FOUND: Wedding Ring in Safe

JLODK

I have the opposite experience. I left my college ring in the stateroom on checkout day. Laura and I had two cabins so I took my bag to her room so we could go to breakfast. My cabin steward found the ring and took it to GS's, then notified Laura's cabin steward of what she had done. Luckily we ran into Laura's cabin steward after breakfast and he informed us of what had transpired.

I went to GS's desk and got my ring back. GS officer did ask what the inscription on the band was. My name. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear of a good experience.

I have the opposite experience. I left my college ring in the stateroom on checkout day. Laura and I had two cabins so I took my bag to her room so we could go to breakfast. My cabin steward found the ring and took it to GS's, then notified Laura's cabin steward of what she had done. Luckily we ran into Laura's cabin steward after breakfast and he informed us of what had transpired.

I went to GS's desk and got my ring back. GS officer did ask what the inscription on the band was. My name. :rolleyes:

The difference between your experience and Bob's is that you were still on the ship and could actually go to guest services. No telling where that ring might be if you hadn't noticed it was missing until after you got home.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The difference between your experience and Bob's is that you were still on the ship and could actually go to guest services. No telling where that ring might be if you hadn't noticed it was missing until after you got home.

Differences in experiences that have been reported are that if something is left and not turned into guest services then it might not be seen again. If you left a ring and it was not turned in it might never be recovered. But if a passenger or crew member does turn it in to guest services they log the item in. If a passenger or crew member does not turn it in they are stealing it. Taking it off the ship where it was lost even with the best of intention of finding the owner is bad. Guest Services has a procedure to log lost items if they get them. I have turned in items and seen them log them. If they don't get to guest relations is where they become lost forever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well at least it made it to guest services. It had already been recorded in a log of found items. I had to sign off on it. So you are saying the fine folks at GS's have sticky fingers?

Well at least it made it to guest services. It had already been recorded in a log of found items. I had to sign off on it. So you are saying the fine folks at GS's have sticky fingers?

Why on Earth would you think that :confused: I implied no such thing. :mad:

I know that plenty of things have been left on the ship and never reunited with the owner despite knowing EXACTLY where the item was left. So you are saying that if it doesn't make it to Guest Services then the cabin stewards have sticky fingers? :rolleyes:

I think laziness or incompetence on the part of ships and corporate staff is more likely than criminal activity. I have certainly had a run in or two with both kinds at the guest services desk as well as once with the worst cabin steward at sea. I don't know who is responsible for the lost and found things once they are sent off the ship but whoever it is probably has regular duties and that's just something extra for them to do so they aren't very motivated to go the extra mile to make sure people get their things back.

Why on Earth would you think that :confused: I implied no such thing. :mad:

I know that plenty of things have been left on the ship and never reunited with the owner despite knowing EXACTLY where the item was left. So you are saying that if it doesn't make it to Guest Services then the cabin stewards have sticky fingers? :rolleyes:

I think laziness or incompetence on the part of ships and corporate staff is more likely than criminal activity. I have certainly had a run in or two with both kinds at the guest services desk as well as once with the worst cabin steward at sea. I don't know who is responsible for the lost and found things once they are sent off the ship but whoever it is probably has regular duties and that's just something extra for them to do so they aren't very motivated to go the extra mile to make sure people get their things back.

I was just replying to what you wrote.

No telling where that ring might be if you hadn't noticed it was missing until after you got home.

I had already said it was at guest services when you wrote that reply. Once logged in at Guest Services who else would have access to it. :confused:

On a different occasion I left my camera in the theatre. A fellow passenger recognized me and said they had taken it to GS's. I went there to retrieve it. It was also logged in and I had to sign. My experience with GS's is usually pretty good.

Edited by John&LaLa

Did you both get double points???

3fe8ae7c4c74b5ace44ee69f1ba197f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got double, Laura got triple (JS)

Too bad you couldn't add them together..... if it is money spent, then one would think that would be possible. I think the new system should be by dollars spent, on everything... cabins, drinks, specialty dinning, royal excursions, Park West, and even Tips..... LOL

Edited by troykahack

Why? They look after the cabins no one else does and if anything goes missing what are we to think.

There are numerous possibilities. Here are just a few:

1. This entire thread is based on the OP finding an item and taking it home. I'm quite sure that happens more often than you think. In this case, the OP was honest and successful in returning the item to its owner, but others are more inclined to follow the Finders Keepers philosophy.

2. There are other staff members who access cabins, particularly on turnover day, including the ones checking every cabin for water bottle and/or minibar consumption.

3. Items that get turned in to the lost and found do not always get returned to their owners for a myriad of reasons.

4. An item going missing doesn't equate to an item stolen. These boards have lots of stories of people not being able to find an item upon their return home, only to discover it in the pocket of a jacket or similar story months later.

5. There are other stories of people having "lost" items during a cruise but having subsequently found them in the garbage where they were accidentally dropped. Had that happened on disembarkation day and the passenger left before realizing the item had gone missing, it would have been thrown out with the garbage.

The stewards aren't perfect, and I'm sure that there is the occasional light-finger one among them. But to suggest that as a group they are responsible for all missing items is preposterous.

I did not suggest after we all shower extra tips onto our cabin stewards they as a group are responsible for all missing items but as we sometimes make good friends with them the least they could do is if a valuable looking item including for a friend who left all their paid for cruise photos and never got them back make an effort to leave these items at lost property.It might be room service who on another thread get extra charges on peoples accounts for mini bar items they did not purchase.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Our friends had over 300 dollars worth of cruise photos which when they rang no one had handed in and were told cabin stewards throw away anything unless it is a very valuable item.They gave their cabin steward 150 dollars on top of prepaid tips as it was their 25 th wedding anniversary and they had 3 balcony cabins booked together and same cabin steward and he knew it was a special occasion.No excuse as these were no use to anybody else and they were distraught.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

So some of the posters here think they would do better than lost in found? Taking an item off the ship that does not belong to you is pretty close to theft no matter what your intention.

Suppose you find a wallet on the floor in Walmart. No ID in it, but lots of cash. Assuming you are honest, are you really going to take it out of the store rather than turning it in?

Are you serious - turn a wallet with no ID and lots of cash over to a Walmart employee? I would probably turn it over to the store manager with a follow-up memo to their district manager and also corporate, but not just the lost and found and I would be sure to let them know that I was doing that. I would lake a photo of the wallet and it's contents also and I would follow up on what happened to the wallet.

Edited by mek

• 1 year later...

Jumping on this thread since Google knows about it: my wife left her wedding ring in the room safe on the Harmony of the Seas. Our cruise was Feb 17-24 and we were on Deck 6. We filed a lost item report with Royal Caribbean but they haven't found it yet, so if this reaches anyone who might know about the ring, please let me know.

Jumping on this thread since Google knows about it: my wife left her wedding ring in the room safe on the Harmony of the Seas. Our cruise was Feb 17-24 and we were on Deck 6. We filed a lost item report with Royal Caribbean but they haven't found it yet, so if this reaches anyone who might know about the ring, please let me know.

Good luck, i hope someone responds for you.

You might try the role call for the cruise leaving after yours. Maybe whomever had your cabin has info. Good luck.