Zuiderdam Almost Live to the Panama Canal

Crew News

Crew News, you been told about hurricane Otto?

Obviously it's tooooo early for more data but it formed over by Panama and is going to be over Costa Rica etc Wed -Friday .. but I do admit that looking at the forecasts is confusing for me .

Maybe someone with more knowledge will help

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Crew News: what a wealth of information you provide for all. I know you enjoy doing this but I also know it's time consuming etc. Just wanted to say thanks for all you do.

Glad you're treated so well on the ship too and get quick access to what you need.

Say hi to the Mrs and enjoy the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for doing this. The level of detail you are providing is unbelievable.

This really caught my attention, having a kid who aspires to going to culinary school.

When I checked my watch and noted that I needed to go to the Kitchen Tour, the Dining Room Manager provided a tour just for me before the other tour started. I had the chance to talk with the head chef, see the new electronic ordering system, photograph the menu picture board, sample some crab cakes, and ask lots of questions. I did get a photograph of the raw President's cut 36-ounce rib eye steak. It was a memorable event for me to dig into the inner workings of the kitchen.

The Culinary Operations Manager, Ruben, who I met at the Suites Reception, has encouraged all of his staff to speak freely to me, assist me in whatever menus I need, and to know that I am one of the HAL family. It was a great day for me.

How did you manage that? The kid would be thrilled with this kind of experience on a cruise and I would love to arrange something similar. Any tips for accomplishing that, without appearing demanding or pushy?

Hey Summersigh! Steve & I were on the Eurodam with you and your hubby last year! I see you are taking the Panama Canal Sunfarer cruise this winter. We are on that cruise a week from tomorrow, Nov. 30! It would have been great to meet up with you again! Hope your Steve has had a good recovery!

Did he say if there were choices on the menu or do they just have lobster?

I guess you can disregard my question. I see you edited your original post after I posted to include the fact that you would be receiving a menu for the lobster shack. That would indicate that there will be choices. I will keep watching for when you post it. It will be so very helpful as we will be on HMC twice in April.

So looking forward to your report from Aruba which, along with Curaçao, is a favourite port. I certainly wish our upcoming Panama cruise included those two places instead of Cartagena, which is not one of my preferred stops.

Edited by sapper1

CrewsNews,

Since we did not get to the Fitness Center on the tour, I thought I would let everyone know what equipment is there:

• Treadmills
  • Ellipticals (2 have arms that move and 2 do not)
  • Recumbent Bikes (3)
  • Upright Bikes (3)
  • Concept2 Ergs/Rowing Machines (2)
  • 2 complete sets of dumbbells
  • Bar Bell Set
  • Various Weight Machines including a leg press, leg curl, leg extension, lat pull down, and a few others that I can't recall.
  • Stair Master

There is a cardio machine for an upper body workout. I will try to look at its name the next time I am up there.

Fitness Center is open 6am - 9pm and I saw signups for various classes like Pilates, Yoga, Boot Camp, Morning Stretch, etc.

Lisa

Hey Summersigh! Steve & I were on the Eurodam with you and your hubby last year! I see you are taking the Panama Canal Sunfarer cruise this winter. We are on that cruise a week from tomorrow, Nov. 30! It would have been great to meet up with you again! Hope your Steve has had a good recovery!

Take good care of ms Zuiderdam for us - we board for the Sunfarer as you disembark :) We'd have loved to have seen you again! As the Doc says about Steve ... "you're in good shape for the shape you're in" :D

Thanks for another great report Roger. Your effort and input has always been invaluable to all of us at CC. New Canaletto menu? Hoping for the better

If you do see Clifford please give him our best wishes- he is a great guy!

Enjoy the cruise and please give my best to Joanie.

I will be on the 12/11-21 Sunfarer on the Zeiderdam. Can you let me know who will be in the piano bar? Love the interaction in the HAL Piano bars and will miss it when they go to dueling pianos.

As promised, the Piano Player is Don Alexander.

Thanks for doing this. The level of detail you are providing is unbelievable.

This really caught my attention, having a kid who aspires to going to culinary school.

How did you manage that? The kid would be thrilled with this kind of experience on a cruise and I would love to arrange something similar. Any tips for accomplishing that, without appearing demanding or pushy?

If you are in a Neptune Suite, definitely go to the reception in the Neptune Lounge and find the Culinary Operations Manager. He is a Formula 1 racing fan and likes driver Arie Luyendyk who drove Indy Cars. Ruben is a great person and can make anything happen.

My tour was not out of the ordinary as it just preceded all of the others as we bypassed the groups being formed to take the tour. Nobody went out of their way just for me. Note that I did not ask for a tour but was offered by the Dining Room Manager who stopped by my MDR table the night before.

From the lips of the Nieuw Amsterdam Captain, "There is no such word as 'No' on this ship" and it's the same on this ship. It never hurts to ask especially when the crew asks what they can do to make your cruise better.:)

Last evening was Rock and Roll but not Heaven. In the vicinity of Hurricane Otto, the ship rolled from side to side with apparent 52 mph winds (according to my stateroom TV screen). Safety was found by going to bed early. When I awoke our verandah was very wet from rain.

Excursion: My day in Aruba was devoted to the Gems of Aruba, caves visit. The bus ride was very bumpy with a first stop at the Lourdes of Aruba Shrine for some cool pictures. A longer and bumpier bus ride took me to the first cave. Topped with a hard hat and with issued flashlight in hand, I entered the first cave and found that I had to stoop way over to walk inside the cave. The second cave required many steep steps to get inside and my knees encouraged me to bypass the second cave. We last stopped at a field of large rocks that had been tossed from the underwater volcanic action that formed the island of Aruba. Storm clouds formed but there was no rain and the day ended in bright sunshine.

For anyone taking pictures, the extreme change of temperature from the A/C bus to the outside fogged my lens for about five minutes. I learned to not be so eager to just taking pictures for about five miutes after leaving the A/C. I have a heater for my cameras while on board to avoid this.

I mistakenly went to the movie theater tonight and found myself 30 minutes early. From the nearly deserted theater, I just took my popcorn back to the room.

As I type this, there is a sail-away party underway at the indoor pool. No food is being served.

From my kitchen tour, here is what I learned. There is an electronic ordering system where the handwritten orders are entered and appear on a screen above the plate assembly stations. Above each station, there is a photograph of what each plate must look like and all of the nutrition information for the meal. This means that if you are tracking your sodium, fat, calories, etc. it is available by just asking.

Joanie had the white tablecloth dining and all courses were delivered at once at the exact minute requested. Nobody remained to serve the meal and the dishes were removed ten minutes after she requested.

Room Service is exceptional and food temperatures (measured with my infrared thermometer) were as appropriate. It must be noted that our stateroom is no more than three minutes from the kitchen unlike those farther forward.

Scanning of the new MDR wine menu, new Canaletto menu (I will post a comparison here when time permits), On Locations, and dining menus. All should be posted to my website within a week of my return.

Joanie's is now addicted to the dark chocolate truffles in the Neptune Lounge and expects me to fulfill my Concierge responsibilities of delivering them in a timely manner.

On the food side: Bread pudding comes in two flavors: regular and raisin, and is available at the end of the entree line. Since I will probably remain on board most of the Curacao Day, I will do a thorough review of the Lido Market lunch sandwiches availability. Lido Market table squatters are still a problem it seems. The same folks are occupying the same table for hours as I witnessed during my frequent visits. For those who remember my ice cream sprinkles reports, I am avoiding ice cream this cruise and will not be reporting on their availability.

A/C is great so far and keeping curtains closed at the canal will keep it so.

Problems encountered: Phones needed to be reprogrammed so that buttons dialed the correct per-programmed numbers, flickering light bulbs, and a loose verandah door handle. All were repaired within one hour of reporting.

To those who have wished us well, Joanie and I thank you all.

Following your posts with great interest, as we board the Zuiderdam next Wednesday for the 11 day.

If you run into the Culinary Operations Manager again, ask if they are planning a Chefs or Sommelier dinner on the Nov. 30th cruise. We have done them in the past, and have been hoping that there might be one on this cruise.

We will of course inquire in the Neptune lounge as we board.

Thanks very much.

Following your posts with great interest, as we board the Zuiderdam next Wednesday for the 11 day.

If you run into the Culinary Operations Manager again, ask if they are planning a Chefs or Sommelier dinner on the Nov. 30th cruise. We have done them in the past, and have been hoping that there might be one on this cruise.

Thanks very much.

I will find out for you.

Thanks very much.

There will be both a Cellar Master and Master Chefs Table this cruise but neither are currently on the schedule for next week. Last cruise neither were available. I will keep checking for you as the cruise continues.

There will be both a Cellar Master and Master Chefs Table this cruise but neither are currently on the schedule for next week. Last cruise neither were available. I will keep checking for you as the cruise continues.

Wow, both on one 10 day, surprising.

The Neptune folk once told me only on 11 day or longer cruises.

Usually up to how busy the Chef feels that week.

Thanks for asking.

Sail well!

Don't eat to much Turkey, always save room for PIE

Edited by Yankee Couple

Thank you so much for increasing your font size. It makes reading your report so much easier.

Thanks also for trying to get the answer to the Lobster Shack menu question.

Would you mind asking Clifford if he will by chance be on the NA in April? It would be great if he were.

I would like to know that, too. Love sailing with Clifford and we have spent many hilarious evenings with him in the PG and at the Oasis on HMC. If you don't get an answer here I'll dig out his email address and hope he checks when in port. However, I'm thinking he could be off on leave by then.

Found out at dinner tonight that there is a new menu for Butler Service at HMC. We are the first cruise on the Zuiderdam to get it. We didn't realize it was new when we had the service, but I will try to get the menu when we are at the Pinnacle tomorrow for lunch. It is a 5 course menu for the lunch now.

Lisa

Curacao Day began in bright sunshine and warm temperatures. Breakfast on the verandah was delivered on time and included an extra yogurt parfait to be held in the minibar for an evening snack.

Unlike my two previous stops here in Curacao, the Zuiderdam docked before the entrance to the harbor. With such a long distance to downtown, I opted to remain on board. The quiet day allowed me to catch up on scanning and a trip to the Screening Room for the latest Star Trek movie. I did not like the movie editing or the lack of story line continuity. The popcorn was good and the seats amazing.

My afternoon chicken wings appetizer found their way into the minibar and will be consumed with a nice salad during our sea day tomorrow.

Lots of tooting as we pulled away from the pier.

Thanksgiving dinner was memorable and began with the full-scale decorations at the MDR entrance (carvings, ice sculpture, and arranged gourds. My table was adorned with sparkly, Autumn leaves, and a colorful gourd. Six large slices of alternating white and dark turkey meat were leaned against mounds of mild sage dressing and mashed potatoes. Two thick slices of glazed sweet potatoes, two Brussels sprout halves, a glazed carrot, and cranberry sauce. Both the gravy and dressing contained giblet pieces. Each fork of food brought a commingling of savory flavors and brought back memories of childhood Thanksgiving meals. The chocolate and pecan chips pie was not dense and the crust was quite flaky. My Mother could not have prepared a better meal.

I now have all of the Lido and MDR menus for both 10 and 11-day Caribbean cruises in the Caribbean. The Gala Night menus are the same for the 7-Day cruises, I was told. In addition, I have the Lido Vegan/Vegetarian daily menus.

The front bow on Deck 4 has been opened for both the Aruba and Curacao ports.

In discussion with the Dining Room Manager, I learned that a Master Chef's Dinner is indeed planned for the next cruise pending enough interest.

Of special note is the decent internet speed. The right people/contract must have been fired.

Tomorrow is a sea day and my cooking class. Unlike previous cruises to the canal, there is no Panama buns cooking demo scheduled.

More later.

Edited by Crew News