Explorer Culinary Center Classes

golfguyhhi

For anyone who has taken one or more of the classes in the Explorer Culinary Center, would you please share your thoughts on the classes? Was the instructor well-versed in the dishes to be prepared? Did you enjoy the class? If you only took one class, would you sign up for another, if given the chance? If you took more than one, were the subsequent sessions as enjoyable as the first?

The reason I ask is we just got off Riviera's T/A and had scheduled 5 CC classes after enjoying one with Chef Noelle on Riviera's holiday cruise 2015/2016. To say we were disappointed would be an understatement. A new instructor had just been brought on-staff, and she was floundering as she hadn't cooked (or taught) many of the dishes. She was assisted by a male instructor who may have had a few cruises and classes under his belt. He jumped in and talked over the woman, criticized some of her actions which ended up making her hesitant to even make valid points. He had a loud, strident voice and didn't make himself very pleasant to listen to.

We ended up cancelling our final class.

We have 4 classes scheduled for the Explorer LA-Miami 1/16 cruise and we're just a little apprehensive.

I would also appreciate learning what items were taught. Once took a one week, high end cooking course in France and they taught crème caramel & other things that all registrants already knew. Then there was the Seabourn chef who taught the arduous and who-would-make-it 'tomato water'.

While we have taken classes on Oceania and did three culinary excursions with Chef Noelle last month, we have not taken a class on Regent's Explorer. Chef Noelle is on vacation now but will be back by the time we board the Explorer again in March.

In terms of what they offer, below are the classes offered for our upcoming March cruise:

• BRUNCH FAVORITES

Who doesn’t love brunch? Too often we revert to the “same old” for brunch, so we’ve gathered the trendiest recipes to put a new twist in your brunch repertoire. The class also includes our version of a fabulous brunch cocktail buffet.

• GONE FISHING

As we are all adding fish to our diet, we often make that choice when dining out…as opposed to home. This class is a master level instruction on eight techniques for fish cookery; sauté, shallow poach, deep poach, pan fry, curing, ceviche, grilling and baking. Learn these crafts through your hands-on work and from the lively demonstrations by your Chef Instructor. Upon completion of this class, you will be proficient in fish cookery and boast a new confidence in your ability to prepare great fish dishes at home.

• EVERYTHING FRENCH

As the cuisine to which all others aspire, this class is designed around classic French technique. Learn the difference between French bistro and haute cuisine, as well as explore the various regional cuisines of France. This class focuses on classic techniques designed to elevate your kitchen skills at home. Sample two French wines and learn the art of pairing French food and wine

• AT HOME ITALIAN

In Italy, no dish is more symbolic of home cooking than pasta! In this class, learn how to make pasta from scratch and surprise yourself at how simple and quick it really is. Master the fundamentals of great pasta cookery, whether using fresh or dried pasta. Then, discover the art of pairing the ideal sauce with the proper pasta…all while enjoying a glass of fine Italian wine. This class also provides insight on how to buy, store and cook with extra virgin olive oil.

• HEALTHY KITCHEN

There is no need to sacrifice flavor when cooking healthy…and this class aims to prove that very point! Explore the Mediterranean diet - reputed to be the healthiest on the planet - and learn how to bring more vegetables, grains, legumes and seasonings into your cooking. The secrets of extra virgin olive oil will be highlighted and you'll learn the art of “healthifying” traditional favorites. Many techniques and recipes for this class are used in the Canyon Ranch® cooking school and spas.

• THE PERFECT PAIR

As luxury travelers, we indulge in fine wines paired with delicious food, which is the main focus of this class. Whether you are interested in learning how to properly select the right wine for your preferred dish or are searching for the right meal to pair with your absolute favorite wine, this class will expand your horizons. Your curriculum includes cooking several recipes and then pairing them with wines to explore how different varietals complement the dishes.

TC2:

The March TA also has:

Majestic Mediterranean (which we've signed up for) - Allow your palate to explore the cuisines of the Mediterranean while mastering signature dishes selected from Italy, France, Greece, Turkey, and Spain. Learn why the Mediterranean diet is celebrated as both healthy and abundant in flavor. Sample unique wines from the Mediterranean and taste for yourself why they are perfect pairings for the foods of this majestic cuisine.

and

Teatime at the Abbey - Take a step back in time and enjoy teatime favorites inspired by the acclaimed PBS series, Downton Abbey. Learn how to assemble both a sweet and savory teatime party complete with bubbly cocktails, as well as how to make an English scone and brew a proper pot of English tea. Bring home several new recipes for delicious 'finger foods' for your next luncheon, tea or 'happy hour' cocktail party. And be amazed at the variety and flavor of the recipes intended to bridge the hours between lunch and dinner.

You may have missed these because they are on the same day as some you listed.

TC2:

The March TA also has:

Majestic Mediterranean (which we've signed up for) - Allow your palate to explore the cuisines of the Mediterranean while mastering signature dishes selected from Italy, France, Greece, Turkey, and Spain. Learn why the Mediterranean diet is celebrated as both healthy and abundant in flavor. Sample unique wines from the Mediterranean and taste for yourself why they are perfect pairings for the foods of this majestic cuisine.

and

Teatime at the Abbey - Take a step back in time and enjoy teatime favorites inspired by the acclaimed PBS series, Downton Abbey. Learn how to assemble both a sweet and savory teatime party complete with bubbly cocktails, as well as how to make an English scone and brew a proper pot of English tea. Bring home several new recipes for delicious 'finger foods' for your next luncheon, tea or 'happy hour' cocktail party. And be amazed at the variety and flavor of the recipes intended to bridge the hours between lunch and dinner.

You may have missed these because they are on the same day as some you listed.

Thanks for adding the ones that I missed. My DH may be interested in the "Teatime at the Abbey" since he's British.

I also want to mention that, unlike Oceania's kitchen where two people share each cooking station, on the Explorer everyone has their own station).

Now that I've been home all of a week and 3 days, I'm starting to crave our return to the Explorer. It is going to be a great cruise!

Greetings,

We are on the December 28, 2016 Miami to Los Angeles Grand Canal Crossing.

We have the following classes reserved and will report back.

VIVA FIESTA

If you love Mexican food, but are reluctant to cook it at home, then this class is for you! Taking inspiration from Spanish tapas, this class provides a robust menu for a tasty Mexican snacking party, including a lesson on how to make the perfect Mexican cocktails.

LIGHT MY FIRE

We’ve been cooking with fire since the dawn of humankind, but in our modern life we have not exactly perfected it. This class focuses on the mastery of high heat cooking, whether on a grill or stovetop. Learn the secrets of perfect grilling and sautéing, and how to improve the flavor and consistency of your favorite meats. Enhance your ability to cook proteins to your desired internal temperature, whether rare or well done.

THE BEAUTIFUL BIRD

Add new recipes to your repertoire and learn the secrets of perfect chicken every time! This technique-focused class allows you to master the art of grilling, roasting and sauté. You will also learn perfect side dishes to elevate the simple bird to a new level of elegant dining. Enjoy a white and red wine sample and taste how both can pair perfectly with the beautiful bird.

MAJESTIC MEDITERRANEAN

Allow your palate to explore the cuisines of the Mediterranean while mastering signature dishes selected from Italy, France, Greece, Turkey, and Spain. Learn why the Mediterranean diet is celebrated as both healthy and abundant in flavor. Sample unique wines from the Mediterranean and taste for yourself why they are perfect pairings for the foods of this majestic cuisine.

GONE FISHING

As we are all adding fish to our diet, we often make that choice when dining out…as opposed to home. This class is a master level instruction on eight techniques for fish cookery; sauté, shallow poach, deep poach, pan fry, curing, ceviche, grilling and baking. Learn these crafts through your hands-on work and from the lively demonstrations by your Chef Instructor. Upon completion of this class, you will be proficient in fish cookery and boast a new confidence in your ability to prepare great fish dishes at home.

Hope we get Chef Kelly on the New Year's Panama Canal cruise!

Re the above post "Thanks for adding the ones that I missed. My DH may be interested in the "Teatime at the Abbey" since he's British."

Wouldn't that be bringing coal to Newcastle? (;>))

Hope we get Chef Kelly on the New Year's Panama Canal cruise!

Re the above post "Thanks for adding the ones that I missed. My DH may be interested in the "Teatime at the Abbey" since he's British."

Wouldn't that be bringing coal to Newcastle? (;>))

You're probably right:)

I met the woman that is currently the Chef of the Culinary Kitchen (do not recall her name). She joined the ship two weeks ago and is really nice. Chef Kelly is spending most of her time on Oceania's Marina and Riviera.

Edited by Travelcat2

I took several classes with Noelle and Chef Kathrine Kelly last summer - very good and lots of fun. I also did several tours with them. I enjoyed all of it.

This has probably been discussed more than once, and we are sorry to repeat if so, but does Regent offer a complimentary casual shopping with the chef time when possible? We enjoyed that on Seabourn.

My wife and I are on the Baltic Odyssey next summer and one of the classes is the fish class. We both enjoy cooking but by no means are "master level" chefs. Will this class be too difficult for the average cook? It really looks like an interesting class. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Golfguy:

The Boss and I took the Med cooking class onboard the Explorer and I can attest to the fact that we wished we had booked more classes since we really enjoyed Chef Noelle. The classes were designed for the average cook (me) and they were presented at an easy pace. Don't worry about the end product since they served a fine Rose that made everything taste better.

Z and TB

Golfguy:

The Boss and I took the Med cooking class onboard the Explorer and I can attest to the fact that we wished we had booked more classes since we really enjoyed Chef Noelle. The classes were designed for the average cook (me) and they were presented at an easy pace. Don't worry about the end product since they served a fine Rose that made everything taste better.

Z and TB

Thanks Z. We really enjoyed Noelle's work last year and hope she's on in January, but an earlier post indicates she's leaving on vacation and won't be back until March. What makes me uneasy is that the woman we had on Riviera last month said she was hired to be the 'substitute instructor' for when the regular instructors go on leave. This doesn't bode well.

Since you were on Explorer on the TA just now, can I ask you a question (or two) about some things that might brighten my outlook?

I've seen reference to Bingo and Team Trivia - can you confirm those 2 activities? And I wonder if the CD, Social Director or Asst CD played Scategories and/or Brainteaser Trivia either in the AM just before lunch (maybe at 11 AM) and/or after dinner at, say, 8:45 in one of the lounge/bars?

Nolan Dean, the CD on Riviera handled both those competitions and he was just so darn intelligent, funny, clever, and pleasant that we got hooked and played every one after we discovered them (and him).

Thanks!!!!!

We were on the same cruise as "Z" (he is as funny and nice in person as he is on Cruise Critic but don't tell anyone that I said that ;) )

Yes - can confirm that Trivia and Bingo are played on the ship. Trivia is at 4:30 p.m. in the Observation Lounge. I'm not quite sure if Bingo follows Trivia but I seem to remember that it does.

I have never heard of Scategories and/or Brainteaser being played onboard. On sea days they do play other games (not board games - more like bean bag toss and games of that nature. They must be a lot of fun as we heard a lot of laughter from the groups playing.

In terms of Noelle being on vacation, the woman that is replacing her for two months is really nice - we would be happy to have her as Culinary Chef on our cruise.

No problem. TC2 is on the money regarding activities, but I think that Bingo was held earlier in the day. Most activities included Regent points as prizes which can be redeemed at the end of the cruise for hats, shirts, etc. The bottom line is that there is always something to do. You can even attend the "Margarita and Bloody Mary Society" meetings held daily at 1100 at the pool bar.

Z and TB

No problem. TC2 is on the money regarding activities, but I think that Bingo was held earlier in the day. Most activities included Regent points as prizes which can be redeemed at the end of the cruise for hats, shirts, etc. The bottom line is that there is always something to do. You can even attend the "Margarita and Bloody Mary Society" meetings held daily at 1100 at the pool bar.

Z and TB

Absolutely loved the "Margarita and Bloody Mary Society" meetings that my DH still does not completely know about (at least he doesn't know how much I imbibed due to many people that encouraged me:D )

P.S. Definitely off topic but....... "Z", you said that the Amazon is now on your bucket list. Since Regent doesn't offer it in 2018, is there any possible chance that you two could do it in 2017 (November?) I know that you're still working but this is a special occasion. Mudhen will be onboard and we have no problem nagging TNR to be onboard as well.

Edited by Travelcat2

Absolutely loved the "Margarita and Bloody Mary Society" meetings that my DH still does not completely know about (at least he doesn't know how much I imbibed due to many people that encouraged me:D )

P.S. Definitely off topic but....... "Z", you said that the Amazon is now on your bucket list. Since Regent doesn't offer it in 2018, is there any possible chance that you two could do it in 2017 (November?) I know that you're still working but this is a special occasion. Mudhen will be onboard and we have no problem nagging TNR to be onboard as well.

I wish, but we already have a cruise booked for May 2017 and I am under the control of the two slave drivers in my life: time and money. That would be some cruise, though. I can picture us at our daily meeting sipping on ice-cold drinks while swatting bugs at the pool bar.

Z and TB

TC2:

The March TA also has:

Majestic Mediterranean

and

Teatime at the Abbey

I managed to miss another offering on our TA in March:

Caribe - The Caribbean is a celebration of cuisines from all over the world. This class highlights the fresh ingredients and distinctive flavors of this cuisine with recipes that you will make over and over again at home. Learn the art of roasting spicy nuts and enjoy making a Caribbean cocktail to wash them down.

The lesson (I) learned is when you are checking the offerings for your cruise, be sure to notice if there is more than one title of the left. The web site opens the first offering by default, and it is easy to not see the second title behind the first description.

Took Chef Annie's Brunch course yesterday. She is everything I respect and expect in a Chef. Patient until "times up", Instructional until "you're not listening" and more than capable of pulling it all together in the end. This ship has lots of diversity in it's guests. A Chef with 2 hours to teach what should amount to 90 minutes of focused instruction may or may not have wiggle room in her demo's or instruction. There are the "chatty", the "distracted" and of course the always popular "know it alls". And folks, at this age demographic your are smack in the middle of "old dog new tricks". But by in large, the majority of folks are/were mouths closed ears open. The culinary kitchen onboard Explorer rivals any I have ever seen. Really really top notch. And I you simply enjoy cooking or are trying to up your game.. this is a great and scenic way to do so. My compliments to Chef Annie and her teaching.