Passenger Skipping a Port

lwnbwlr

Thanks for the terrific idea, Martincath. I mapped the trip from NH to Quebec and it's only 330 miles, a nice days drive. Problem solved!

If the trip to Quebec is 330 miles, I am guessing that your son is in or around Concord. If that is the case, it is actually closer and faster to drive to New York. If your cruise is a round-trip out of New York, you could fly to Boston, drive to NH for a visit, and then drive from NH to NY without the hassle of a border crossing by car. Or if your cruise is a one-way from Quebec to New York, take the cruise first, then after you finish, drive to NH and then fly home out of Boston.

Edited by JimmyVWine

If the trip to Quebec is 330 miles, I am guessing that your son is in or around Concord. If that is the case, it is actually closer and faster to drive to New York. If your cruise is a round-trip out of New York, you could fly to Boston, drive to NH for a visit, and then drive from NH to NY without the hassle of a border crossing by car. Or if your cruise is a one-way from Quebec to New York, take the cruise first, then after you finish, drive to NH and then fly home out of Boston.

Poster has said they were looking at a Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale cruise.

On our 2017 Canada/New England cruise, my wife and I would like to visit our son who lives in New Hampshire. In order to have a reasonable time to visit, we plan on leaving the ship in Boston and re-boarding in Newport, Rhode, Island, the following day.

We will advise the ship's authorities of our plan before we leave. Has anyone else done this and are there any problems we haven't foreseen?

You cannot do this. It is a violation of the PVSA.

How does that work for the Alaskan cruises that are Seattle round trips? The only non-american port they visit is Victoria British Columbia. It doesn't seem awfully distant to me.

On a round trip cruise, you do not have to stop at a distant port. You only have to stop at foreign port.

I am no attorney so this is just my thinking-----If your cruise is the 7-day cruise round trip out of New York, then it will embark and disembark at the same US port and the cruise line would not be in violation of the PVSA. Just because you fail to re-board the ship in Boston but do so in Newport would not constitute two separate cruises.

Like others have posted, the thing to do is to get it cleared by contacting Princess and work out the details with them. Good luck and lets us know what they tell you. I may want to do something similar on a future cruise.

You are giving out inaccurate information. If the ship leaves without you, you have disembarked and when you reboard you are starting a new trip. This would be a violation of the PVSA.

You could "accidently" stay out too late to catch the ship in Boston..... Darn, I missed the ship !

Then pick up the ship again in Rhode Island.

You will still get fined and perhaps denied boarding at the next port.

Is this the strategy where you find that the ship has cleared your belongings from the cabin and emptied the safe and left everything with the port agent in Boston? Then when you try to re-board you find that you are no longer listed as a passenger on the ship's manifest. That nice strategy?

The OP really needs to work this out with Princess in advance (assuming that it can even be done).

No, it cannot be done.

Are they starting or ending in Canada (maybe with clearance) or is it a round trip out of New York (violation of PVSA)?

It doesn't matter. Northbound the NY to Boston would be a violation of the PVSA.

Southbound, getting off the ship would not be a problem. The person would be refused boarding in Boston because the Boston to NY portion would be a violation.

Hmmmm..then how can a ship embark in Seattle, stop at several ports in Alaska, then make a quick stop in Victoria, Canada before returning to Seattle ????

We did exactly that on our last Alaskan cruise

Well, with good navigation and a fit ship, it should be no problem.

However, the rules for one way trips and round trips are different. Since you are describing a round trip, all the ship has to do is visit a foreign port.

The cruise I had planned on was Quebec City to Ft. Lauderdale.

I appreciate the lively discussion and helpful posts. I definitely will contact Princess before embarking on my plan.

I had never heard of the PVSA and can only surmise that if a federal law, in effect, prohibits cruise passengers from innocently skipping a U.S. port, it needs some serious amending.

Contact your Congress person or Senator. The law has been around for awhile (since 1886). Best of luck to you. The last time someone tried to change it, it was to make it stronger.