Atlantis in Bahamas - Should I book through NCL?

I will be in Nassau on the 12/18 Breakaway Bahamas cruise. We really want to do Atlantis. The cost on NCL's website is $199 (ouch......). But I know this includes transportation and the guarantee that the ship won't leave without you.

I can book directly through Atlantis for $135. There will be 2 of us, so $270 total. How much is it to take a cab there? Is the amount saved worth the lack of the guarantee they won't leave without you?

We normally try to do things outside of NCL because of the price difference, but I'm not sure about this one.

So I went to the Atlantis website to play around with the prices and it says under the policy section for the Aquaventure Water Park Day Pass that "Bookings cancelled on or after 12/07/16 will incur a 100.0 % cancellation fee."

But when asking the chat person, she says that water park passes are nonrefundable and that statement is a mistake. Can anyone else confirm?

I will be in Nassau on the 12/18 Breakaway Bahamas cruise. We really want to do Atlantis. The cost on NCL's website is $199 (ouch......). But I know this includes transportation and the guarantee that the ship won't leave without you.

I can book directly through Atlantis for $135. There will be 2 of us, so $270 total. How much is it to take a cab there? Is the amount saved worth the lack of the guarantee they won't leave without you?

We normally try to do things outside of NCL because of the price difference, but I'm not sure about this one.

Just as an FYI, booking the ship excursion is not a guarantee that the ship won't leave without you. It's a guarantee that if you don't make the ship, they will get you to the next port. I'm sure that if you are on your way back and delayed somewhat, the ship will be aware and do their best to wait, but if there's a major road closure and the ship has to leave, it will still leave.

I think the ability to create you own schedule by itself is worth doing it on your own, then add in the cost savings. Just be cognizant of the time and don't cut getting back to the last minute. I've done many many ports independently and never run the risk of missing the ship.

Just as an FYI, booking the ship excursion is not a guarantee that the ship won't leave without you. It's a guarantee that if you don't make the ship, they will get you to the next port. I'm sure that if you are on your way back and delayed somewhat, the ship will be aware and do their best to wait, but if there's a major road closure and the ship has to leave, it will still leave.

I think the ability to create you own schedule by itself is worth doing it on your own, then add in the cost savings. Just be cognizant of the time and don't cut getting back to the last minute. I've done many many ports independently and never run the risk of missing the ship.

Ohhh, that's very interesting. I didn't realize that's how it worked.

And yeah, we are always extremely careful about getting back to the ship. If passenger all-aboard time is 5:30, we try to get back to the pier area 30-45 mins before.

Definitely do it on your own and not through the ship. Just grab a taxi and its very inexpensive and quick. If you are worried about pre-purchasing your tickets, you don't need to do it in advance. We never pre-purchase in case of any port cancellation or change and just go to the ticket counter and purchase that day. We are always in the park, have already gotten our locker and chairs, etc. and have usually been on a ride already way before the NCL tour even arrives at the park. Its much quicker to do on your own.

Definitely do it on your own and not through the ship. Just grab a taxi and its very inexpensive and quick. If you are worried about pre-purchasing your tickets, you don't need to do it in advance. We never pre-purchase in case of any port cancellation or change and just go to the ticket counter and purchase that day. We are always in the park, have already gotten our locker and chairs, etc. and have usually been on a ride already way before the NCL tour even arrives at the park. Its much quicker to do on your own.

Is it possible for the park to sell out? I'd hate to go to the park to buy tickets and have them turn us down. I mean, I doubt there will be that many people there where they stop selling tickets, but who knows. But actually, now that I'm thinking about it, if it's that crowded, we don't want to be there lol.

Is it possible for the park to sell out? I'd hate to go to the park to buy tickets and have them turn us down. I mean, I doubt there will be that many people there where they stop selling tickets, but who knows. But actually, now that I'm thinking about it, if it's that crowded, we don't want to be there lol.

There are blackout dates during busy times.

If this is a "must do" activity I would absolutely buy it ahead of time (on your own if cheaper). We were there in February and the park was sold out. People who showed up to buy passes at the gate were turned away.

Having said that we did not find the park crowded which surprised us. I guess the hotels were full but the guests were not all at the water park at the same time. But you never know, sold out could mean crowded.

If this is a "must do" activity I would absolutely buy it ahead of time (on your own if cheaper). We were there in February and the park was sold out. People who showed up to buy passes at the gate were turned away.

Having said that we did not find the park crowded which surprised us. I guess the hotels were full but the guests were not all at the water park at the same time. But you never know, sold out could mean crowded.

Oh wow. Thanks for that perspective. I think we'll go ahead and buy them ahead of time. Hopefully the ship actually stops there :P

I literally just came off the BA (Sunday), and bought the passes from Atlantis website. We were in port from 8 am to 6pm (2 boats were also in port w/us).

I bought the passes from the Atlantis website for $145/pp (Thanksgiving Day so it was a bit higher priced). Def. worth it vs booking with Norwegian. We left very early (like 8:30, after breakfast) and I saw Norwegian didn't leave until about 9:30. It gave us time to go to the lockers and figure it all out without going with a bus load of people, and of course the slight savings. I also noticed if you actually walked up to the window to purchase a pass it was about $20 more ($165).

The cab is pretty safe and convenient, it was $4/pp each way. We got there around 9 am and left about 3:45 b/c we wanted to make sure we had ample time to get back to the ship. The cab dropped us at Coral Towers and we just asked which way we had to walk to "sign in". You have to print your vouchers (prior to your cruise) and you get a wristband - then you're on your way. If you get a locker you will get a key, keep it on your wrist, if you lose it you have to pay $50.00.

And they warn "space is limited" so regarding it being "sold out" I guess that is always a possibility. B/c you have the people staying there, other cruises, people from Comfort Suites who get passes and others all trying to get in.

I literally just came off the BA (Sunday), and bought the passes from Atlantis website. We were in port from 8 am to 6pm (2 boats were also in port w/us).

I bought the passes from the Atlantis website for $145/pp (Thanksgiving Day so it was a bit higher priced). Def. worth it vs booking with Norwegian. We left very early (like 8:30, after breakfast) and I saw Norwegian didn't leave until about 9:30. It gave us time to go to the lockers and figure it all out without going with a bus load of people, and of course the slight savings. I also noticed if you actually walked up to the window to purchase a pass it was about $20 more ($165).

The cab is pretty safe and convenient, it was $4/pp each way. We got there around 9 am and left about 3:45 b/c we wanted to make sure we had ample time to get back to the ship. The cab dropped us at Coral Towers and we just asked which way we had to walk to "sign in". You have to print your vouchers (prior to your cruise) and you get a wristband - then you're on your way. If you get a locker you will get a key, keep it on your wrist, if you lose it you have to pay $50.00.

And they warn "space is limited" so regarding it being "sold out" I guess that is always a possibility. B/c you have the people staying there, other cruises, people from Comfort Suites who get passes and others all trying to get in.

Thank you so much for your input! I think our best bet is to buy ahead of time.

This is off topic, but related to your cruise. How was GSC? I heard it was under construction.

We cruise the Caribbean often in December. It's technically after hurricane season and think the chance of missing the port is highly unlikely. Outside of a major storm system it's usually just tender ports that get cancelled for wind/rough seas and Nassau isn't a tender port.

We have been to Nassau at least 10 times in December. I would not purchase the NCL Atlantis excursion. As others have said, they get there later than you would if you went by yourself. The only downside I see to purchasing tickets in advance is the weather. We have hit temps from 50 degrees to 80 degrees. We have had sun, and pouring rain. If you don't mind being a bit cold, go for it. Catching a cab there and back is no problem.

We just did the Dolphin Adventure and Beach day at Atlantis through NCL on 11/18. We were there overnight and were 1 of 5 ships in port!

Don't book through NCL. We were there till 6 pm that night but our tour wasn't leaving till 10:30 am. We got to the meeting point for the bus (just before Security to the left by the yellow tower) and were tossed into a HUGE chaotic group of everybody going to Atlantis for the various tours. We were shuffled off to busses, where the bus driver told us on the ride over that he's not paid at all and he relies on the very generous tips given to him by his lovely passengers. Then we got to Atlantis and were put on another short bus ride within Atlantis to the section we needed to go. By the time we actually got to where we needed to be it was close to 11:30!

Once we got to the Dolphin area we had to wait around for the "training" time we were assigned. Then sat through that(I was an observer so no clue what they did) then they were suited up and went in the water etc. After it was over and they were back in their own gear we had to wait about 40 minutes in the store for pictures etc and shopping(several groups go at the same time and all finish at the same time so you find yourself trying to get pictures with 60+ other people) It was close to 2 by the time we were ready to move on. Since I wanted to be on board at 4 (because I am neurotic) we felt we didn't have time to find something to eat, walk to the beach area, settle in and enjoy before we'd have to wrap it up and find our way back to the ship - so we just left. So we walked to the closest building to the Dolphin area and instead of getting on the shuttle to go back to the area where the shuttle to the pier was we just asked a Bellman to get us a Cab. Like somebody else said it's $4pp.

Had we not booked through NCL we would have left around 8:30 or so and would have had time to enjoy the beach and Atlantis in general. Instead we felt the tour left too late, was too chaotic trying to get everybody out of the port and to Atlantis and the timing - for us - was too tight.

Book on your own, leave early to enjoy Atlantis and leave plenty of time at the end to get yourself back to the ship.