Spam on Roll calls or am I paranoid?

Hi All,

Recently I have noticed that quite a few new people have joined the various (3) roll calls I am involved in. They are all different people but they all have one thing in common.

They seem to be Junior cruisers, and they all join with the same line and have no or very few previous posts.

Hi Everyone! I am sailing on this cruise and looking forward to chatting with all of you!

They then either never post again or ask one very generic question and then never post again.

I think it is too much of a coincidence that they all say the same line exactly and therefore think these are spam.

I think if you see this on your roll call they are likely to be gleaning info of all the people on the rollcall for marketing or some other reason possibly more sinister.

Am I being too paranoid?

cheers Mic :D

Edited by MicCanberra

Hi All,

Recently I have noticed that quite a few new people have joined the various (3) roll calls I am involved in. They are all different people but they all have one thing in common.

They seem to be Junior cruisers, and they all join with the same line and have no or very few previous posts.

They then either never post again or ask one very generic question and then never post again.

I think it is too much of a coincidence that they all say the same line exactly and therefore think these are spam.

I think if you see this on your roll call they are likely to be gleaning info of all the people on the rollcall for marketing or some other reason possibly more sinister.

Am I being too paranoid?

It could be the same person, but please consider that if they want to glean information from the rollcall, they don't have to post anything at all.

It could be the same person, but please consider that if they want to glean information from the rollcall, they don't have to post anything at all.

Not necessarily, if that roll call has separate spread sheets and such that are set up only for the people on the roll call.

Hi All,

Am I being too paranoid?

Mic, there have been a few on our rollcall that have said similar and posted once......for the life of me I can't work out why people join a rollcall then you never see them again:confused:

If you don't want to discuss the cruise or attend a Meet n Greet, don't join:rolleyes:

Mic, there have been a few on our rollcall that have said similar and posted once......for the life of me I can't work out why people join a rollcall then you never see them again:confused:

If you don't want to discuss the cruise or attend a Meet n Greet, don't join:rolleyes:

I am sure it is a spam posting. perhaps a computer generated program that just posts and gleans info.

I noticed that a while ago and reported it as spam :o, but heard nothing and it still seems to be happening. It might be a computer generated post when someone new joins CC...??

Perhaps one of these members could let us know by posting here.

Hi All,

Am I being too paranoid?

This post has just arrived on the Sea Princess World Cruise 2017:eek::mad::mad:

Just saying, some people may initially join, sit back watch the chat and decide no this is not for me. I guess the next step is to let the roll call know of this decision.

The first thing we do when we get to our cabin is remove the name tag. Our cabin, Our sanctuary . We also do it for other reasons.

We simply cannot believe the personal information given by cruisers, pre-cruise on roll- calls.

Edited by mrs and mrs

Just saying, some people may initially join, sit back watch the chat and decide no this is not for me. I guess the next step is to let the roll call know of this decision.

The first thing we do when we get to our cabin is remove the name tag. Our cabin, Our sanctuary . We also do it for other reasons.

We simply cannot believe the personal information given by cruisers, pre-cruise on roll- calls.

Fair enough, what ever suits.

Our last couple of Princess cruises had no name tags front of the cabin, fine with us too.

Also agree with the personal info given.........not sure why people offer surnames and cabins numbers......if I need them for tours I get them via email.

Edited by cheznandy

I agree with your reasoning and with not wanting too much info out there which is why I was slightly worried about what looks like spambot posts or spamware of some sort.

Fair enough, what ever suits.

Our last couple of Princess cruises had no name tags front of the cabin, fine with us too.

Also agree with the personal info given.........not sure why people offer surnames and cabins numbers......if I need them for tours I get them via email.

I agree, some of the roll call spreadsheets have so much detail about all sorts of stuff, most of which is not required.

Then you have also given out your email address,to the world?

I really think that PM- personal message feature would be better but of course its not activated on CC, not sure why?

I really think that PM- personal message feature would be better but of course its not activated on CC, not sure why?

I guess i have;)

Yes, wish they had PM's

Yes.. there is one on my roll call..

I just blotted out the name in case we shouldn't post their names.

Also at least two on my next major cruise: "

Hi Everyone! I am sailing on this cruise and looking forward to chatting with all of you! "

Interestingly one of their post count shows "0" so I guess cc has given the big ban, though oddly their post remains. The other shows the 1.

The person on our Rollcall replied....

"I'm Capps and just joined CruiseCritic. Since all I've done on the site is click on the rollcall button for the trip, this must be the default message that the website automatically inserts. If the same message appears regularly with different user names, that's the likely reason"

interesting if it is something new on CC??

I keep an email link on my signature which is primarily for roll call threads and excursions organised. It would be much easier to pm members, as I'm sure many don't subscribe to their roll call thread. That can be frustrating.

Sure I get some junk mail (whether my address has been gleaned from this website I'm not sure), but there's a button that solves the problem.