Jade out of Southampton

dalgirl

got it - hotel booked - thanks!

Could you share with me which one as we are also sailing out of Southampton this summer. Also, which hotel did you book....we have not booked that yet??

Thanks!!

Edited by nissach

Could you share with me which one as we are also sailing out of Southampton this summer. Also, which hotel did you book....we have not booked that yet??

Thanks!!

I've booked parking for our Jade cruise and the confirmation for that says QE2.

I've never used that terminal before, but I believe that it is the one which is furthest away from the West Quay area where there are quite a few hotel options.

Had it been one of the other terminals then I would have said to consider some specific hotels if you planned to walk to the ship (which is very easy to the likes of Ocean and City Terminals, but I think that QE2 is best done by taxi anyway, so I wouldn't base my hotel around location as much as price/quality.

I would have a look on a booking site and see what best meets your needs on that basis. The West Quay area had quite a few choices, is not far from the town centre and railway station and would be a cheap taxi ride to the ship, so somewhere around there would be good.

I've booked parking for our Jade cruise and the confirmation for that says QE2.

I've never used that terminal before, but I believe that it is the one which is furthest away from the West Quay area where there are quite a few hotel options.

Had it been one of the other terminals then I would have said to consider some specific hotels if you planned to walk to the ship (which is very easy to the likes of Ocean and City Terminals, but I think that QE2 is best done by taxi anyway, so I wouldn't base my hotel around location as much as price/quality.

I would have a look on a booking site and see what best meets your needs on that basis. The West Quay area had quite a few choices, is not far from the town centre and railway station and would be a cheap taxi ride to the ship, so somewhere around there would be good.

Thanks for all the great advice!!

You can check the Southampton port schedule, this will give you the information. In the past NCL have docked at the City terminal. berth101

They have actually used other terminals as well. I've sailed out of Southampton three times with NCL, twice from City and once from Ocean.

I haven't been able to find the Jade on the port schedule, but as said earlier, my parking confirmation states QE2.

Edited by KeithJenner

All of the port side hotels are very close to the ports (all of which are pretty much in a row within a mile from one end to the other)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Whilst this is basically correct, the location does matter if you want to walk to the terminal.

City Terminal is a very easy walk from the West Quay hotels. Most people are able to walk there from the hotels there, even with bags.

Ocean terminal is further away. When we were there last year, the general consensus was that it is too far to walk, so they arranged taxis from their hotels. I actually walked from the terminal to the train station and it was fine, but it seems that for most people it was too far to walk with luggage.

QE2 is quite a bit further again. I've never been there before but from my knowledge of it, I'm not sure I would want to walk there with bags (and I'm usually happy to walk quite a way).

I always think that if you are going to have to use a taxi anyway (as I think most people will if going to QE2) then it doesn't matter if you are a little further away, so it's probably best to book a location which is more handy for however you get into the city (i.e. Near the train station) or for whatever you are doing the day before (maybe near the city centre).

The West Quay area works fairly well for most of those things, in my opinion, so I would recommend booking something there, regardless of the terminal.

• 3 weeks later...
Whilst this is basically correct, the location does matter if you want to walk to the terminal.

City Terminal is a very easy walk from the West Quay hotels. Most people are able to walk there from the hotels there, even with bags.

Ocean terminal is further away. When we were there last year, the general consensus was that it is too far to walk, so they arranged taxis from their hotels. I actually walked from the terminal to the train station and it was fine, but it seems that for most people it was too far to walk with luggage.

QE2 is quite a bit further again. I've never been there before but from my knowledge of it, I'm not sure I would want to walk there with bags (and I'm usually happy to walk quite a way).

I always think that if you are going to have to use a taxi anyway (as I think most people will if going to QE2) then it doesn't matter if you are a little further away, so it's probably best to book a location which is more handy for however you get into the city (i.e. Near the train station) or for whatever you are doing the day before (maybe near the city centre).

The West Quay area works fairly well for most of those things, in my opinion, so I would recommend booking something there, regardless of the terminal.

Thanks for the info.

The Southampton website has just been updated with the details for the Jade:

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

It seems to be moving around between City, Ocean and QE2 terminals, so on some cruises you will arrive in a different terminal to the one you sailed out of. I'm not sure how they deal with that if you are parking there (it doesn't apply to us luckily).

For those people arranging getting to the port, or considering hotels, it does depend to an extent on which berth you need to get to.

City Terminal (berth 101) is a very easy walk from the West Quay area, so as long as you are happy pushing your luggage a couple of hundred yards the a hotel like the Premier Inn West Quay, the Holiday Inn or the Grand Harbour hotel would be the best location to stay. As well as being a short walk from the terminal, you are also close to the city centre/West Quay shopping centre and there are quite a few pubs and food options nearby.

If you are coming by train then you are not far from the station either. I find it an easy walk, but it is probably just over half a mile, so some may not want to walk.

Ocean Terminal (berth 46) is a bit further away. As I mentioned above, I walked from there to the Station last year and it was not too bad, but I suspect most people would rather not walk it. The West Quay area is still a good option, but many people are likely to want to take a taxi to the ship.

QE2 (Berths 38/9) is quite a bit further away. I've never been there, but looking at the map I'd say that it is probably best done by taxi.

Edited by KeithJenner

If coming by train you can get the bus from the train station which goes to the Red Jet terminal just get off the stop before.

Check the Port of Southampton website cruise ship schedule.

Aida and P and O tend to use port 46.

I spend far to often on the Isle of Wight ferry!.........

Ok, looking forward to our first cruise but the first hiccup seems to have arisen. According to the port schedule Jade is departing on 2/6 from berth 46 ocean terminal, but will arrive back on 11/6 to berth 101 City terminal. We will be parking so does anybody know if there is a car park that would be central to both of these berths or are we resigned to a long walk on either departure or arrival. Thanks for any advice.

Ok, looking forward to our first cruise but the first hiccup seems to have arisen. According to the port schedule Jade is departing on 2/6 from berth 46 ocean terminal, but will arrive back on 11/6 to berth 101 City terminal. We will be parking so does anybody know if there is a car park that would be central to both of these berths or are we resigned to a long walk on either departure or arrival. Thanks for any advice.

I would park at the port car parks. You state which cruise you are on and they allocate the car park, so I'm sure they will use one that works best.

This will happen fairly often so I'm sure they have procedures in place, even if it's just a shuttle bus.

It isn't a long walk anyway. If I was in your position I would plan to just walk to the car park from either terminal. The two terminals are reasonably close to each other.

Is there a hotel anyone would recommend in Southampton? We will be dropped off at the port by a friend, so don't need parking for the cruise.

It really depends on what you want.

If you are just after somewhere cheap and near the city centre (as you don't have a car) then I would book either the Premier Inn West Quay, the Ibis Budget or the Travelodge, depending on which is cheaper. If they are all similar price then I would rate them in the order listed as the Premier Inn is a slightly better location and Travelodge are generally not as comfortable in my opinion (although I haven't stayed at the Southampton one which I think is quite new).

If you want to spend a bit extra then I don't really know the Southampton options all that well. There is a hotel near West Quay (harbour something) which looks quite nice.

The only other hotels I really know anything about are the two Hiltons which are outside the city. We are staying at the Doubletree as it's relatively cheap and we aren't going into the city before boarding, but it's nothing special. There is a new Hilton at the cricket ground, which I really like, but that's because I stay there sometimes to watch a game from the balcony. It's not a good location though, especially if you don't have a car.

Sorry I can't help more. It's probably worth having a look through TripAdvisor to get some opinions.