Zuiderdam Almost Live to the Panama Canal

Crew News

Curacao Day began in bright sunshine and warm temperatures. Breakfast on the verandah was delivered on time and included an extra yogurt parfait to be held in the minibar for an evening snack.

Unlike my two previous stops here in Curacao, the Zuiderdam docked before the entrance to the harbor. With such a long distance to downtown, I opted to remain on board. The quiet day allowed me to catch up on scanning and a trip to the Screening Room for the latest Star Trek movie. I did not like the movie editing or the lack of story line continuity. The popcorn was good and the seats amazing.

My afternoon chicken wings appetizer found their way into the minibar and will be consumed with a nice salad during our sea day tomorrow.

Lots of tooting as we pulled away from the pier.

Thanksgiving dinner was memorable and began with the full-scale decorations at the MDR entrance (carvings, ice sculpture, and arranged gourds. My table was adorned with sparkly, Autumn leaves, and a colorful gourd. Six large slices of alternating white and dark turkey meat were leaned against mounds of mild sage dressing and mashed potatoes. Two thick slices of glazed sweet potatoes, two Brussels sprout halves, a glazed carrot, and cranberry sauce. Both the gravy and dressing contained giblet pieces. Each fork of food brought a commingling of savory flavors and brought back memories of childhood Thanksgiving meals. The chocolate and pecan chips pie was not dense and the crust was quite flaky. My Mother could not have prepared a better meal.

I now have all of the Lido and MDR menus for both 10 and 11-day Caribbean cruises in the Caribbean. The Gala Night menus are the same for the 7-Day cruises, I was told. In addition, I have the Lido Vegan/Vegetarian daily menus.

The front bow on Deck 4 has been opened for both the Aruba and Curacao ports.

In discussion with the Dining Room Manager, I learned that a Master Chef's Dinner is indeed planned for the next cruise pending enough interest.

Of special note is the decent internet speed. The right people/contract must have been fired.

Tomorrow is a sea day and my cooking class. Unlike previous cruises to the canal, there is no Panama buns cooking demo scheduled.

More later.

Thanks for your reports. We are on next PC cruise leaving 11-30. Definitely going to check on Master Chef's Dinner when get on board. Getting close now. Looking forward to your report on Canal transit day. We are staying on board and since DH is also into photography hope he can get some great pics.

Jane

Thanks for another great report Roger. Your effort and input has always been invaluable to all of us at CC. New Canaletto menu? Hoping for the better

If you do see Clifford please give him our best wishes- he is a great guy!

Enjoy the cruise and please give my best to Joanie.

Spoke with Clifford today after our cooking class. He regrets missing you in Mumbai but he was at sea. He emailed you but did not get a response.

I will be in the Canaletto tonight and will look for the new items. I will post the menu when I return home and more internet time/speed. If I get a chance I will compare and post the changes on this thread.

We're doing a tour on Curacao & wondering which pier is used for docking....the Mega Pier or Mathey Wharf.....our meeting directions give us directions for both.

TIA..

I don't know the answer you need. We have been to both ports in the past but this week we docked at the mega-pier.

Changes in the new Canaletto menu: Lost veal piccata, roasted pork loin, seabass, and limoncello creme dessert. New proscutto-wrapped tenderloin, lamb cutlets, branzino, portabella mushroom, cannoli desert, and almond lemon tart dessert.

I will post all of the new menus when have better internet access (although this is very decent this cruise for a change) and don't have to pay for time.

More later.

Another nice day at sea but with high humidity.

After breakfast on the verandah, I headed for my cooking class in the Culinary Arts Center. Esteban, PG chef, coaxed the class through seafood fritters, Cuban sloppy joes on plantain chips, and bananas foster dessert.

As the preparer of the plantain chips, I microwaved two plantains for two minutes to loosen the skin prior to peeling them. Each plantain was cut into fourths and fried to a golden brown. Esteban placed a wet towel on a large cutting board, placed one of the almost-wooden plantain logs on the wet towel, folded the towel over the plantain, placed another cutting board to form a plantain sandwich, and told me to stand on the cutting board. Placing the cutting boards on the floor, I then stood on the board to create a very thin, six-inch patty ready for another frying. What an interesting technique! When the chef turned to get a knife and Jordan, the Party Chef stepped away, we each violated the rules of the Culinary Arts Center and sneaked a bite of my freshly-salted plantain chip. The chip tasted just like French fries to all. As she surveyed our three completed dishes, Jordan pronounced us “Masters of Presentation”.

Dining on our recipes that were ultimately created by the PG staff, I met more CC members and another member of our roll call. Clifford was one of our waiters and we had the chance to discuss his future assignments.

I took the opportunity to compare the old and new Canaletto menus before dinner. The changes in the new Canaletto menu were removal of the veal piccata, roasted pork loin, seabass, and limoncello creme. Added were prosciutto-wrapped veal tenderloin, lamb cutlets, branzino, portabella mushroom, cannoli desert, and almond lemon tart dessert.

Dinner was at the Canaletto so I tried the new veal and liked the crispy prosciutto wrap. Dessert was the new cannoli desert (one chocolate-filled and one vanilla custard-filled) that proved to be a light ending to a very filling meal.

During dinner, the Dining Room Manager found me to let me know that the Christmas, New Years, and Lobster Shack menus were not yet received by the ship. The Half Moon Cay Lobster Shack menu will have only lobster and two sides when serving starts next cruise.

Due to a shortage of pastry chefs, there was no Panama buns demo today.

Le Cirque is tomorrow night and we will be there. For those interested, changes in the Le Cirque menu are the available wines.

Tomorrow we arrive in the Panama Canal breakwaters at 5:30 AM so it will be an early to rise day. Fortunately, we turn the clocks back and will gain an extra hour of sleep. The Lido Market begins serving at 6:00 AM but Room Service will not be changing their 6:00 AM regular hours. We will be hosting a number of fellow passengers under our covered verandah as we pass through the locks.

For those on Panama Canal 11-day cruises, Gala Nights are Day 03 and Day 10 per the MDR menus I have collected.

Rose and Glenn, Neptune Lounge Concierges, have been amazing as they make our minor issues their highest priorities. For those who follow on the Zuiderdam, you will be in very good hands. Joanie loves the chocolate truffles.

More later.

Edited by Crew News

Thanks for info on Gala nights on next sailing. Always like to know so can avoid specialty dinner reservations on those evenings. DH will be disappointed about loss of Veal Piccata but hope he loves the new Veal dish as well. Veal is his favorite and we always do Canaletto's couple of times. Have never done the Cooking Class, but plan on signing up when we get on-board. Sounds fun. Thanks again for keeping us informed.

Jane

Crew News,

Could you ask Rose if she was on the Westerdam in March 2015?

If so, this is the same lovely girl that I've had twice as my concierge, ..and hopefully again in Feb 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will ask her. She is very tall....nearly six feet.

You mentioned discussing Clifford's future assignment with him but you forgot to say where. I'm hoping so much that it is the NA for April. Can you share?

Oh, I do so hope he can, as I know you're not the only person interested in the information. Perhaps Crew News just missed your earlier post.

A drizzling start greeted us as at the Panama Canal breakwaters. In spite of the heavy clouds and rain, our fully covered verandah allowed is to eat breakfast outside. My minibar stash of yogurt parfaits came in handy when Room Service delivery of oatmeal was delayed for one hour. We did receive the Panama buns that we added to our Room Breakfast card. Being smaller in size and with a chewier dough, the buns were not quite up to what we have experienced on our previous canal cruise.

The eastern passage through the canal lacked any accompanying ship that would have made the views more dramatic. By the time we had traversed the locks, the weather had cleared and blue skies appeared. We anchored parallel with a Princess ship. Our aft stateroom allowed us to watch ships entering and leaving both canals.

Several CC members joined us for the return passage through the locks. I stretched out my hand and could almost touch the walls of the locks. We were fortunate to be followed by other cargo ships in both lanes. About half way through the locks both ships decided to blast away with their horns. My camera video captured the very loud sounds emitted from the two. After saving the audio track, I look forward to pushing the deafening sounds through my stereo system to shock the neighbors.

During the day, the movie theater showed two documentaries about the canal and helped me to snag a few bags of popcorn for late-night snacks.

The Lido Market served a Caribbean BBQ meal for dinner but I opted for prime rib in the MDR.

Tomorrow is Le Cirque Night for Joanie and I.

Monday evening will be our second Gala Night with surf and trump.

The clocks go back another hour which will make the 7:00 AM docking in Costa Rica tomorrow a bit more reasonable. With two sea days at the end of the cruise, there will be a chance to recover from the recent early morning dockings.

Miscellaneous: My eye caught two mysterious charges of $22.94 for the MDR that turned out to be wine tastings that I did not attend. Although my minibar was evacuated by the Room Steward a charge for a large bottle of water also appeared on my bill. The Concierge deleted the charges. Moral: it never hurts to check your account during each cruise before you receive the final bill on Disembarkation Day.

The ship internet connection remains decent, our Room Steward is efficient and accommodating for Joanie’s naps, food is fine, and the Culinary staff have provided the menus I have sought. Good cruise so far.

More later.

Edited by Crew News

Monday evening will be our second Gala Night with surf and trump.

[/size]

More later.

You certainly are being well fed on this cruise. It is making me very envious.

What exactly is surf and trump? Is it a new menu item or is the dining room making some sort of political statement? :D

I have found a friend who has Clifford's email and she will find out the answer to my question about where he is going next. I know you are very busy being very helpful to everyone and probably missed my request as you seem to be flooded with requests for information by so many people.

So---cancelling my request but will continue to enjoy the vicarious cruise to the Panama Canal. Only four more months to our own trip!! :D

We're doing a tour on Curacao & wondering which pier is used for docking....the Mega Pier or Mathey Wharf.....our meeting directions give us directions for both.

TIA..

We've been alternating however, for your particular voyage, we will be inside at Mathey next to the 'Havendienst' ferries

We've been alternating however, for your particular voyage, we will be inside at Mathey next to the 'Havendienst' ferries

Ok .... so for the Dec 11 sailing - Curacao should see us at the Mega Pier? :)

:)Copper10-8 ... will you still be aboard for that sailing?

Another day on this cruise began with a drizzling rain but breakfast was still possible on the verandah.

The rain continued on my excursion of the canals. Pictures of several sloths were possible as well as a number of birds. The second portion of the tour, after a lengthy bus ride, was a pass by a banana plantation that included a description of the banana production of Costa Rica. We encountered a significant traffic jam of trucks transporting the banana containers. It was impressive to see hundreds of Dole, Chiquita, and Del Monte cargo containers stacked near the banana port. Of note were all of the barred windows and barbed wire-topped fences on the houses/businesses so close to the cruise ship port. Our excursion guide advised us not to walk to this area if we are just wandering near the port.

Glenn from the Neptune Lounge delivered a Zuiderdam ship model with a note of apology for our reported technical issues (telephone button programming, light bulbs flashing, fuse box issue, and a loose door handle). All of the former were repaired within one hour after being reported. None were brought to the attention of the Neptune Lounge as complaints but just as technical issues.

Dinner was at Le Cirque where the Chateaubriand was amazing and Clifford provided his normal efficient service.

The Room Service Manager had a tray of exotic fruits delivered to our room, much to our surprise. I recognized the two bananas and a mini pineapple but the rest of the tray was a mystery to us. We will be working for the next two days to savor the contents of the gift tray.

The theater was filled but the popcorn was plentiful. The movie, “Central Intelligence” was the funniest movie I have ever watched. I highly recommend it.

As I gathered the paperwork place on the bed by our Room Steward, I was disappointed to see the, “turn clocks forward one hour” card.

I have not seen Rose from the Neptune Lounge lately but I still intended to ask her about the Westerdam.

More later.

Edited by Crew News

Crew News, first thanks for all the great information! Second have there been many enrichment/destination lectures on this sailing? If so what type and how often?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share :D

I will be posting all of the On Locations within one week of my return home so that you can locate any lectures/enrichment programs since I did not attend any of them.