Passenger Skipping a Port

lwnbwlr

On our 2017 Canada/New England cruise, my wife and I would like to visit our son who lives in New Hampshire. In order to have a reasonable time to visit, we plan on leaving the ship in Boston and re-boarding in Newport, Rhode, Island, the following day.

We will advise the ship's authorities of our plan before we leave. Has anyone else done this and are there any problems we haven't foreseen?

On our 2017 Canada/New England cruise, my wife and I would like to visit our son who lives in New Hampshire. In order to have a reasonable time to visit, we plan on leaving the ship in Boston and re-boarding in Newport, Rhode, Island, the following day.

We will advise the ship's authorities of our plan before we leave. Has anyone else done this and are there any problems we haven't foreseen?

I imagine you will have to clear this with Princess before you leave as well as when you are onboard so at least they know where you are when they sail.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

haven't done this myself. But my advice would be to contact Princess right away and find out if there indeed are any issues on their end.

I have done that twice before in the Mediterranean with HAL.

All I had to do is to contact the cruise line through your travel agent. I wrote a letter explaining what days, times and ports I wanted to get off the ship at and what days times etc I wanted to re-embark. In your letter to the cruise line make sure you say something to the fact that you know you will be on your own during this time off the ship.

One suggestion is to try to get to the pursers desk before the time you want to leave so that they have time to walk you off the ship. They have to sign you out so to speak.

Have fun with your son

You may be in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, since your cruise could be considered as two separate cruises. You cannot cruise from one US port to another US port without stopping at a distant foreign port - and no Canadian port is considered a distant foreign port.

no Canadian port is considered a distant foreign port.
How does that work for the Alaskan cruises that are Seattle round trips? The only non-american port they visit is Victoria British Columbia. It doesn't seem awfully distant to me.

How does that work for the Alaskan cruises that are Seattle round trips? The only non-american port they visit is Victoria British Columbia. It doesn't seem awfully distant to me.

I believe it's because you are embarking/disembarking in the same US port...so Victoria will work. Same for RT LA-Hawaii-LA cruises with Ensenada as the port that will qualify. But if you have a different US port for the start and end of the cruise (say a Ft. Lauderdale to LA Panama Cruise), you would have to stop at a "distant foreign port).

You may be in violation of the Passenger Vessel Services Act, since your cruise could be considered as two separate cruises. You cannot cruise from one US port to another US port without stopping at a distant foreign port - and no Canadian port is considered a distant foreign port.

I am no attorney so this is just my thinking-----If your cruise is the 7-day cruise round trip out of New York, then it will embark and disembark at the same US port and the cruise line would not be in violation of the PVSA. Just because you fail to re-board the ship in Boston but do so in Newport would not constitute two separate cruises.

Like others have posted, the thing to do is to get it cleared by contacting Princess and work out the details with them. Good luck and lets us know what they tell you. I may want to do something similar on a future cruise.

You could "accidently" stay out too late to catch the ship in Boston..... Darn, I missed the ship !

Then pick up the ship again in Rhode Island.

Edited by jasmith52

It will not be allowed. To board in NYC and debark in Boston is carrying passengers from one US port to another without visiting a distant foreign port. Then boarding in Newport and getting off in NYC would be a second violation. You will not be allowed to do it. And if you 'missed' the ship in Boston, likely would not be allowed to reboard in Newport. EM

I have done that twice before in the Mediterranean with HAL.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Or more like watermelons and kumquats. There are no anti-cabotage laws for cruises beginning and ending in European Union nations; most port-to-port moves are classified as domestic travel in the Schengen zone.

For round-trip USA cruises requests such as the OPs are usually denied as any mid-cruise change in the passenger manifest usually results in CBP doing a "work to rule" which can seriously delay clearing the ship at both intermediate ports and final disembarkation.

..it will embark and disembark at the same US port and the cruise line would not be in violation of the PVSA. Just because you fail to re-board the ship in Boston but do so in Newport would not constitute two separate cruises.

Oh yes it does. How on earth could it not? (And how on earth does this myth continue to be repeated?)

You could "accidently" stay out too late to catch the ship in Boston..... Darn, I missed the ship !

Yikes, even worse advice. Princess would have every right to pass along the fines for the PVSA violation for the New York-Boston segment. And deny reboarding due to the new Newport-New York segment creating a second violation.

Edited by fishywood

Nice strategy.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Is this the strategy where you find that the ship has cleared your belongings from the cabin and emptied the safe and left everything with the port agent in Boston? Then when you try to re-board you find that you are no longer listed as a passenger on the ship's manifest. That nice strategy?

The OP really needs to work this out with Princess in advance (assuming that it can even be done).

Edited by ar1950

Chances are you won't be able to do this. The PVSA says that a foreign flagged ship may not transport passengers from one US port to another US port without a stop in a distant foreign port. A distant foreign port is any port NOT in North America, Central America, the Bermuda Islands, or

the West Indies (including the Bahama Islands, but not including the Leeward Islands of the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao).

I'm figuring that your cruise begins and ends in NY. If so, boarding the ship in NY and getting off in Boston is illegal. And boarding in Rhode Island and getting off in NY is also illegal. I doubt that Princess will allow this.

The PVSA doesn't care (or look at) the fact that the overall cruise is roundtrip, they only look at where a passenger gets on and gets off. By getting off the ship mid-cruise that's considered "debarking" the ship. Even if you plan to reboard.

This is not wise. This involves possibly delaying the ship from pier, can cost thousands and as someone else mentioned, clearing your cabin and packing your bags by someone other than yourself.

I suspect if someone actually did miss the ship they would be charged a fine.

My reading of this is that there would be two violations. One when they left the ship in Boston. Because they were illegally transported between New York and Boston. The second violation would be when they re-boarded in New Port because then they would be transported from New Port to Boston.

I doubt very much that it would be allowed.

I suspect if someone actually did miss the ship they would be charged a fine.

My reading of this is that there would be two violations. One when they left the ship in Boston. Because they were illegally transported between New York and Boston. The second violation would be when they re-boarded in New Port because then they would be transported from New Port to Boston.

I doubt very much that it would be allowed.

At $300 per person, per violation, that could add up.

The PVSA doesn't care (or look at) the fact that the overall cruise is roundtrip, they only look at where a passenger gets on and gets off. By getting off the ship mid-cruise that's considered "debarking" the ship. Even if you plan to reboard.

Yep. The PVSA does not care how the cruise line markets the voyage - only where YOU embark and where YOU disembark. That's why certain B2B cruises are not allowed (e.g. Los Angeles-Vancouver B2B with Vancouver-Seattle is not allowed because it becomes an illegal Los Angeles-Seattle voyage). As others have posted, what you want to do turns it into two illegal cruises: New York-Boston and Newport-New York.

Also what happens if the weather is bad and Newport is missed as a port. I recall we tendered there and I have heard of times when it is too windy to run the tenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The leg of the trip from NY to Boston would still be a violation. But, then, OP wouldn't be able to reboard if the ship misses Newport.

Edited by Shmoo here

Also what happens if the weather is bad and Newport is missed as a port. I recall we tendered there and I have heard of times when it is too windy to run the tenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were in Newport once where they stopped tendering people as the water was really rough. Those who went ashore could stay ashore but others could not go ashore after 9 or 10 am.

I have read several times when Newport has been skipped.

We were in Newport once where they stopped tendering people as the water was really rough. Those who went ashore could stay ashore but others could not go ashore after 9 or 10 am.

I have read several times when Newport has been skipped.

Very valid point!!!

framer

Are they starting or ending in Canada (maybe with clearance) or is it a round trip out of New York (violation of PVSA)?

The only way this could be legal is if you skipped a Canadian port, and reboarded at another if it's an RT - a one-way would not work if broken because they cross the border just once per cruise so one leg would always end up illegal.

Even if you had two legal (by PVSA) cruises between US and Canada or vice versa - the time required getting from a Canadian port to NH then back to Canada would likely eat way too much time to be practical without chartering your own plane.

Could your son come to one of the ports for the day?