Zuiderdam Almost Live to the Panama Canal

Crew News

Crew News - thanks for posting the On Locations and menus so quickly - they actually answered most of my questions ....... except ..... did you get any info on whether the "Elite" beverage package can be upgraded to from the signature, even if the signature was a promo (Explore4 for example)? There seems to be no set answer to this and calling HAL yeilded a blank - the agents there told me there is no Elite beverage package ....

It might be so new that it has yet to migrate to all of the fleet.

Crew News - thanks for posting the On Locations and menus so quickly - they actually answered most of my questions ....... except ..... did you get any info on whether the "Elite" beverage package can be upgraded to from the signature' date=' even if the signature was a promo (Explore4 for example)? There seems to be no set answer to this and calling HAL yeilded a blank - the agents there told me there is no Elite beverage package ....[/quote']

It might be so new that it has yet to migrate to all of the fleet.

I saw both packages listed in the "On Location" so just wondered if you had gotten any insight as I know this has been asked on multiple threads. You have so many inside connections :D

As always thanks for the quick response and for everything you have done to help your fellow cruisers!

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

I saw both packages listed in the "On Location" so just wondered if you had gotten any insight as I know this has been asked on multiple threads. You have so many inside connections :D

As always thanks for the quick response and for everything you have done to help your fellow cruisers!

My connections are only while on board. Our HAL PCC for the past 8+ years might be a good option and I will ask her.

Hi Crew News! Thank you again for the live report. I certainly appreciate all your hard work.

I think I remember you saying that you were also going to ask for the 7-day menus for the Caribbean. Were you able to get them? I'm trying to decide which night to do Tamarind on our upcoming Eurodam cruise and would love to see which night be most suitable.

Hi Crew News! Thank you again for the live report. I certainly appreciate all your hard work.

I think I remember you saying that you were also going to ask for the 7-day menus for the Caribbean. Were you able to get them? I'm trying to decide which night to do Tamarind on our upcoming Eurodam cruise and would love to see which night be most suitable.

I did ask the Culinary Operations Manager and he reported that they did not have them on board.

It does appear that GALA Night menus and the last night MDR menus are probably the same for all Caribbean cruises.

I did ask the Culinary Operations Manager and he reported that they did not have them on board.

It does appear that GALA Night menus and the last night MDR menus are probably the same for all Caribbean cruises.

Ah, darn. Well, I'll work with what I can!

Is there any chance that you can reopen the old 2015 7-day Caribbean menus? I see the links on the dining page but they don't work.

Ah, darn. Well, I'll work with what I can!

Is there any chance that you can reopen the old 2015 7-day Caribbean menus? I see the links on the dining page but they don't work.

Thanks for noting my page error. In updating links at midnight, some changes were overlooked. I have already deleted the menus for the Caribbean for 2015 since they change every season. If you really want to see them, I will search my PC for them and repost them for a week or two on my website.

Thanks for noting my page error. In updating links at midnight, some changes were overlooked. I have already deleted the menus for the Caribbean for 2015 since they change every season. If you really want to see them, I will search my PC for them and repost them for a week or two on my website.

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing the seven day menus.

Crew News - thanks for posting the On Locations and menus so quickly - they actually answered most of my questions ....... except ..... did you get any info on whether the "Elite" beverage package can be upgraded to from the signature, even if the signature was a promo (Explore4 for example)? There seems to be no set answer to this and calling HAL yeilded a blank - the agents there told me there is no Elite beverage package ....

We upgraded on Westerdam with no problem. Server told us there is an "Upgrade Beverage Package" option on the screens now. I believe it was about $9 per day per person.

Pinnacle Bar server asked us if we'd like to upgrade our Beverage Package to Elite when he brought our drinks on embarkation day.

Edited by frankc98376

We upgraded on Westerdam with no problem. Server told us there is an "Upgrade Beverage Package" option on the screens now. I believe it was about $9 per day per person.

Pinnacle Bar server asked us if we'd like to upgrade our Beverage Package to Elite when he brought our drinks on embarkation day.

Thanks for the info - very encouraging for my trip next fall. For us main reason to pay the upgrade is better access to a wider variety of wines by the glass, both during the day and at dinner.

Nah, don't worry about relocating them if they've been deleted. I seem to recall that I cross-referenced some from last year and the year before and the changes were pretty minimal so I doubt there's enough difference to worry about. Did you feel like there were drastic changes from the last time you'd sailed on a 10 day?

I'll just flip a coin on my Tamarind reservation. Night 3 and 4 always seem to be a bit 'hit or miss' for us.

The last evening's dinners do look a lot nicer compared to the previous International Nights. Hopefully they use the new menus for the 7-night cruise.

Nah, don't worry about relocating them if they've been deleted. I seem to recall that I cross-referenced some from last year and the year before and the changes were pretty minimal so I doubt there's enough difference to worry about. Did you feel like there were drastic changes from the last time you'd sailed on a 10 day?

I'll just flip a coin on my Tamarind reservation. Night 3 and 4 always seem to be a bit 'hit or miss' for us.

The last evening's dinners do look a lot nicer compared to the previous International Nights. Hopefully they use the new menus for the 7-night cruise.

Thanks for withdrawing your request. If you complete my website Contact Form, I will email the 7-Day menus that I find.

I started to compare the 2014/15 and 2016/17 10-day menus and got a headache. Comparing the 7-day and 10-day menus kept the headache going. My comparisons were abandoned.

Somewhere, HAL has a Master Menu for each season. A remote chance but maybe my HAL PCC has the right connection to locate it for me. I got lucky once getting the 7-Day (Series A and B) menus, 10-Day, and 11-Day menus. This year was not a lucky one in getting all the menus I wanted.

It is my understanding that ALL HAL ship now use the same last-day menu

Thanks for withdrawing your request. If you complete my website Contact Form, I will email the 7-Day menus that I find.

I started to compare the 2014/15 and 2016/17 10-day menus and got a headache. Comparing the 7-day and 10-day menus kept the headache going. My comparisons were abandoned.

Somewhere, HAL has a Master Menu for each season. A remote chance but maybe my HAL PCC has the right connection to locate it for me. I got lucky once getting the 7-Day (Series A and B) menus, 10-Day, and 11-Day menus. This year was not a lucky one in getting all the menus I wanted.

It is my understanding that ALL HAL ship now use the same last-day menu

Oh goodness! No headaches, please! It was just a quick observation I made between some other menus I'd located.

I'm actually on my cruise starting next weekend so I'll find out soon enough. I'll see if I can get a hold of those 7-day menus then assuming I remember to drop a flash drive into my bag.

Hi Crew News,

Thank you for taking the time to bring us with you!

Did you happen to get pictures of your room on this trip? We are in the "other" best room on the ship in January :-)

Thanks again !

I will post them once I convert them from RAW format in the next couple of weeks.

We were in 5190. One of the two best staterooms on the ship for verandah dining in spite of the weather.

Thank you glad to read your review we are in 5191 in March for the 10 day panama cruise. Looking forward to it after reading your review!!

Jerry, can you tell me about the Explorer's lounge? when viewing youtube videos of the Vista class, I was pleased to see this particular area on HAL. It seemed very reminiscent of the Seabourn Square concept my husband and I like so much. Sort of a living room for the ship, with a coffee bar, library, seating areas. Someone just off the Oosterdam said this area was very much changed.

(I have been reading about the dismissal of the librarians, and the complete lack of a library on the Konigsdam.)

Jerry, can you tell me about the Explorer's lounge? when viewing youtube videos of the Vista class, I was pleased to see this particular area on HAL. It seemed very reminiscent of the Seabourn Square concept my husband and I like so much. Sort of a living room for the ship, with a coffee bar, library, seating areas. Someone just off the Oosterdam said this area was very much changed.

(I have been reading about the dismissal of the librarians, and the complete lack of a library on the Konigsdam.)

The ship has the Explorer's Lounge, and Explorations Café. They are two very different areas, unfortunately with very similar names.

Explorer's Lounge is more like the formal living room, where people sit and read or chat quietly during the day, and listen to light classical music (with drinks available) at night.

Explorations Café is more like the family room, and is the area you are describing. That is the area, on a different deck, in a different area of the ship, where one finds the library, coffee bar, and seating areas.

Roger, I've loved reading this thread and look forward to your pictures. Are you planning to do a "live" thread from the Noordam?

A live thread is my plan at least for the Noordam portion. Getting an internet connection from the subsequent Denali portion may be difficult.

The ship has the Explorer's Lounge, and Explorations Café. They are two very different areas, unfortunately with very similar names.

Explorer's Lounge is more like the formal living room, where people sit and read or chat quietly during the day, and listen to light classical music (with drinks available) at night.

Explorations Café is more like the family room, and is the area you are describing. That is the area, on a different deck, in a different area of the ship, where one finds the library, coffee bar, and seating areas.

Thank you Ruth. I obviously got them confused.

• 3 months later...
Thank you glad to read your review we are in 5191 in March for the 10 day panama cruise. Looking forward to it after reading your review!!

Kamac56, have you been on our roll call forum for the cruise recently and do you know about M&G? Please go to forum and let me know if you can join us!