Read this today - re: Fathom - Wondering if we could lose our deposit?

tbmrt

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/11/23/fathom-cruise-to-cease-sailings/94358740/

We have booked the Fathom trip to DR in May, 2017 so I was upset to read the above info today. Wondering if Fathom may decide to cancel these cruises sooner than the summer of 2017, resulting in our losing our deposit.

OR

Since DR cruises aren't as popular as Cuba, all Fathom cruises up to summer of 2017 could be changed to Cuba (much more expensive!)

Would appreciate input from CC friends on this.

Thanks.

Have a terrific Thanksgiving!

Edited by tbmrt
added

The only time I recall anyone losing their deposit was when Renaissance went bankrupt. Even then, many cruisers who had used a credit card for the deposit were able to dispute the charge and get their money refunded.

That isn't the situation in this instance. I wouldn't worry about it, and they can't make you go to Cuba or pay more than the original booked price.

Roz

A few years ago I had booked a T/A on MCO from Venice. When the line switched embarkation port to Northern Europe we cancelled and got a full refund without question. Any significant itinerary change should reasonably result in full refund as you are clearly not getting what was originally offered.

Sounds like they will just switch ship (if they get approval from Cuba )

I guess the social impact cruise idea was not as popular as they thought

People paying $ to go work in the DR might not have enough people to fill a ship weekly

If they cancel the cruise you should get a refund

You will probably hear from the cruise line in the near future

Edited by LHT28

The only time I recall anyone losing their deposit was when Renaissance went bankrupt. Even then, many cruisers who had used a credit card for the deposit were able to dispute the charge and get their money refunded.

That isn't the situation in this instance. I wouldn't worry about it, and they can't make you go to Cuba or pay more than the original booked price.

Roz

Incorrect info: The credit card company does not refund, they would get the money from Renaissance and therefore all deposits would be part of bankruptcy filing.

Why do you think a credit company would give a refund?

I'm a worrier...

Thanks for your posts

If there are no penalties for cancelling now then I would do it & book with a line going to where you want to go or fly for a land trip

Edited by LHT28

Incorrect info: The credit card company does not refund, they would get the money from Renaissance and therefore all deposits would be part of bankruptcy filing.

Because some of them do guarantee delivery and quality of the product. They certainly would not ordinarily act as intermediary for you as a creditor in a bankruptcy proceeding. If

I must have misunderstood what my friend told me when she didn't have to pay for the Renaissance deposit she put on her credit card. Forget I said anything. I'm obviously an idiot.

To the OP, depending on how you booked, contact the cruise line or your travel agent.

Roz

Roz may have read about Renaissance cruise passengers from the UK getting their money refunded if they paid with a credit card. That's a benefit of using a credit card for booking cruises in the UK.