Desalinized water

HalFan

I seem to remember a thread a while ago about the desalinized water on HAL ships and how it causes swollen ankles, etc. among some passengers. I will be on the Volendam for 28 days shortly and I normally drink a lot of water. I don't really want to buy bottled water all the time because of the expense and plastic waste. Does anyone have any recommendations? Do Brita type filters help with desalinized water or are they mainly helpful for removing chemicals?

The process used is generally flash steam distillation although sometimes reverse osmosis. Afterward they add "trace minerals" for taste because pure distilled water is "flat" or unnatural tasting. But the amount of minerals and mix should be far lower than most tap water on shore. This is the same process most bottled water is made with - unless it is listed as from a spring source and thus Spring Water not Bottled Water. Bottled water also often has a statement to the effect "trace minerals added for taste."

In a "non-normal" environment like a cruise it is really hard to pin down the cause of things like swollen ankles to one specific cause. Extra walking, richer food and food maybe higher in sodium than at home could all contribute. That and the symptom being somewhat subjective make it easy for make an apocryphal connection.

I suppose there's a chance someone can mess up the trace minerals but chances are it is computer metered as milligrams per 100 liters so probably not enough for filters to deal with. I feel totally OK with ship water as long as I can get it cold - cabin taps are often a little warm at the coolest setting due to the pipes running through warm areas.

The onboard water doesn't cause swollen feet. The number one cause is uaually the salt people add to their food over and above what is already in it. We find ship food usually on the heavy side in salt content.

The number is people drink more alcohol without their exercise increasing.

I like bottled water for daily cabin needs and bring aboard large liter bottles. I find one liter a week for cabin needs works for me. Pill taking and afternoon rehydration if the weather is warm. I am not from the 8 glasses a day school.

Plastic gets recycled and these are bargain size bottles which you can bring aboard in unlimited amounts, depending upon the length of your cruise. If you are a constant, throughout the day daily water drinker, then this would probably not work for you.

Edited by OlsSalt

Frequently, a substantial source of water onboard is municipal water from the home port.

The "trace minerals" added are not for taste. It is calcium carbonate (the active ingredient in Tums), which neutralizes the slight acidity of the distilled water.

Believe it or not, increased exercise (i.e. walking the ship or on shore, taking the stairs) can cause water retention.

Probably the next largest culprit behind salt in the food is the chlorine in the drinking water onboard. It has been shown to cause water retention by affecting the thyroid (not in everyone) and slowing the metabolism, so water is retained. Water from the dining venues (the pitchers the waiters bring), the water dispensers in the buffet, and the bar guns all have filters to remove the chlorine (for maintenance reasons, not taste), so this can be a better choice. Also, cabin tap water, if left to sit open in a pitcher or bottle for a couple of hours will allow the chlorine to dissipate naturally.

Brita filters work fine for removing chlorine.

Water retention does not affect everyone. I've been drinking ship's water for 6 months a year for 40 years, and never experienced water retention.

Edited by chengkp75

Frequently, a substantial source of water onboard is municipal water from the home port.

The "trace minerals" added are not for taste. It is calcium carbonate (the active ingredient in Tums), which neutralizes the slight acidity of the distilled water.

Believe it or not, increased exercise (i.e. walking the ship or on shore, taking the stairs) can cause water retention.

Probably the next largest culprit behind salt in the food is the chlorine in the drinking water onboard. It has been shown to cause water retention by affecting the thyroid (not in everyone) and slowing the metabolism, so water is retained. Water from the dining venues (the pitchers the waiters bring), the water dispensers in the buffet, and the bar guns all have filters to remove the chlorine (for maintenance reasons, not taste), so this can be a better choice. Also, cabin tap water, if left to sit open in a pitcher or bottle for a couple of hours will allow the chlorine to dissipate naturally.

Brita filters work fine for removing chlorine.

Water retention does not affect everyone. I've been drinking ship's water for 6 months a year for 40 years, and never experienced water retention.

I don't think that chlorine is the issue . Most city water system use more chlorine in their water than the ships. Salt and exercise for those that don't walk a lot.

I don't think that chlorine is the issue . Most city water system use more chlorine in their water than the ships. Salt and exercise for those that don't walk a lot.

While municipal supplies do initial dosing of chlorine higher than the ships, the water in the municipal supply is only one way, out. It does not recirculate back for rechlorination. It travels miles in pipes, and can sit for hours in pipes until needed, and the chlorine dissipates. Very few houses have detectable amounts of chlorine at their taps.

Ships on the other hand, recirculate the water, it is moving around the ship all the time, some is used in sinks, etc, and the rest goes back to the storage tanks. It is then pumped back around the ship. Each time it is pumped out, it passes the chlorination injection point, and the amount of chlorine is controlled by the amount of chlorine measured at the farthest point from the injection point. So the chlorine is added in the engine room, and the chlorine monitor is on the bridge, and the chlorine must have a residual chlorine level of 0.5ppm there, and the dosing is done accordingly. So, while municipal supply's chlorine content will go from high at the filtering plant, to zero at the building farthest out, the ship's supply will remain basically constant, with the naturally dissipating chlorine being replenished every few minutes.

While municipal supplies do initial dosing of chlorine higher than the ships, the water in the municipal supply is only one way, out. It does not recirculate back for rechlorination. It travels miles in pipes, and can sit for hours in pipes until needed, and the chlorine dissipates. Very few houses have detectable amounts of chlorine at their taps.

Ships on the other hand, recirculate the water, it is moving around the ship all the time, some is used in sinks, etc, and the rest goes back to the storage tanks. It is then pumped back around the ship. Each time it is pumped out, it passes the chlorination injection point, and the amount of chlorine is controlled by the amount of chlorine measured at the farthest point from the injection point. So the chlorine is added in the engine room, and the chlorine monitor is on the bridge, and the chlorine must have a residual chlorine level of 0.5ppm there, and the dosing is done accordingly. So, while municipal supply's chlorine content will go from high at the filtering plant, to zero at the building farthest out, the ship's supply will remain basically constant, with the naturally dissipating chlorine being replenished every few minutes.

Welcome back. Always good to get your insider facts about ship operations.

I have no technical knowledge on this but I agree with you.

Why? Because I get swollen feet. Switch to bottled water (and wine ;) ). And I am fine.

I am ok with the water at dinner but in the cabin, while touring, etc., we drinkthe bottled water and voila! My swollen feet have disappeared.

No scientific proof but it works for me :)

Have sailed HAL extensively and drink a lot of water - tap water.

For me, food is the culprit so if I have an issue after a day or 2, which I have discovered may be ship-specific, I go to a low salt diet and especially stay away from the soups. Do eat a lot of fish which may help as only eat a moderate amount of meat. Some ships cause more of an issue than others, i.e. have never had to use a low salt diet on the Amsterdam and almost always go to a low salt diet on the Prinsedam.

After extensive testing, ship's water is the culprit for swollen feet in my case. Really. For me, it is not table salt, walking, sitting, different food, etc.

I don't think that is the ship (or HAL's) fault. Again (by her signature) a complainer who has NOT sailed on HAL.....

Edited by Tennessee Titan

Thanks for all your expert responses, suggestions and humor! I think I'll take a small Brita and see how that works.

What Brita filters:

"Our pitcher filters use coconut-based activated carbon with ion exchange resin in a BPA-free housing to reduce chlorine taste and odor, zinc, even contaminant's like copper, mercury and cadmium.

Read more at https://www.brita.com/why-brita/what-we-filter/#ShbC30dXDbqhhdDZ.99"

So at best it will get rid of chlorine taste and odor, not the chlorine itself.

What Brita filters:

"Our pitcher filters use coconut-based activated carbon with ion exchange resin in a BPA-free housing to reduce chlorine taste and odor, zinc, even contaminant's like copper, mercury and cadmium.

Read more at https://www.brita.com/why-brita/what-we-filter/#ShbC30dXDbqhhdDZ.99"

So at best it will get rid of chlorine taste and odor, not the chlorine itself.

Actually, an activated carbon filter is what we use on the ship at every ice maker, water dispenser, and bar gun to remove the chlorine for maintenance reasons, the improvement in taste is a bonus.

There is no more "salt" in the ship's water than in ANY water anywhere! Distilled water has nothing in it but H2o....they will add back minerals for taste if it's for drinking, or other "non-medical" needs. All waters have "added" stuff to give it some sort of "feel" or "taste"...even tho water really has no taste at all!

The likely cause of swelling is salt in the food.....there is LOTS of salt added to restaurant food (and most folks don't eat EVERY meal in a restaurant when they 're at home)...and the added drinking folks do...combined with more walking and heat/humidity than most are used to.

Edited by cb at sea

Actually, an activated carbon filter is what we use on the ship at every ice maker, water dispenser, and bar gun to remove the chlorine for maintenance reasons, the improvement in taste is a bonus.

I just quoted Brita since it was mentioned. I found it interesting that it mentioned other chemicals that were filtered out but only mentioned removing the smell and taste of chlorine, not the chlorine itself.

Maybe ship filters are different.

Edited by Boytjie

There is no more "salt" in the ship's water than in ANY water anywhere! Distilled water has nothing in it but H2o....they will add back minerals for taste if it's for drinking, or other "non-medical" needs. All waters have "added" stuff to give it some sort of "feel" or "taste"...even tho water really has no taste at all!

I wish folks would stop pushing this myth. Ships do not add anything back into the water "for taste". And not "all" waters have added ingredients. Some do, some don't.