it wasnt 100% but its better than a total loss. Another thing is to call the airlines and tug on the right persons heart strings, its amazing what buttons humans can press where computer cant.

Just a note that OP already replied back here a few days ago, and is going to risk this flight. Post #43:

This is our first ever cruise. RC Harmony of the Seas. We are on a direct flight in March, to answer a few of your questions. Direct flights offer less risk but it is still uncomfortably close.