Zuiderdam Almost Live to the Panama Canal

Crew News

This "almost live" thread is for those who will follow us on the Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise and for those with questions that can be answered by HAL reps on board. The opinions and impressions expressed are my own and do not represent Holland America Line or other passengers.

Given this disclaimer,are you now woRking for HAL?

Feel free to pose questions and I will seek answers.

Check-in and boarding was uneventful. Being an early boarder, the Lido Market was nearly deserted.

As promised, I conducted a private tour for some members on our roll call to reacquaint myself and them with the Zuiderdam. With the exception of just a few furnishings changes, much is the same as the last time I sailed on the Zuiderdam. Although the new Lido Market concept has been implemented, the new induction-type serving line and the signage has not yet been implemented. The Zuiderdam will be heading for dry dock next year for refitting.

Unlike my cruises in the last year, there was a Neptune Suite reception with ship's officers in the Neptune Lounge. The current Captain insists on his crew meeting suites passengers. I had long discussions with the Culinary Operations Manager to arrange for menus collection and a long conversation about Dutch racing driver Arie Luyendyke. A lengthy conversation with the Hotel Director, Darren, covered many topics and confirmed that he does read CC to get the pulse of the members. As the reception attendees waned, there was a chance to talk with the Marketing representative where I learned about the new Navigator login screen with the Specialty Restaurant menus, your shipboard account, and personal itinerary. To access Joanie’s OBC share and purchases, she must login.

We were followed from FLL by seven other ships until at least midnight when I went to bed.

We have invited many fellow passengers to share our “fully covered” verandah while at the Panama Canal to escape the intense heat.

Observations:

Our stateroom has the new 220V coffee pot but it is placed in the center of the desk right beside the old TV. Fortunately, I needed to move it so that I would have room for my laptop. The TV channels have not changed as have those on the Nieuw Amsterdam last May. The DVD player is still present.

I did notice that the new Salad Stations were active. The salad bowls were the same color as those on the Nieuw Amsterdam but did not have the slanted style. The depth if bowls makes it difficult to eat everything inside with a fork. My DW, Joanie, loved the pepperoni pizza.

The ship still has the old Breakfast Menu cards and the old Room Service Menu.

There is new furniture on the verandahs and the wicker chair arms are now wooden ones.

Wheelchair pushers during boarding came from MDR wait staff.

Internet costs: $250 – 1000 minutes, $175 – 500 minutes, $100 – 250 minutes, $55 – 100 minutes. If you have the Explor4 200 free minutes, you must purchase 100 minutes and your account will be credited for the $55 cost. Purchase the next 100 in the same manner before purchasing further minutes.

More later.[/quote

]Thanks for the comments.

Roger, thank you again for the calendar. I have it hanging in my office as a wonderful reminder of our awesome voyage.

Lisa

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad you liked the calendar. I still have one left. Those two dueling cargo ship horns were really a highlight of the canal passage. I will have to post the video to my website some day so that others can test their speakers.