[LIVE] From the Serenade of the Seas 2-12 December 2016

A question for someone to answer:

When the ship is at sea, every now and then there is a brief "shudder" or "vibration" or a "small bounce" that passes through the ship.

They only last a second or two but we can feel them wherever we are on board.

Probably hitting a wave a bit differently.

A question for someone to answer:

When the ship is at sea, every now and then there is a brief "shudder" or "vibration" or a "small bounce" that passes through the ship.

They only last a second or two but we can feel them wherever we are on board.

We felt the same thing while on Serenade last week. I wondered what might cause this?? One thing I noticed, on Port side theater, by men's restroom, there would be a loud engine noise in this area that seemed to relate at same time as the shudder. Who knows...

We felt the same thing while on Serenade last week. I wondered what might cause this?? One thing I noticed, on Port side theater, by men's restroom, there would be a loud engine noise in this area that seemed to relate at same time as the shudder. Who knows...

What you are describing sounds like air being forced or trapped in the bow thruster tunnels, IIRC there are three of them.

Not sure about throughout the ship but it is occasionally noticeable in the forward area such as the theater.

I agree, it's location. 4 different cabins on Serenade in last 6 weeks. Back aft cabins feel it, but when was in middle of ship cabin 1054 during the BOS/FLL repo, didn't feel anything. Almost didn't like it as never felt like was on a ship. I like a little rocking.

I wonder why they're doing that?! Odd. Btw, enjoying your cruise along with you, thanks as always for sharing and posting! Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw a show once when they were adding balconies to Majesty among other things. The original lights inside the C&A emblem wore out/burned out yrs ago. During the dry dock they had to remove it and ended up putting new neon lights inside it. Guess they weren't originally well planned out for easy replacement of inside lights.

We are a fan of aft cabins, but on the southern carib cruises (especially on the

way to Aruba) there are some really bad currents thus the seas can get quite nasty

at times. The aft and bow bobs up and down quite a bit and indeed can take some

cross waves, creating a shudder. Not sure if that is the same shudder you are feeling

but we did get it on days with big ocean swells.

With the smaller ship like Serenade (and same thing we noticed on Legend when

she did those itineraries) we find it better to be mid ship with less bow and tail

movement being in the middle. Think seesaw. ;)

We talked with the Assistant Engineer this morning and he said this occurs when they change throttle settings on the engines. They commonly do this to make sure the two propellers are driving the ship in a straight line without having to turn the rudders a bit to keep going straight,

If they are only adjusting one engine than the "shudder" will seem to come from that side of the ship.

If they are adjusting both engines than the "shudder" will be felt equally on both sides of the ship.

Now we all know! :)

As a Prostate Cancer Survivor, I often need to "go potty" more often than most men my age.

In case you are interested, it is 164 paces from the table where we normally eat in the Windjammer to the nearest Men's Room. :eek:

At home, it is less than 25. thumbsup_zps5d13f512.gif

Edited by Trainman-2

From your pictures this morning it looks like you are docking in a different location than we have always docked in St. Maarten. Looks very industrial with all those containers.

We are used to docking where there are shops along the pier and a short distance to walk to the water taxi.

We talked with the Assistant Engineer this morning and he said this occurs when they change throttle settings on the engines. They commonly do this to make sure the two propellers are driving the ship in a straight line without having to turn the rudders a bit to keep going straight,

If they are only adjusting one engine than the "shudder" will seem to come from that side of the ship.

If they are adjusting both engines than the "shudder" will be felt equally on both sides of the ship.

Now we all know! :)

Great info. I guess out of sync propellers.

On note, I didn't think Serenade had rudders??

Great info. I guess out of sync propellers.

On note, I didn't think Serenade had rudders??

Probably not plain old rudders, but azipods. I'll bet it's most efficient to keep those pointing in the same direction too.

Probably not plain old rudders, but azipods. I'll bet it's most efficient to keep those pointing in the same direction too.

You probably right about those Azipods. Serenade has a history with those electric motors.

Having a Master 100 gross ton license (now inactive), very common to get a horrible vibration in a multiple screw vessel. We never adjusted RPM by gauges but by feel on the vibration.

You probably right about those Azipods. Serenade has a history with those electric motors.

Having a Master 100 gross ton license (now inactive), very common to get a horrible vibration in a multiple screw vessel. We never adjusted RPM by gauges but by feel on the vibration.

Similar to twin engine airplanes.:)