vmom

Hi All

The name tags are important,

it easy if you have taken a few cruises to go onto

auto pilot when making your way back to a cabin, its not the first time I have

gone to the right cabin but on the wrong deck, or have gone to a cabin I had

the last cruise, now I have never tried to get in, because I saw the name tag,

but I would think if there was no name tags at all, loads of folks would be

wondering around lost knocking on doors.

yours Shogun

There's no reason to announce to the public the occupants of my room(s), but I'm really not debating it, because I really could care less. The name tag immediately gets removed, and becomes another souvenir trinket that I love to take home. I might even miss it if it wasn't there! :)

I would love to live in the world that some of you seem to. A world where a woman travelling alone isn't a target (no matter what her looks, age, etc.). A world where she doesn't have to have 360 deg knowledge of all that is around her at all times. That's not my world or the world of any woman I know.

Although I am not constantly vigilant when alone or continually on high alert to potential danger, the awareness is always there and will never fully go away.

Why not take measures to mitigate the potential danger? I always take my name tag down and tell the steward not to replace it. Simple safety measure when travelling alone.

I travel frequently for business and also carry a plastic door wedge to use on the inside of the door at night. You do not want to hear the story that necessitated that.

I am safe and feel safe 99% of the time, but it only takes once. An ounce of prevention et al.

I would love to live in the world that some of you seem to. A world where a woman travelling alone isn't a target (no matter what her looks, age, etc.). A world where she doesn't have to have 360 deg knowledge of all that is around her at all times. That's not my world or the world of any woman I know.

Although I am not constantly vigilant when alone or continually on high alert to potential danger, the awareness is always there and will never fully go away.

Why not take measures to mitigate the potential danger? I always take my name tag down and tell the steward not to replace it. Simple safety measure when travelling alone.

I travel frequently for business and also carry a plastic door wedge to use on the inside of the door at night. You do not want to hear the story that necessitated that.

I am safe and feel safe 99% of the time, but it only takes once. An ounce of prevention et al.

My thoughts exactly, Well said. I think I will just take it down.

You are very wise! I do the same thing when traveling alone. No need to invite trouble. I find it interesting that other cruiselines don't put peoples names on the door! I can't imagine why Princess does it. They'd save alot of time and money if they stopped.

FWIW - for me, it was a crew member who came knocking on my door. Followed me up to the deck I was on then went down the doors looking for a solo female in that section - and came knocking on my door late at night. I did not open it, obviously and called security - and told him through the door that I had done so. They came right up, I described the crew member and what he was wearing (he was a dancer - they knew exactly who he was) and hauled his butt in. He was put off the ship at rhe next port. Apparently not the first time he had stalked a female passenger....

After that, no more names on my door whether I'm traveling solo or with my husband or others... I find it incredible in this fay and age that Princess still does it at all.... In the meantime, I take ours/mine down ASAP. And have seen lots of blank spaces along the corridor as I'm walking to the stairs or elevator, so obviously others remove then for whatever reasons of their own. .

It's unfortunate that even on vacation on a cruise ship we have to be so diligent, but that's the way it is nowadays. .

I give you a lot of credit for your quick thinking and good instincts. Since it was a crew member, the assumption is that he would be a trusted person to open to the door for.

Hi All

The name tags are important,

it easy if you have taken a few cruises to go onto

auto pilot when making your way back to a cabin, its not the first time I have

gone to the right cabin but on the wrong deck, or have gone to a cabin I had

the last cruise, now I have never tried to get in, because I saw the name tag,

but I would think if there was no name tags at all, loads of folks would be

wondering around lost knocking on doors.

yours Shogun

LOL, I've had a similar experience. I was on a tour through Thailand, 14 days which involved staying in several hotels.

One day after going to the lobby for something, I ended up going to the room number of the previous hotel and tried to open the door with my key card. Of course after the door wouldn't open I realized I had gone to the wrong room.

So I guess unless you have experienced this, it may be hard to realize how easy it is when distracted.

Also, on a previous cruise, different cruise line, with a friend, I went up to the buffet and when I got back there was a strange man trying to get into my cabin. Turns out he was in the cabin next door but had also gone up to the buffet and had his hands full of food plates so was distracted and gone to the wrong cabin.

Edited by vmom

Thanks everyone for all of your help and feedback. I'll take the name card down and leave it at that.

Thanks also for those who are encouraging and understand. Better a little bit too cautious, but safe.

For the few who didn't seem to get it, all I can say is that you are obviously not a female solo traveler.

I give you a lot of credit for your quick thinking and good instincts. Since it was a crew member, the assumption is that he would be a trusted person to open to the door for.

At midnight, I'm not opening my door for anyone unless im very certain of who that person is, and why they are there. When room service would be delivered later at night, I wait in the hall until the person has dropped it and come out again. And so on...it's the same in hotels for me.

It sucks that this is how solo travelers, particularly females, have to behave due to the absolutely disgusting behavior of the few but we have to be diligent and protect ourselves.

It is beyond amazing to me that Princess still puts the names of everyone on the outside of the cabin. No other cruise line does this, and people seem to find their cabins just fine. And room stewards seem to have no problem remembering people's names, etc. Do people make mistakes occasionally and try the wrong cabin - sure, but they do it even when the name is there! Hotels - people manage to find their rooms just fine without names....

It's a particular pet peeves of mine for Princess. Of course I still sail them and will continue to do so as we enjoy their product. And I'll continue to remove my name tags as needed....

I do not see anything wrong with the name tags -- it feels like a "Welcome Home" to me.

I also do not see anything wrong with simply removing it if you do not want it.

It would be much more appropriate to leave something inside as a "welcome home", not outside. I see no need to advertise who is in each stateroom. We remove ours as soon as we open the door for the first time.

Hi All

The name tags are important, it easy if you have taken a few cruises to go onto auto pilot when making your way back to a cabin, its not the first time I have gone to the right cabin but on the wrong deck, or have gone to a cabin I had the last cruise, now I have never tried to get in, because I saw the name tag, but I would think if there was no name tags at all, loads of folks would be wondering around lost knocking on doors.

yours Shogun

That's what the stateroom numbers are for. I find it easier to find my stateroom by reading the numbers. It tells me if I am on the right deck, on the right side of the ship, and if I need to go left or right towards my own.

Edited by sloopsailor

It would be much more appropriate to leave something inside as a "welcome home", not outside. I see no need to advertise who is in each stateroom. We remove ours as soon as we open the door for the first time.

That's what the stateroom numbers are for. I find it easier to find my stateroom by reading the numbers. It tells me if I am on the right deck, on the right side of the ship, and if I need to go left or right towards my own.

They have done it for many many years.

We like it. If you don't remove it. Its very simple.

We dined one cruise with a very secretive couple who said little and kissed a lot. We decided they must be having an affair. (There were other signs, too.). I imagine they took down their name tag, too. Mr Smith and Mrs Jones. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Although I am retired (just this year) I travelled across the country weekly for my job, staying in hotels renting cars, etc.

As a woman travelling alone I learned very quickly that the only person watching out for me was me (on the road anyway).

Every woman needs to think about this if travelling alone and be careful to remove any indication that you may be alone, particularly in hotels.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with removing the card or asking them just to use initials. Considering all of the recent privacy issues, I am surprised that they still post names on doors on the ship.

It always amazes me that Princess does this...not only the names but also the Captains Circle level. What's the point?

We cruise on several different lines and nobody else does this. We remember which cabin we're in...the cabin stewards all know us by name and they know what loyalty program level we are at. And nobody else really needs that information. And there are lots of better ways they can say "welcome back" other than typing my name on a card and sticking it next to my door.

We will be on our first Princess cruise next May I had not heard about this name on the doors tradition. I'm in the camp of planning to immediately remove it. It makes me think of a kids' summer camp or the first week in a college dorm. i also don't think it's Princess's business to make the decision of lack of privacy for me.

We will be on our first Princess cruise next May I had not heard about this name on the doors tradition. I'm in the camp of planning to immediately remove it. It makes me think of a kids' summer camp or the first week in a college dorm. i also don't think it's Princess's business to make the decision of lack of privacy for me.

One reason they do it is to help the Stewards address you by name.

It's not just Princess that do it.

Can I ask which other lines do so? We've cruised HAL, Carnival, Cunard, Royal and Celebrity - and none of them have the names on the outside of the cabin. And on none of them have room stewards had a problem knowing our names...

We dined one cruise with a very secretive couple who said little and kissed a lot. We decided they must be having an affair. (There were other signs, too.). I imagine they took down their name tag, too. Mr Smith and Mrs Jones. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmm...interesting. Maybe they were newlyweds or newly dating or just really in lust....they could be married and have different last names and still be lovey dovey. I admit your story is cute - but different last names doesn't mean they aren't married or they're having an affair.....

It's not the culture or norm all over the world to change your name (as a lady) when you get married....