LIVE - Harmony 11/26 - 12/3 Sailing the Eastern Caribbean

MrsKC08

Yes, Royal does offer a three, four and five night dining package which is cheaper than if you book the restaurants separately.

Lynn & Ken

Thank you. I'm happy to hear they offered it for Harmony. We are big fans of the specialty restaurants.

I am loving your review!

Thank you for the great information! I will be sailing on the Harmony of the Seas in early May and am looking forward to it despite some mixed reviews about this ship/crew.

Is there any way that you might be able to post the prices for the Specialty restaurants (not as part of a package if possible as I may like to go to one or two) as I can't seem to get a straight answer from RCL.

Could you please tell me what the official embarkation times to get back on the ship on a port day are/were? On Oasis last yr I liked to be back 1 hr before departure but others say 30 min is fine. I think that is cutting it too close. What is the ship's policy on this?

Have you been to any Cruise Directer/event staff events yet? i.e The Quest, Love and Marriage Show etc? If so, were they any good? If not these; do they have something similar? (loved the Quest last time on Oasis-highly recommended).

Thanks very much

Thank you for the great information! I will be sailing on the Harmony of the Seas in early May and am looking forward to it despite some mixed reviews about this ship/crew.

Is there any way that you might be able to post the prices for the Specialty restaurants (not as part of a package if possible as I may like to go to one or two) as I can't seem to get a straight answer from RCL.

Could you please tell me what the official embarkation times to get back on the ship on a port day are/were? On Oasis last yr I liked to be back 1 hr before departure but others say 30 min is fine. I think that is cutting it too close. What is the ship's policy on this?

Have you been to any Cruise Directer/event staff events yet? i.e The Quest, Love and Marriage Show etc? If so, were they any good? If not these; do they have something similar? (loved the Quest last time on Oasis-highly recommended).

Thanks very much

I'll respond to this now as I'm waiting for dinner time.

I haven't seen a posting of specialty restaurant prices online or in the Compass. I can tell you that Chops was $42 per person and that Sabor is alacarte and both of our meals there were $16, which we think is pretty great!

Johnny Rockets is $6.95 per person I believe, but since we are staying in a boardwalk balcony, we get our meal there for free (we plan on doing lunch there tomorrow).

I can also tell you that you will see the prices of the restaurants in your cruise planner when that opens up for your sailing. I know they offered a discount for dining prior to our cruise, but they don't offer a discount this cruise for booking a restaurant the first or second night!

Last night they had a 50s-60s dance party in studio B at 11:30 last night that we attended. We actually were one of the three Twist winner couples.

Tonight is the Quest game show and we hope to catch it but we have a comedy show reservation at 10:30 so we might miss the first part of Quest.

We do like the CD Abe, but he is no Richard Spacey!

We do hope they have the Love and Marriage show but it hasn't occurred yet!

I am editing this now to add information about the recommended time to be back on board from ports. They require 30 minutes prior to departure, but like you we would prefer to be back on at least an hour before sail away!

Lynn & Ken

Edited by MrsKC08

Yesterday was...

82de4be584185c7a0873990dd50944d6.jpg

Originally our plan was to not get off the boat, but we did get off for a little while and walk around. The ship docks in Crown Bay and not Havensight. It's been quite a while since we have docked there and not have things changed at Crown Bay. Of course we saw many of these...

12b862a5bd1e09e0b3e2a3456aa4cc59.jpg

We took a taxi ($4 per person) to town. We spent some time walking around the straw market and some shops on Main St. we've been here many times and didn't need to buy anything. We have a jeweler here, Charlie at Imperial Jewelers, and they are fantastic. We've been doing business with him for over 15 years, and no matter how long it's been between visits, he still remembers us...by name!

This time we didn't stop in because we were not in the jewelry shopping frame of mind this trip.

There were only 5 ships in St Thomas but surprisingly it didn't seem overly crowded.

We returned to the ship by lunch time and ventured into the Windjammer. We figured that being a port day it wouldn't be so bad, and it wasn't. We had meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy and some turkey piccata, all was very good. I also had some salad and finished it off with some frozen yogurt.

Once our lunch had settled we found a couple of shady lounge chairs and enjoyed time in the pool and hot tub.

f5c931b5a64e1e2d664c750589c5e792.jpg

Lynn & Ken

We went back to the MDR last night for dinner. The time in St. Thomas is an hour ahead of ship time (eastern time) and many people who's cell phones or smart watches had changed to St. Thomas time and showed up to dinner an hour early!

One of my favorites was on the menu, the roasted garlic soup. Of course we also had Caesar salad and we both had the pork chop, but we asked for a baked potato instead of the sweet potato mash that comes with it. For dessert Ken had cheesecake and I had apple pie with vanilla ice cream. Sadly I have to say that it was probably the worst apple pie I've ever had.

After dinner we had reservations for the adult comedy show. The headliner was good, but the Royal Caribbean guy who came out first was hilarious! I believe his name was Simeon!

Immediately following the comedy show was Quest. Thankfully Studio B is right next door to the Attic which is where the comedy show is.

Quest was hilarious as always. Definitely not one to miss but also something children should not attend!!

This is where I think our cruise director shined! He was an awesome host!

fc884cb95a5b1e0152dcb990761b0a4e.jpg

https://vimeo.com/193724338

7d1301648d4ad4f7d52692dbd32f328c.jpg

Lynn & Ken

Johnny Rockets is $6.95 per person I believe, but since we are staying in a boardwalk balcony, we get our meal there for free (we plan on doing lunch there tomorrow).

Lynn & Ken

Hello MrsKC08! Thanks for all of the great information. We have a Harmony cruise coming up in a few weeks and my family booked two adjoining Boardwalk balcony suites. So, we will have two vouchers for free meals at Johnny Rockets. If you have the time, could you find out if the vouchers are good for lunch or dinner and if milkshakes are included. Thanks in advance!

Hello MrsKC08! Thanks for all of the great information. We have a Harmony cruise coming up in a few weeks and my family booked two adjoining Boardwalk balcony suites. So, we will have two vouchers for free meals at Johnny Rockets. If you have the time, could you find out if the vouchers are good for lunch or dinner and if milkshakes are included. Thanks in advance!

We are actually going to be going for lunch in a few. Since the price is the same for lunch and dinner I would venture to say it can be used either meal time. You will not have a voucher though, it will just be on your sea pass card like the other coupons. It does not include milkshakes, although if you are a gold or above level you will have buy one get one free milkshakes that you can use.

Lynn & Ken

We are actually going to be going for lunch in a few. Since the price is the same for lunch and dinner I would venture to say it can be used either meal time. You will not have a voucher though, it will just be on your sea pass card like the other coupons. It does not include milkshakes, although if you are a gold or above level you will have buy one get one free milkshakes that you can use.

Lynn & Ken

Awesome! Thank you so much!

Lynn & Ken

Correction on above... I assumed that the free meal would be on our sea pass, however we found out today that we should have had a letter in our stateroom on day 1 for our meal, but neither of us recalled seeing the letter. A trip to guest services fixed this as they printed the letter for us.

Lynn & Ken

Correction on above... I assumed that the free meal would be on our sea pass, however we found out today that we should have had a letter in our stateroom on day 1 for our meal, but neither of us recalled seeing the letter. A trip to guest services fixed this as they printed the letter for us.

Lynn & Ken

Thanks for the update. Were you cups for the soda package in your room upon arrival?

Thanks for the update. Were you cups for the soda package in your room upon arrival?

Yes they were, but we had already purchased drink packages so we knew we'd get those anyway. This is a relatively new promotion so all I can think is that our steward forgot to leave the letter in our cabin.

Lynn & Ken

Thanks for all the great info MrsKC08.

And for going out of your way to answer questions.

I'm traveling with 2 little kids in January, so I'm curious of any baby/toddler info you could gather. I realize you're not with kids, so no worries if it's not easy. I was wondering if they had a character breakfast I read about somewhere.

I've cruised many times before, but never with kids, so I have no idea what to expect! :eek:

Thanks again and enjoy your vacation!

Thanks for all the great info MrsKC08.

And for going out of your way to answer questions.

I'm traveling with 2 little kids in January, so I'm curious of any baby/toddler info you could gather. I realize you're not with kids, so no worries if it's not easy. I was wondering if they had a character breakfast I read about somewhere.

I've cruised many times before, but never with kids, so I have no idea what to expect! :eek:

Thanks again and enjoy your vacation!

Hi!

Thanks for joining in on my review. They do have the Character breakfast and you'll be able to book that in your cruise planner when your sailing opens up. I believe that it is $10. I'll see if I can round up any info listed at guest services.

Lynn & Ken

Whoa, I didn't think you could feel much on the big ships! I'm one of those people who get sick. :eek:

It's not bothering us, but I'm sure there are people who are feeling it. You can really feel it when walking around. To me, I'm just thinking it will rock me to sleep.

I heard one woman tonight say this was the rockiest cruise she has been on and Ken said that she must not have been on many cruises. I'm sure you would feel it even more on a smaller ship.

Lynn & Ken

Just checked NOAA for where Harmony's current position is. Looks like seas are in the 7-10 foot range with a crisp 20-25KT wind.

"ATLANTIC S OF 22N BETWEEN 65W AND 70W INCLUDING PUERTO RICO

TRENCH-

934 PM EST WED NOV 30 2016

.OVERNIGHT...NE TO E WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS 8 TO 10 FT IN NE TO

E SWELL."

We are onboard right now too, and I think it was actually $6.95 per person for lunch and dinner and that includes a soda if you do not already have the soda package and deserts. If you want to add a shake (which we did) it costs about $4 extra. We are only gold members, but the waitress said we have a buy one shake get one free so the $4 actually paid for both of our shakes.

We went here for dinner on the formal night because we do not like to dress up and we were able to go in shorts and a nice shirt with no problem. We were actually the only ones in the restaurant at 6pm since most people walked out once they heard there was a cover charge.

We personally thought the food was worth the cost, but the huge benefit was being able to get in when we wanted. This is the first cruise for us where almost every dining venue is booked by the first day of the cruise. I figured that once onboard a lot of reservations would open up, but that has not been the case. We are easy going people so it has not been a big deal, and we by no means have gone hungry. However, for those not as easy going, I can see a lot of future threads about how hard it is to get reservations and how that ruined the cruise.

The other thing to note is that when you book a dinner reservation anywhere the system blocks out 2 hours for dinner so if you want to book a show anytime in that 2 hour window it will not let you even if one ends and starts at the same time (if you have a 6pm dinner reservation your show must start after 8:01). Again, for us it has not been a huge problem, but I am sure others would not agree with us.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wouldn't say it ruined my cruise but it was disappointing when cruising last week that we had such a hard time booking speciality dining. Never had that issue before. I think and heard from the staff that the royal IQ app is part to blame. Sometimes it didn't show the dining we had planned and then one day it still showed one we had cancelled. I think people add the specialty dining then don't show. The hostess at 150 said they were keeping track of dining on an excel file separate from the app because it wasn't reliable. Also our internet went out one day. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just checked NOAA for where Harmony's current position is. Looks like seas are in the 7-10 foot range with a crisp 20-25KT wind.

"ATLANTIC S OF 22N BETWEEN 65W AND 70W INCLUDING PUERTO RICO

TRENCH-

934 PM EST WED NOV 30 2016

.OVERNIGHT...NE TO E WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS 8 TO 10 FT IN NE TO

E SWELL."

That's legit! No wonder they canceled the aqua show.