Received a $50 Spa Gift Card from My Steward, but...

abisha

A few weeks ago on the Magic, my steward gave me a $50 spa gift card for no apparent reason, which was very nice. He cleverly placed it on a towel animal, so I would be surprised when I returned to my cabin one evening.

Anyways, I really didn't want to have a spa treatment as I really didn't have time, so I figured I would use it for a product of some type.

I really didn't need any moisturizers or lotions as I have tons of those at home, so I decided I could just get a shampoo from the salon.

The person at the salon showed me a couple of types of shampoos (not much of a selection), so I opted for one that cost $24 and said I would take 2. Nope...no can do. Apparently the fine print (which I didn't see at first) at bottom of the gift card, says you can only get ONE product per $50 gift card of up to $50 (vs. multiple products totalling $50).:confused:

I could have selected a body lotion for $54 (or even the one for $74) and paid the difference out of pocket. Or a spa treatment worth over $100 and paid difference out of pocket, but I couldn't get two shampoos totally $48 on a $50 gift card. My thought was that they don't want to deplete their stock. But if that was the case, why gift out gift cards to begin with?

I encountered a few other passengers who also got the gift card and said that just doesn't make sense. Why bother giving a gift card that says $50 on it and you cannot use the full $50 no matter how many products you want? It really should be re-worded to say something like "you are entitled to one product or service in our salon/spa for up to $50. If over $50, you are responsible for remaining balance"...or something to that effect. I don't think it should even be called a gift card.

I just wanted to get that out there so others will know. I am still appreciative of my steward thinking of me (I rarely get anything for free). And this is a good reminder to always read the fine print.

And by the way, I would never buy a $24 bottle of shampoo (it was a relatively small bottle, and no difference in what my hair looks like vs. what I buy at home for a few bucks).;)

Edited by abisha

I throw all mine in the trash, makes a good liner for the can . Usually it's an invitation to spend more money while listening to a sales pitch .

Do you get a lot of gift certificates on your cruises? Are you just thinking about the "offers" and "fliers" the steward leaves you along with the Fun Times left in your cabin daily? I throw those out too. This was different. It was a small little card (size of a credit card) that said "$50 GIFT CERTIFICATE".

When I walked in, no one pressured me to buy anything. They were so busy, and barely had time to assist me. I had to wait about 15 minutes. I just walked in and said I have a gift certificate and want to use it for a product in the salon, and they assisted me and off I went.

It does sound like a gimmick because most people would use it toward the cost of an otherwise way too expensive spa treatment.

That said, I've never gotten one on Carnival or NCL or RC - so I might just take advantage of one if I got it.

And I'd certainly find something to buy for under $50. The OP never said if she got the $24 shampoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The spa services may be a better use of the gift card if you have the time. Here's a sample of spa services many of which cost less than the value of the gift certificate and the Deep Bikini Waxing comes in right at $50:

Bliss Poetic WAXING Prices

"Brow" $30

"Up/Chin" $15

"Half Arm" $35

"Underarm" $24

"Leg" [half & full] $40 or $90

"Back" $65

"Chest" $55

"Bikini" $35

"Deep Bikini" $50

My daughter and son in law got gift cards to the spa. The room steward said it was because they were celebrating birthdays. They already had massages booked and were allowed to use their cards toward the price. So these are different than the flyers to advertise services.

The spa services may be a better use of the gift card if you have the time. Here's a sample of spa services many of which cost less than the value of the gift certificate and the Deep Bikini Waxing comes in right at $50:

Bliss Poetic WAXING Prices

"Brow" $30

"Up/Chin" $15

"Half Arm" $35

"Underarm" $24

"Leg" [half & full] $40 or $90

"Back" $65

"Chest" $55

"Bikini" $35

"Deep Bikini" $50

I'm a guy. That $50 "gift" isn't going to cover the cost of waxing my back or chest. Looks like the "Deep Bikini" me for me. :eek:

It does sound like a gimmick because most people would use it toward the cost of an otherwise way too expensive spa treatment.

That said, I've never gotten one on Carnival or NCL or RC - so I might just take advantage of one if I got it.

And I'd certainly find something to buy for under $50. The OP never said if she got the $24 shampoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I did get just the one $24 shampoo.

how about getting a $100 massage for $50, seems like a deal to me

Not bad, but I had other things planned during the cruise and didn't really have time which is why I opted to just go in and get a product.

Our steward gave me one last week for my birthday which is actually this week. I got a shampoo and haircut and the stylist threw in a beard trim for free. Didn't use the whole 50 but did more than I would have without it. (wouldn't have gone near the spa without the gift card lol)

Yeah they showed me other things I could get but they weren't pushy about it and accepted my polite "no thank-you" and carried on with what I wanted. They wouldn't let me transfer it to my wife either which was fine BUT she might have gotten more done than I did so they kinda missed an opportunity there.

Of course the the whole point is to get you up there and try to sell you other stuff but you don't have to get the other stuff.

And it's still nice they acknowledge you - I didn't even put anything about my birthday in our booking info like I did in July for our anniversary. They gave us a several gift cards then - 25$ off a bottle of wine in the restaurant (we used it in the steakhouse to great effect), 50 bucks at the spa (which wife used towards getting her hair done which she was going to do for elegant night anyway so that was awesome), free picture at pixels.

I gotta admit, I didn't mind having someone else wash my hair and massage my scalp. It was very relaxing. Since I've only been to a hair salon twice since 1998 I kinda forget how nice it is.

Gee. People can come up with reasons to complain about a free gift.

OP, you could have just gotten the one bottle of shampoo and moved on with your life.

Yes, I got one bottle of shampoo. I've had no problem moving on with my life (not sure why you think I didn't over a gift card..lol). I was just letting people know that you need to read the fine print. Never given a gift card where I couldn't use the full amount on a product, so bringing that to people's attention...that's all.

To me it is useless and we get it on every cruise.

It is always in my name and DW cannot use it.

I use it to help fill up trash can.

Wow! You get one all the time? Lucky you! I've been on a bunch of Carnival cruises but never got one until now. If I ever did get another one, I'll probably use it towards an actual spa treatment of some type. I always say I want to do a spa treatment on the ship, but it seems I can never get around to it.

Edited by abisha

I received my for my birthday last February and used it to by a jar of Elemis Lime Y Ginger Salt Glow. It only cost me $15.00 out of pocket which made me a happy camper. I will gladly except any gift card that my cabin attendant is willing to give me.

BUT, thanks for the heads up on the fine print. Like you I did not take time to read it but was lucky that it worked out for me.

Wow! You get one all the time? Lucky you! I've been on a bunch of Carnival cruises but never got one until now. If I ever did get another one, I'll probably use it towards an actual spa treatment of some type. I always say I want to do a spa treatment on the ship, but it seems I can never get around to it.

Last 3-4 cruises believe we always found one in our cabin.

I for one would love to get a $50 spa credit in my cabin and would definitely use in for a massage or facial. Seeing that I'll be paying just over 1.38 cents on the USD it would go a long way towards defraying the cost. This will be my third Carnival cruise and I'm told I will get a free bottle of water. LOL! :)

Last 3-4 cruises believe we always found one in our cabin.