One Quick Question: Laundry Services

curtdesilets

We are on a 10 day Sirena Mexican Riviera Cruise leaving this weekend.

I truly do not want to pack 10 days worth of clothes and I truly do not want to try to do my own laundry in that little laundry room.

Does Oceania, on the longer cruises, offer a laundry "Deal" later in the cruise? Some lines offer a "stuff the bag" promotion or some other way to promote their laundry services. Just wondering. Otherwise, what approximately are the prices for laundry sent out?

I had this crazy idea of sending it out to a Mexican Laundry when we are in Port at Puerto Vallarta and picking it up when we reboard the ship. Anyone ever try that ? :eek:

Edited by curtdesilets
spelling

Just did a 12 day cruise and no such offer was made. Did laundry twice myself. There is fee chilled water and TV in the laundry room. Not a burden. You can always do hand washing with Woolite packets in your cabin.

We used to do our laundry on the ship... believing it was a great savings.

When we stopped to think about it it used up a lot of time, not the actual machine time ( about 1 hour, but when you added the time spent checking and waiting for a machine, the time to and from you cabin, the folding and hanging... all added up to several hours out of the day.. Hours you paid for to enjoy the cruise .

Hours that we could have been at Trivia, Art, sunning, or a host of other options... When we figgured it all we saved almost nothing doing out our own laundry.

On as recent 3 week cruise we spent maybe $150 sending out laundry, which was returned then next day, on hangers, neat and clean and hung up... so $50 a week... seemed like a great investment... thats like only 3 martinis a week....

Its a personal choice,, it you like doing it your self thats fine or if you think you'd rather save a few dollars ok too... We just found it penny wise yet pound foolish for us. as time is more valuable to us than money

Do a comparison of costs & time

There is a list of prices in the cupboard with the laundry bag

2)to $2 for a wash $2 for the dryer

3)a taxi to/from a laundry service on shore

Then choose what works best for you

everyone has different priorities

Dan has expressed his opinion many times about "time is money" and all that. And for him, it is Others of us have expressed our opinion that (for whatever reason) we prefer to do our own laundry.

As Lyn says, it isn't that big a burden. And if you are only on a 10 day cruise -- I understand that your trip may be longer than just the cruise length -- how much laundry might you need to do? If it's just a few pieces -- a dress here, some slacks there -- it could be worth it just to send it out for the regular fee.

For me, I pick a time when not many people will be doing laundry, such as cocktail time or an early dinner hour because we eat later than many, and I can't remember ever having to wait for a machine to be available. Sea days are definitely a bad idea!

Mura

I had no idea laundry would catalyze such a vigorous debate !!

I personally agree with the idea of sending it out. We are on vacation for a reason: no cooking, cleaning, laundry, housework, etc.

ON every cruise I have taken..there was a serious competition and positioning to get into the laundry unless you gave up some prime time activity...

TO some worth it to me I am on vacation and want to utilize every bit of time to enjoy it..

not a debate just what the options has to choose from.... the choice is all yours

Pick wisely grasshopper!

I've been on 3 Oceania cruises, all on the Marina. I pick my cabin right across from the laundry room. There is never any noise from the laundry room. When I want to do a load of wash I just peek into be sure a machine is open and pop in a load and go right across the hall to my cabin. It's really easy and convenient....also there are irons in there so you can iron the wrinkles out of your clothes very easily.

Sirena only has one laundry room, on Deck 7, unlike Marina. On the current cruise it has been crazy busy whenever we checked (early on), unlike our previous cruises on R-class. We've had two 20-for $24.95 offers, the first lasted (I think) 5 days and the second is just today (16 day cruise). Was great to have laundry done for us while we went on excursions!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Gosh, I hope they have some on our 15-day in June. I hate to hang out in/near the laundry room, but my inner miser hates to pay the regular prices for laundry.

You can always get more money....but you can never get more time.....saving is thus relative and needs to be considered in the long run.....for you

You can always get more money....but you can never get more time.....saving is thus relative and needs to be considered in the long run.....for you

Having never been on Oceania, do I understand correctly that there is both self-service and full-service laundry available?

Correct. The "R" ships (Regatta, Insignia, etc.) have one small laundry room available on Deck 7. It can be difficult to find a good time, but we've always been lucky if picking times when people aren't around -- on port days when we stay on board or else around cocktail hour.

Marina and Regatta have laundry rooms on all passenger decks except for Deck 12. So on these ships it isn't so difficult.

$2 (purchase tokens at Reception) per load. Detergent is provided.

You can also send out laundry to be done per piece (prices are available in your room). Sometimes there is a bulk laundry offered, most recently 20 pieces for $20.95. Socks count as 2 = 1 piece. But this option is not available on all cruises. You will see it announced in the daily "Currents" when it is available.

Mura

You can also send out laundry to be done per piece (prices are available in your room). Sometimes there is a bulk laundry offered, most recently 20 pieces for $20.95. Socks count as 2 = 1 piece. But this option is not available on all cruises. You will see it announced in the daily "Currents" when it is available.

Mura

Mura I think the latest deal is $24.95 per 20 items

You're absolutely right, Lyn. Either that was a typo (most likely) or I was thinking of an offer we had several years ago!

Most likely a typo because I'm quite sure I was THINKING $24.95!

Thanks for the correction.

Mura

I found that if you did laundry as soon as the room(s) open, you can be in and out quickly, for obvious reasons. It's during breakfast though I don't recall the exact time. We had a busy cruise and the sea days were my only option and I learned quickly the room gets backed up quickly.

I also send stuff out all the time (dress shirts/slacks, etc). The prices aren't bad and you can pack pretty light even for those longer trips.

We used to do our laundry on the ship... believing it was a great savings.

When we stopped to think about it it used up a lot of time, not the actual machine time ( about 1 hour, but when you added the time spent checking and waiting for a machine, the time to and from you cabin, the folding and hanging... all added up to several hours out of the day.. Hours you paid for to enjoy the cruise .

Hours that we could have been at Trivia, Art, sunning, or a host of other options... When we figgured it all we saved almost nothing doing out our own laundry.

On as recent 3 week cruise we spent maybe $150 sending out laundry, which was returned then next day, on hangers, neat and clean and hung up... so $50 a week... seemed like a great investment... thats like only 3 martinis a week....

Its a personal choice,, it you like doing it your self thats fine or if you think you'd rather save a few dollars ok too... We just found it penny wise yet pound foolish for us. as time is more valuable to us than money

Good analysis, IMHO.