question about name card on mailbox/door

vmom

Did you know that Princess frequently puts name tags on empty cabins?

For what purpose? If what I have read in this post is accurate, many people remove the name tags, so there will be rooms all over the ship with no name tags, both empty and occupied. Seems like a waste of time to put fake name tags on empty rooms.

Edited by sloopsailor

For what purpose? If what I have read in this post is accurate, many people remove the name tags, so there will be rooms all over the ship with no name tags, both empty and occupied. Seems like a waste of time to put fake name tags on empty rooms.

Its not always fake names, but the names of the previous cruisers in the cabin if the cabin is now unoccupied. A couple of years ago I did a B2B. The first week i was traveling with some friends that were in the cabin next to me. They cold only travel one week. After turn around day I noticed their names were still on the cabin mailbox next to me. I asked Stewart, and he said that when a cabin is empty they typically leave the previous peoples name tag there so it doesnt look like there are empty cabins. This way people wont g to the front desk and ask for upgrades. :)

We will be on our first Princess cruise next May I had not heard about this name on the doors tradition. I'm in the camp of planning to immediately remove it. It makes me think of a kids' summer camp or the first week in a college dorm. i also don't think it's Princess's business to make the decision of lack of privacy for me.

Not like names on a college dorm. Just a 1" high card with very small print on the mail box beside the door.

Great, now the "weirdos" out there will be looking for the cabins w/o name tags...those are all the solo cruisers...;)

And empty cabins and all those who sail with someone, whomever it may be, and don't want their name and/or Captain's Circle status on display. Ours comes down whether cruising solo or together, makes no difference...

Its not always fake names, but the names of the previous cruisers in the cabin if the cabin is now unoccupied. A couple of years ago I did a B2B. The first week i was traveling with some friends that were in the cabin next to me. They cold only travel one week. After turn around day I noticed their names were still on the cabin mailbox next to me. I asked Stewart, and he said that when a cabin is empty they typically leave the previous peoples name tag there so it doesnt look like there are empty cabins. This way people wont g to the front desk and ask for upgrades. :)

Thank you.

Passengers seeing cabins empty and wanting to be upgraded to those cabins. This does indeed happen.

This doesn't make sense at all. We often travel with friends and we remove the name tags as soon as we enter the room. It is no one's business who is in our cabins. So, to follow up on your theory, then the ship's crew should be replacing those name tags every time we remove them to prevent people from thinking our rooms were empty and trying to upgrade to these cabins. However, that has never happened.

I count this as an urban legend. ;)

Edited by sloopsailor

Just when I thought I had read it all on CC! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who are these passengers who sneak out of their cabins in the middle of the night to go prowl thru the darkened alleyways of cruiseships reading the passengers name cards and checking if they are solo female cruisers? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Who says it is at night? There are people that just want to be nosy 24/7 whether on a ship or anyplace for that matter. Solo male or female it makes a difference to the one staying in the cabin maybe it is a personal preference. I think if one feel uncomfortable having a name on the door area, take it off. I might take ours off and I travel with my husband. Sometimes it can just be a different feeling that one might have.

And empty cabins and all those who sail with someone, whomever it may be, and don't want their name and/or Captain's Circle status on display. Ours comes down whether cruising solo or together, makes no difference...

You are right, my original comment was with a wink. And now, all my comments are regretted as I obviously should have never entered this thread.

Edited by Murphey

Thanks everyone for all of your help and feedback. I'll take the name card down and leave it at that.

Thanks also for those who are encouraging and understand. Better a little bit too cautious, but safe.

For the few who didn't seem to get it, all I can say is that you are obviously not a female solo traveler.

vmom, whatever you decide (and only you can decide on the best recourse) I hope you enjoy your cruise. I'm sorry you have to be as vigilant as you are. I hope one day you can board a ship and have no worries.

Counting down the days.

Many of the people posting on this thread may remove the tags, but my experience is that very few cabins have no name tags showing.

This has been an incredible thread. Especially when the simple answer is just remove the little paper name tag from the mailbox as soon as you see it if it worries you that it is there. For most it will be when they first go into their cabin. If it is later, so be it. Remove it then. I am pretty sure most everybody on the ship is going to be far more interested in everything other than your name tag on your cabin mailbox. Seriously, folks who are concerned, its not a big deal. This name tag on our cabin mailbox is the LEAST of our worries on the ship. YMMV, and if so, as said earlier, just remove it. Sing a nice song here: Remove it, remove it. Yes indeed just remove it. La la, la la, just remove it. Hey, that could make an interesting seasonal song? Happy holidays to everyone. :D

delete

Pretty funny Mrs and Mrs. Not sure that is what Micheal Jackson had in mind. Definitely not my first choice in musical representation. However, it may work, so have at it.

Edit: You deleted those lyrics??? Hmm... :confused:

Edited by ar1950