recent broken foot and going on a cruise-need advice

Nanny8

Hi everyone.

I broke my foot about 6 weeks ago and just had my cast removed (6 weeks non-weight bearing). I am now on another 2 weeks non weight bearing and then gradual weight bearing with crutches.

My concern is that I am leaving for a 7 day cruise in 4 weeks and originally my ortho told me I would be able to walk well by mid December. Now he has changed his mind (although my injury did not worsen) and says I will be limited. I'm not sure if anyone has experience in this area but I'm wondering if I should make arrangements to have a wheelchair just in case.

I have bad shoulders (am also recovering from bi-lateral frozen shoulder) and crutches are not my friend.

We have booked a couple of tours but my hubby is worried that an extra walking may be too hard on my foot.

We usually try to walk about 10 miles a day while cruising (keeps the weight gain down lol) but I have managed my expectations for this cruise, realizing that I won't be able to walk very much at all by cruise time.

One of our out-trips is an ATV rental (with hubby driving and me as passenger and we're wondering if we should modify that as well.

Any advice would be very helpful.

It's not like it's very newly broken but given that I am only allowed to begin weight bearing (with crutches) two weeks before the cruise, I'm worried that I may need to be more prepared for having crutches on the cruise.

Thanks in advance

One thing to consider is buying or renting a knee roller like this: http://www.carelinemedical.com/Knee-Walkers-2/Generation-2-Weil-Knee-WalkerBurgandy/?gclid=CNLCouXjstACFYIkgQodkjAOlA

This is not an endorsement of this company, it is just to give you an idea.

My surgeon prescribed it after a fracture and my insurance company covered it.

Edited by cruzzzinma

I don't know what the rude person's problem was, but I understand your question.

I, too had a broken foot before a cruise and we actually bought a foldable, portable wheelchair to take with us.

You might want to check with ship's services to see if you can get one onboard.

We had to cancel one of our excursions, because it wasnt wheelchair friendly, but other than that, my husband pushed me around and we managed quite nicely. Harder on him than it was on me!

Good luck and have fun!

I cruised, with doctor's permission, with my foot in a cast. I had a mobility scooter and easily navigated both the airport, and pre-cruise hotel, then had absolutely no problem getting around the ship. Was unable to put any weight on the foot during the whole time. I did not have a handicapped room and it was tight getting the scooter into the toom but I managed. I went to the spa to take showers since there wee seats in the showers there. Highly recommend a scooter.

So much walking on a cruise ship- especially on an S-class ship! I would certainly look into a wheelchair or scooter so that you don't damage your foot.

I have a torn tendon in my ankle and have an aft cabin on our upcoming cruise, so I'm bringing a tensor bandage and sensible shoes to try to keep the swelling down.

Get well soon and enjoy your cruise!

Cheers,

One thing to consider is buying or renting a knee roller like this: http://www.carelinemedical.com/Knee-Walkers-2/Generation-2-Weil-Knee-WalkerBurgandy/?gclid=CNLCouXjstACFYIkgQodkjAOlA

This is not an endorsement of this company, it is just to give you an idea.

My surgeon prescribed it after a fracture and my insurance company covered it.

Nanny8,

This is excellent advice! I have not cruised with a broken foot, but have broken my foot twice. The first time i was in college, and the above device was a lifesaver. My campus was really spread out! Fortunately for me, I only had 2 back to back classes that I had to hightail it too. This miracle device really helped with the long distances between buildings. It's nice because it has three wheels, so it is very stable. If I needed a break, I could sit on the pad. It does do a number on your good leg! But I'm guessing by the time you cruise, your good leg will really be in tip top shape!

I would maybe cancel the ATV tour, just in case. Make this cruise all about relaxation!

I was able to figure out you were not seeking medical advice!:D Not sure why it is so hard for some to realize this isn't why you posted. Don't let the cranky people on her dissuade you from posting questions. This really is a great community, full of great advice!

Have a wonderful cruise!

I'd look into less active excursions...ones where u are driven or sit at a beach or other nice location....rather than active adventures that involve climbing, hiking, biking or touring museums..gardens etc..with alot of walking.

..Also avoid tenders that can be hard to board and be very careful on the walkways off the ship...some can be very slippery and set up at odd angles.

After I had surgery, I went on a cruise a month later .(Royal C Radiance class ship) I was limited to what I could do & enjoyed taking the little tram trains in several ports and non walking activities on shore.. We had a stateroom close to the main elevators which helped . Used the elevators,and took things slower.Enjoyed the spa, hot tubs etc.

Also packed lighter to avoid having to struggle with luggage.

Hope it works out...can be done.

A few years ago my wife and I were on a Celebrity cruise while she recovered from a surgically repaired broken ankle. I had arranged for her to have a scooter on board, a walker when off ship and excursions by car service-she couldn't get up the steps of a tour bus. Worked well because we got to see only what we wanted to see and not what or as long as the guide wanted.

Glenn:cool:

I don't think I would cancel the ATV excursion. Depending on getting to there and back, you will be riding. You might miss some of the sights by not being able to walk to see things but could enjoy the view from on the ATV. Read reviews from the excursion and then decide what you think you can handle. As long as you can keep up with the others, go and enjoy.

I'd arrange to rent a wheelchair to pick up at the dock. Not sure where you are leaving from...but vendors are at many ports. Then you'll have it for when you want to take it easy. I developed tendinitis in my patellar tendon and had to rent a chair for our 3-week cruise. It allowed me to do some things that otherwise would have been impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Have you checked with your insurance company they are happy for you to cruise? The answer will probably be yes but worth while to check now rather than have a problem if you did slip or fall on the ship....

If you can cancel your pre booked excursions without charge I would do so and then look again nearer the time based on what you can 'comfortably' do. The important thing post breakages is to slowly and unstressfully build up muscle strength....you may find short morning excursions with some, but limited walking, followed by pool afternoons benefit you more on this cruise.

Sincere best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

You have multiple options.

You can rent a mobility scooter for your time on the cruise. There are even companies that will bring it to the ship and be there to take it back when you disembark.

You can also rent a manual or motorized chair locally and bring it n board yourself. .

You can get a wheel chat from Celebrity, however for off the ship (in port) they give you a very heavy clunky hard to push version. Unless you have a youngish strong person to push, it's a problem. On board they will give you a light weight chair. You can call ahead (in fact you must) to make arrangements. Call back often to confirm. Their land line customer service {all departments} is less than efficient. Also, with the shoulder problem, this may not work well for you.

I most certainly would advise you not to go on an ATV. If you can't put your full weight on your foot, it risky {even irresponsible}to engage in that activity. Remember, if something happens, you impact everyone traveling with you and you will be responsible for handling the situation yourself.

Try and have an enjoyable cruise despite the temporary limitations.

Edited by Fish Lover

I just completed a cruise with a scooter for the first time due to a hip injury. It was a foldable travel scooter and it gave me terrific independence on and off the ship. My DH could go do his thing and I could go off to my activities. He didn't have to push me around in a wheelchair all the time. Although I wasn't crazy about having to use a scooter, I can't imagine how I would have been able to enjoy the cruise without it. That was my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We usually try to walk about 10 miles a day while cruising (keeps the weight gain down lol) but I have managed my expectations for this cruise, realizing that I won't be able to walk very much at all by cruise time.

I used a knee roller when I broke my foot and I didn't put on any weight. I sped up and down the Las Vegas strip! One of my friends commented on how I had kept my weight down after my injury as many people put on weight. I was very active with my knee roller! I would fly through the mall and grocery stores. If you used one on board the ship, you would get lots of exercise. Not sure how you would do off the ship. You do have to be careful about the surfaces you roll over. Don't want to go head over heels hitting a crack in the pavement (which I heard can happen).

When I broke my foot, three weeks later I went on a Disney Cruise. Fortunately I had just had my cast removed, but I wasn't allowed to put any weight on my foot. It was quite an ordeal getting me on board the airplane because we had to board from the ground and up the steps into the plane. A big, hefty man had to pull me up the steps! Thank goodness I hadn't put on any extra weight!

It was only a three night cruise so I opted to stay on board when my family members got off the ship to explore. It was a very short cruise. On board the ship I decided to rent an electric scooter which was very convenient. I could have used my knee scooter, but taking a break from it was nice, too.

Edited by Kmangel

Have you checked with your insurance company they are happy for you to cruise? The answer will probably be yes but worth while to check now rather than have a problem if you did slip or fall on the ship....

If you can cancel your pre booked excursions without charge I would do so and then look again nearer the time based on what you can 'comfortably' do. The important thing post breakages is to slowly and unstressfully build up muscle strength....you may find short morning excursions with some, but limited walking, followed by pool afternoons benefit you more on this cruise.

Sincere best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

This is also an excellent point, Thanks for the reminder to do that. Our insurance company states that my condition must be stable so I will have the doctor give me a letter if that is the case.

You have multiple options.

You can rent a mobility scooter for your time on the cruise. There are even companies that will bring it to the ship and be there to take it back when you disembark.

You can also rent a manual or motorized chair locally and bring it n board yourself. .

You can get a wheel chat from Celebrity, however for off the ship (in port) they give you a very heavy clunky hard to push version. Unless you have a youngish strong person to push, it's a problem. On board they will give you a light weight chair. You can call ahead (in fact you must) to make arrangements. Call back often to confirm. Their land line customer service {all departments} is less than efficient. Also, with the shoulder problem, this may not work well for you.

I most certainly would advise you not to go on an ATV. If you can't put your full weight on your foot, it risky {even irresponsible}to engage in that activity. Remember, if something happens, you impact everyone traveling with you and you will be responsible for handling the situation yourself.

Try and have an enjoyable cruise despite the temporary limitations.

This is good to know about the different wheelchair styles. My hubby is fit enough to help me with the wheelchair if I require it however given that the temps may be quite warm in the Caribbean it may make his day uncomfortable.

I appreciate the head's up Thanks so much

If you have excursions with others, I would cancel them since you will have mobility issues. You don't want to hold people up.

We have one excursion with others so I'm going to check with the tour operator and see what his thoughts are on the mobility situation. The ATV is actually just us renting one on our own so that we can go at our own speed and go to stops that mobility won't be an issue. We had decided on this even before I got the bad news yesterday about continued non-weight bearing.

It looks like my hubby is leaning towards trying to rent a car on the others stops so that we can just drive around and enjoy.

I'm so appreciative of all the advice.

I just completed a cruise with a scooter for the first time due to a hip injury. It was a foldable travel scooter and it gave me terrific independence on and off the ship. My DH could go do his thing and I could go off to my activities. He didn't have to push me around in a wheelchair all the time. Although I wasn't crazy about having to use a scooter, I can't imagine how I would have been able to enjoy the cruise without it. That was my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is this scooter you are talking about the same as the knee roller? I am currently using a knee roller (because crutches are very unsteady and bad shoulders). I find it good but as others have said, you can't really use it well on pavement or rough surfaces (it's very tippy). In my head I'm thinking what you are talking about it a four wheel type walker with a seat but I'm not sure. Just wanting to clarify. Thanks so much

Last Thanksgiving we did a cruise 5 weeks post foot fracture. Had 4 more weeks to go and was non weigh-bearing. DH reserved a wheel chair day I had the fall. Subsequently, I bought a knee roller similar to what was in link from Cruzzinma. I used both, but far and away enjoyed the knee roller. As another poster said, I felt like I got plenty of exercise using it rather than being pushed and feeling so much more handicapped. One of the biggest reasons I enjoyed my knee roller, and it was a life lesson at same time, I was on eye level with others rather then " beneath" them. Interesting experience both ways. Another really SILLY observation was the looks on faces of other cruisers when elevator door opens and they see either the wheel chair or the knee roller which takes up HALF THE SPACE in the elevator. Plus half the time I was only moving 1 floor. Big lesson in patience for others in future experiences. Make sure knee roller has basket though most do, bought a cheap backpack to slide over handle bars and I was almost self-sufficient. We did have a handicapped room which did help with showering and storage of both devises. Some evenings I let DH push me to dinner because I was really tired from all the miles I logged during the day. I broke my right foot, my dominant side, so I became much strionger for the experience. Was a Carribbean Cruise so we did no excursions. Went out in Falmouth on knee scooter but returned to ship quickly as pavers everywhere and hard to steer knee roller over that kind of surface. Another observation, knee roller fun conversation piece, wheel chair not at all.

We have one excursion with others so I'm going to check with the tour operator and see what his thoughts are on the mobility situation. The ATV is actually just us renting one on our own so that we can go at our own speed and go to stops that mobility won't be an issue. We had decided on this even before I got the bad news yesterday about continued non-weight bearing.

It looks like my hubby is leaning towards trying to rent a car on the others stops so that we can just drive around and enjoy.

I'm so appreciative of all the advice.

I only mention that because we toured with one person who recently had a knee replacement. They couldn't keep up with the rest of the group as they wanted to stop and rest every 5 minutes. Europe is not mobility or ADA friendly.

I spent many weeks in the 15-16 school year using a knee scooter after an ankle injury. There are two kinds - the standard kind and the kind made to go off road. The off-road kind has larger tires that have some traction on wet pavement and can handle pavers and uneven pavement.

For a cruise I would try to get an accessible room and rent a mobility scooter. DD used a regular WC a couple of years ago, and we wished she had a scooter.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I'm expecting to enjoy the cruise with or without the mobility issues. I've determined that I can still swim (in the pool) and that I can enjoy the much needed rest and relaxation and sun.

I'm likely going to be bringing a knee-scooter (as recommended by many of you) just in case my foot gets too tired from trying to walk with crutches.

I just knew someone on these boards who have had a similar experience and would be able to offer some suggestions.

Thank you all.

I went on a cruise shortly after I had a rod inserted in broken leg(femur).Could not weight bear.Suggest you contact cruise customer service.get the info for the companies they use for the electric scooters.It is a private company-but they are at the ship and they will deliver the scooter to your cabin.Works great and when you leave they pick up from cabin.Also tell cruise you need pier assist because of your mobility issue-they will assist you onboard.