Coffee Lovers

Sunseeker331

We’re sailing soon to these islands- St Thomas, St Martin, St Lucia, Dominica, Barbados. I want to bring home some coffee that’s native to the Caribbean. Other than Colombia, which has some great coffee, any suggestions on which of these islands I might find some tasty coffee beans or which brand is best?

we always look for Jamaican Blue Mountain but you need to make sure it is 100%( hint, it won't be the $12.99 bags!)

I'd just ask a few locals as you get off the ship, preferably security who do not have a vested interest in obtaining your money.

We’re sailing soon to these islands- St Thomas, St Martin, St Lucia, Dominica, Barbados. I want to bring home some coffee that’s native to the Caribbean. Other than Colombia, which has some great coffee, any suggestions on which of these islands I might find some tasty coffee beans or which brand is best?

None of these islands grow coffee that we would bother to drag home. You might do better to focus on other products such as spices.

Hank

Jamaica has it's own brands...but you can find them in stores in the states...not so much "grocery" stores, but places like Marshalls, Home Goods, etc....also Hawaiian coffees, and other Caribbean brands...

The coffee you find in those low-rent places like Marshalls, Home Goods, TJ Maxx, etc., is NOT 100% pure Jamaican, Hawaiian, etc. They are a blend of maybe 10% of those native beans combined with other beans from commodity growers. Not worth your money.

True locally-grown coffee will definitely cost you more than the $10-12 you would pay for the "fake" stuff at those stores. Be very vigilant when buying local - check those bags to be sure you are buying 100%!!!

The coffee you find in those low-rent places like Marshalls, Home Goods, TJ Maxx, etc., is NOT 100% pure Jamaican, Hawaiian, etc. They are a blend of maybe 10% of those native beans combined with other beans from commodity growers. Not worth your money.

True locally-grown coffee will definitely cost you more than the $10-12 you would pay for the "fake" stuff at those stores. Be very vigilant when buying local - check those bags to be sure you are buying 100%!!!

Real 100% Jamaican Blue can cost over $50 a pound. It is pretty easy to find in decent coffee shops and online. Personally, it is not my style since I prefer a stronger brew.....but must admit that it does have a wonderful taste...with a nice hint of sweetness.

One shocker about being in Jamaica is that a lot of the so-called Blue Mountain stuff they sell (especially near cruise ports) is far from the real thing. You might be lucky if even 10% is the real thing...blended with all kinds of cheaper beans.

Hank

None of these islands grow coffee that we would bother to drag home. You might do better to focus on other products such as spices.

Hank

Actually the Island of Dominica does (not to be confused with Dominican Republic )

We bought some local coffee beans & they were pretty good

Real 100% Jamaican Blue can cost over $50 a pound. It is pretty easy to find in decent coffee shops and online. Personally, it is not my style since I prefer a stronger brew.....but must admit that it does have a wonderful taste...with a nice hint of sweetness.

One shocker about being in Jamaica is that a lot of the so-called Blue Mountain stuff they sell (especially near cruise ports) is far from the real thing. You might be lucky if even 10% is the real thing...blended with all kinds of cheaper beans.

Hank

What's your stance on Kona? We do prefer that over JBM and we have friends stationed there so we can get it from the commissary on o'ahu via them at a good price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What's your stance on Kona? We do prefer that over JBM and we have friends stationed there so we can get it from the commissary on o'ahu via them at a good price.

I think real Kona is great! But my personal favorite beans are Yirgacheffe (from Ethiopia). Guess you could say I am a strong coffee freak.

Hank

Yes on 100% Kona. I'm a light-to-medium roast person. If I can find a buy on Kona Peaberry that doesn't send me into debt, I'm there...

I was also never big on JBM. Another place to look for some good coffee is Puerto Rico - some nice small crop stuff going on there.

I think real Kona is great! But my personal favorite beans are Yirgacheffe (from Ethiopia). Guess you could say I am a strong coffee freak.

Hank

Hank - if you want some organic, shade grown, fair trade Ethiopian coffee from the Yirgacheffe region, give the canister from Trader Joe's a try. Honestly. Medium dark roast. Of course you know this - buy the beans and grind at home. Never use the grinder at any market - you never know what someone ground just before you and how often that thing is cleaned out :eek:

Every once in awhile, Costco will carry 100% Kona in large bags and nicely priced. The trick is to be there when they've got it.

Right now, our "go to" coffee is Peet's Big Bang," which is a medium roast of primarily Ethiopian. In their home area of SF Bay Area, Peet's Big Bang can often be found as low as $8.00 for a 12 oz bag at most grocery stores.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

We like the med-dark roast coffees

we do have a few smaller roasters in our area so we can buy relatively fresh beans when we need to

I agree grind at home our coffee machine grinds & brews for each cup

If you find "Kicking Horse" coffee in your area the dark roasts are good

Every so often we do a cruise to Central America & buy bags of coffee beans along the route

found some nice one & some average ones but we enjoyed them all

Last trip we brought back about 12 bags they are gone now so we have to buy here at home :(

enjoy

Edited by LHT28

I work at the Polynesian resort in Disney and our kona 100% blend is freaking ridiculous!! Best coffee I've ever literally had. The managers actually have to lock it up in their office and it's super small bags but the price is outrageous

11/7/16 Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas

I work at the Polynesian resort in Disney and our kona 100% blend is freaking ridiculous!! Best coffee I've ever literally had. The managers actually have to lock it up in their office and it's super small bags but the price is outrageous

11/7/16 Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas

You do understand that "kona 100% blend" is an oxymoron, right? You can have 100% Kona OR Kona blend.

Oh - my one grocery store here does carry Kicking Horse... It's a little too dark for my taste. I used to smuggle back from Calgary some Cuban beans, though (the owner would mark the bag as something else for me ;) ).

Actually the Island of Dominica does (not to be confused with Dominican Republic )

We bought some local coffee beans & they were pretty good

What is the going price for a pound of beans on Dominica? It's one of our stops so I'd like to give it a try.

What is the going price for a pound of beans on Dominica? It's one of our stops so I'd like to give it a try.

I think it was about $8 or $10

We just buy 1 bag to try different ones where ever we stop

Usually we do not pay more than $12 except for the Jamaican coffee