Tabletop Christmas tree--Real or fake required?

LadyShiva

For a Caribbean Christmas cruise out of Miami, any way to find out if we are required to do an artificial Christmas tree? Kiddo knows there are trees on the ship, but she wants a tabletop tree for the room.

I've tried looking in the following places for answers:

- Port of Miami website

- NCL website

- US Customs and Border Protection

Thanks in advance!

I don't know what's allowed or not, but my kids are still fairly young (11 and 9) and I'm worried it won't feel like Christmas on the ship. So I bought a small tabletop artificial tree from Home Depot that I'm planning to take. It should fit on the counter of our mini-suite room, I hope. And I've bought a string of battery operated lights for it as well. I figure it should be just enough to make our room feel festive without going over the top or taking up too much space in the luggage. Hoping the cruise doesn't mind it coming onboard with us!

For a Caribbean Christmas cruise out of Miami, any way to find out if we are required to do an artificial Christmas tree? Kiddo knows there are trees on the ship, but she wants a tabletop tree for the room.

I've tried looking in the following places for answers:

- Port of Miami website

- NCL website

- US Customs and Border Protection

Thanks in advance!

I would not take a chance on a real tree since you don't know what restrictions there might be against bringing plants onboard. Also, as pointed out, caring for it could be a problem.

Also, how would you dispose of it after your cruise? I doubt that your cabin steward would like that responsibility. So, bring an artificial tree -- and take it off the ship with you. Don't plan on donating it to the crew unless one of them has specifically been willing to accept it. Their space is limited.

Don't think you could get a live tree through security. Has to go through X-ray machine. Small fake one or nothing.

Time for daughter to find out you can't always get what you want.

Don

OP did not say daughter wanted 'real' tree, just that she wanted a tabletop tree.

We have taken a small, like 1.5 or 2 foot prelit tree, I'm sure a real tree would not be allowed. We also took a couple of strings of battery powered lights and our stockings and hung them all in the cabin. The ship was decorated and Santa made an appearance and took photos one evening

OP did not say daughter wanted 'real' tree, just that she wanted a tabletop tree.

Thank you--exactly correct. Amazon has nicer tabletop real trees than the Charlie Brown rejects that are left to order. I had already checked with our hotel that they would receive the Amazon shipment.

Thank you to the poster who mentioned Home Depot--I was thinking Walgreens or CVS to pick up a battery operated lighted one.

Never ceases to amaze me the parenting assumptions that get posted. I am sure it is karma for my "I would never do that when I have kids!" ;)

If you could find a small enough real tree you could probably bring it on board, but and artificial one will be much easier, both to get on board, but also to care for when you are on the ship.

I don't know for sure but it would seem to me a real tree would be akin to bringing fruits/vegetables/plants on board typically a no no plus could be seen as a fire hazard, I've seen a suite with 2 full size artificial trees in it, not sure how they managed that!

OP, if you are really thinking of bringing a live tree, you should call NCL for correct information. I would say it would not be allowed because of the risk of fire.

Calling NCL will be no help since those phone reps would have no idea of that.

They only book reservations and they often don't know answers to ordinary rules. This one is not even ordinary.

Thank you--exactly correct. Amazon has nicer tabletop real trees than the Charlie Brown rejects that are left to order. I had already checked with our hotel that they would receive the Amazon shipment.

Thank you to the poster who mentioned Home Depot--I was thinking Walgreens or CVS to pick up a battery operated lighted one.

Never ceases to amaze me the parenting assumptions that get posted. I am sure it is karma for my "I would never do that when I have kids!" ;)

The tree I got from HD, the battery lights I found at Pier One. Just wanted to clarify since I don't know if HD carries those or not. The Pier One strings work great! We have them around our house (inside) as part of our decorating.

The tree I got from HD, the battery lights I found at Pier One. Just wanted to clarify since I don't know if HD carries those or not. The Pier One strings work great! We have them around our house (inside) as part of our decorating.

:) I understood. William-Sonoma had plantable tabletop trees with beachy ornaments, but they were only available for shipping immediately after Thanksgiving, which wouldn't work for this cruise and the week after. I think the $20 of twinkle lights + remote will be the best fit for us.

Thank you so much for the pointer to HD and Pier one. :)

Just buy and take de little tree (artificial) on ship with you and find a place to put it. period. Decorate it. Leave it up during the duration of cruise, and then leave it behind.

We have done several Xmas cruises and each time have taken a small fake tree on board with decorations and lights.

One year our DS was 3, I got a short string of M&M lights and put it up around the vanity mirror. Guess what? I still have them, 19 years later, and have been putting them up in my office cubicle each year!

Op's phrasing was if they were to do a tree, were they 'required' to do an artificial tree... if they were to do a tabletop tree and were not 'required' to do artificial, the only other option I can think of is a real one. I interpreted that the same way as the many posters addressing the logistics of bringing a real tree on. It may have been a mis-phrase by op if that wasn't the question meant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Op's phrasing was if they were to do a tree, were they 'required' to do an artificial tree... if they were to do a tabletop tree and were not 'required' to do artificial, the only other option I can think of is a real one. I interpreted that the same way as the many posters addressing the logistics of bringing a real tree on. It may have been a mis-phrase by op if that wasn't the question meant.

Did you happen to read the title of the thread? I did say tabletop twice, with this ending to catch people at the beginning AND the end: "...she wants a tabletop tree for the room"

I have even mentioned where I was able to buy plantable table top trees!

Edited by LadyShiva

Any live cut Christmas tree or bough must be certified as being sprayed with fire retardant (I know, I had to check and keep the certificates for all the ship's decorations each year). I'm a little fuzzy on this one, but I seem to recall that any living plant had to be certified as well, for sterilized soil. As I recall, cut flower arrangements were okay, but living plants had to be from an approved supplier.

This really falls under a couple of jurisdictions. One is the Agriculture Inspectors of CBP (and I think this is a cross-jurisdictional thing with Dept of Agriculture as well), and the ship's class society as far as the fire protection. I'm not sure if this is covered under SOLAS or not, I can have a look tomorrow.

Did you happen to read the title of the thread? I did say tabletop twice, with this ending to catch people at the beginning AND the end: "...she wants a tabletop tree for the room"

I have even mentioned where I was able to buy plantable table top trees!

Yes, I noticed that after I posted but when it was too late to edit

Any live cut Christmas tree or bough must be certified as being sprayed with fire retardant (I know, I had to check and keep the certificates for all the ship's decorations each year). I'm a little fuzzy on this one, but I seem to recall that any living plant had to be certified as well, for sterilized soil. As I recall, cut flower arrangements were okay, but living plants had to be from an approved supplier.

This really falls under a couple of jurisdictions. One is the Agriculture Inspectors of CBP (and I think this is a cross-jurisdictional thing with Dept of Agriculture as well), and the ship's class society as far as the fire protection. I'm not sure if this is covered under SOLAS or not, I can have a look tomorrow.

Thank you--the SOIL and fire hazard is what differentiates between floral arrangement and real tree! I suspected you would know jurisdictional lines on this question!

Thank you so much for the information. It was driving me batty to not see clear requirements online.

We are going on a Christmas cruise with my 6 y/o and I bought a small fake tree in Target. They also had mini ornaments and lights and even a mini star for the top. I'm trying to keep things to a minimum, as we are flying to Miami. I also brought a stocking and a removable hook for the room, but that's about it for room decorations.

We are going on a Christmas cruise with my 6 y/o and I bought a small fake tree in Target. They also had mini ornaments and lights and even a mini star for the top. I'm trying to keep things to a minimum, as we are flying to Miami. I also brought a stocking and a removable hook for the room, but that's about it for room decorations.

:) How cute! Those are going to be wonderful! I love watching twinkle lights and cuddling up with hot cocoa. In Denver, we get a lot of snowy Christmases--it will be a nice change to have a warm Christmas this year!