Allure is Docked backwards today...why?

Maybe they have to do a lifeboat drill on the starboard side, or some other type of service that makes the port side docking more convenient. It does not happen often, but I've seen it before.

Edited by clarea

We sailed on the Allure this way once and it was awesome to pull straight out and be on deck 14 watching the journey out to sea.

Of course any journey out to sea would be great as I watch the snow fall and fall and fall.

Hope The Allure backs in next August again.

Safe travels.

I did the All Access tour last week on Harmony. On the bridge the officer took us to the port side "wing" of the bridge and used that console there for the lecture and Q&A. She said most of the functionality was accessible from there, from the center, and from the other console on the starboard wing. They use the console on the "wing" (my word, wonder what the correct term is) primarily during docking.

She then went on to say that they have been primarily docking Harmony on the starboard side, as was the case this cruise. But every so often they will reverse sides, park backwards if you will, port side to dock, simply to test all the equipment on the other side every so often.

By the way, it was surprising how open the bridge was. That ship is so wide, and the equipment so centralized, that 70-80% of the floor space on the bridge was open carpeting.