Independent tours in Naples?

#eurovirgin

My husband and I are going on our first Mediterranean cruise the first week of April. I'm researching which cities we can safely plan our own excursions and which cities where it would be best to rely on ship sponsored excursions. So tell me about Naples...is it a good place to go independent? I'm not sure where to start. I have heard that it might be one of the easier ports for us to plan on our own, but I don't know where to start.

edit.gif

Many of your ports are easily done independently. It appears that you are new to Europe?

A good guidebook for first time visitors is Mediterranean Cruise Ports by Rick Steves. He provides lots of useful information including sights to see, directions and maps. You can purchase it online or at your local bookstore.

https://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Mediterranean-Cruise-Ports/dp/1612385060

Steves also offers free audio guides that you can download:

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours/italy

Capri, Herculaneum, Pompeii, Sorrento, are all pretty easy using the local ferries or the local trains or, for a more interesting round-trip, a combination of the two. But you'll likely not fit in more than two of those places in your port day.

The exception is the spectacular Amalfi coast, which is along the south side of the peninsula behind Sorrento. Within your limited time, this can't reliably be done by public transport. So that needs a pre-arranged tour - perhaps one which combines it with Pompeii.

And don't rent a self-drive car or van for the Amalfi coast - apart from the hairy driving which frightens a few, the driver will have to watch the road rather than the scenery and will be tied to the vehicle because of severely-limited parking opportunities.

Your main problem with Naples will be having to choose between a number of very worthwhile itineraries.

JB :)

All good advice. But, to reiterate, one block from the dock on a very busy tourist street I was tripped, and the "Good Samaritan" who helped me up tried to lift my wallet. But it was zippered in so I just slapped his hand back and kept walking. Did not enhance my appreciation of Naples! But Pompeii was amazing. In past visits, we found Herculaneum to be considerably smaller and, though beautiful, not as interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All good advice. But, to reiterate, one block from the dock on a very busy tourist street I was tripped, and the "Good Samaritan" who helped me up tried to lift my wallet. But it was zippered in so I just slapped his hand back and kept walking. Did not enhance my appreciation of Naples! But Pompeii was amazing. In past visits, we found Herculaneum to be considerably smaller and, though beautiful, not as interesting.

You make it sound like Naples is alone in this.....Pickpockets are active in almost all of the major Mediterranean cities. Taking proper precautions and using smart "city" behavior will keep them from impacting your vacation.

At least in Europe pickpocketers are subtle and mostly just after your money/credit cards. You are unlikely to be injured or get mugged.

Cruisemom42, you're obviously right, but I've been often to the Mediterranean, multiple times to Florence and Rome in particular, but this kind of thing has only happened to me once, in Naples. And so near the ship! So I think my perspective is no doubt a little biased.

Also, there is a uniquely charming street not too far from the port, Via San Gregorio Armeno, that is filled with vendors selling beautiful Christmas decorations. I think it's open all year. We tried to find it ourselves unsuccessfully before we finally jumped into a cab, and our walking path took us up the hill, where the streets get a little narrower but still have a great European sense of character. My wife and I both started to feel a little uneasy and unsafe, and we got out of there quickly. Clearly this is just my impression, but I felt that Naples had a more readily apparent darker side than any of the other ports we visited.

Of course it's still beautiful, but if we wind up there on a future cruise, I'll stick with the guided tours. And we were clearly not very bright wandering off the beaten path to begin with!

It's a shame that you had a bad experience and didn't feel comfortable. Oddly, while I've had brushes with pickpocketers in Barcelona and Rome, I've never run into them in Naples (knock on wood!).

I've walked down the street you mention with the presepio (creche) figures, and many others on several visits to Naples including a two-week stay. Even rode the notorious "pickpocket" bus with no issues. Naples for me wasn't a city that one immediately warms to, but I like it more each time I visit.

Ok, I guess I need to post another thread asking for advice on avoiding pickpockets....

If you search this forum for pickpockets you will find numerous threads that address this issue in Europe.

Cruise Critic members are very helpful folk, but the more specific questions you have, the better they will be addressed.

Ok, I guess I need to post another thread asking for advice on avoiding pickpockets....

1. Carry only what you need. Leave a "back up" credit card on the ship (in your safe).

2. Never put down a camera, phone or bag on a table or under a chair. Keep it on you at all times. A small crossbody bag is best. Backpacks are not good unless they lock -- you can't see what's behind you.

3. Wallets in pants are a temptation. Back pockets = obviously not safe. But front pockets are also fair game and I've read a number of posts from people who either had their wallet stolen or almost had it stolen from a front pocket.

4. For anything more than 'walking around' cash, keep it hidden via a money belt, neck pouch, or a secret pocket. (Google traveler security items and you'll find a lot of options).

5. Try to be vigilant of your surroundings. If you take the above precautions you should be fine, but if you are a couple just do the basic things -- watch each other's backs (literally). Keep an eye out for situations where crowding occurs as that's the time when most pickpocketings occur. (Getting on or off a train or bus, going up stairs or an escalator, standing at a crowded site where most are focused on taking photos -- like Trevi Fountain in Rome -- you get the idea....)

I think it depends on what you want to do in or from Naples. If you want to spend the day on Capri, you don't need an excursion. You simply walk from the port to the left and you'll see the docks and ticket booths for the hydrofoils. You can spend the morning on the land and do a nice boat tour and get into the caves and even swim in the water. After, you can grab lunch in Capri or take the ride up to Anacapri. If you want to see Pompeii and combine it with a couple towns along the Amalfi Coast, I would recommend an independent tour (AP Tours has some you can just join at good prices). We have done both of these options on different cruises but have never just walked into Naples.

As has already been said, the biggest challenge about a port visit to Naples is choosing among the dozens of "must see" options.

Almost all of these options can be easily reached on your own using public transit or your own two feet, since the port in Naples is right in the historic center of town. No long train rides like Livorno or Civitavecchia.

The only top destination that's difficult to reach by public transit within the confines of a port day visit is the Amalfi Coast. It can be done but the time used and the limited options take away from the enjoyment of the day. If the coast is a must-go destination for you, a tour is generally a better way to go.

About a month ago, one block from the dock in Naples, someone tried to pickpocket me. We didn't feel that safe walking around by ourselves. But Pompeii is about a half hour bus ride away in no traffic, so am sure there are plenty of independent tours available.

If I were a pickpocket I would love love love excursions and tour groups from ships and similar. Periodically the guide raises her signpost umbrella, whatever. People on the tour gather around as she describes the wonderfulness of the cathedral to the front of the square. Everyone looks at her or the church. The pickpocket has 10-15 targets of opportunity, people concentrating on the guide or the site, all facing away, paying no attention to their surroundings... I personally feel much safer in Naples or Rome or Florence or Paris or London just on my own with my wife.

I will add however that one evening in Naples a small group of us was walking from a dinner to the station to get back to our hotel. The passenger on a passing scooter tried to grab one of the lady's purse. Stuff happens. Especially in Naples.

It's a shame that you had a bad experience and didn't feel comfortable. Oddly, while I've had brushes with pickpocketers in Barcelona and Rome, I've never run into them in Naples (knock on wood!).

I've walked down the street you mention with the presepio (creche) figures, and many others on several visits to Naples including a two-week stay. Even rode the notorious "pickpocket" bus with no issues. Naples for me wasn't a city that one immediately warms to, but I like it more each time I visit.

With another couple, we wander around Naples and ATE! Sfogliatela, pizza, candies (Gay Odeon), wine, bread, cheese, fish... all yummy. We walked down the main shopping street (Toledo) and then into the presepio area and the fish market! Felt safe, but will say that police and city guardian were on every corner advising us NOT to go into those area because it was too dangerous. Have to say that the warning gave us pause...but foolishly or not we continued. It was a wonderful, wonderful day.... and all on foot (about 7-8 miles of walking).

Kathy;)

Oh please. Just because someone posted it on the internet ... note that your link is basically an ad for a company selling travel products.

No one denies that pickpockets are an issue throughout Europe in every city but they do NOT pose a threat to a traveler's safety, just to their things.

It's important to be aware of the problem so you can prevent becoming a victim (this is a crime of opportunity, after all) but if the presence of active and talented pickpockets is a reason not to visit somewhere, then pretty much all of Europe should be off your list.

I don't find Naples unsafe - not my favorite city in Italy (just my opinion) but I have never felt unsafe. I love Italy and enjoyed most of the Mediterranean cities that I have visited. I actually feel unsafe in some large US cities at night - at least I feel that my chances of being shot or knifed in Italy are very, very slim. Pickpockets just want your money, credit cards and the like. They look for the easiest targets.

Several years ago, we had a cruise port visit in Naples. I was taking my brother & SIL to Herculaneum & we took the tram over to Porta Nolana. I had warned my bro & SIL about pickpockets targeting cruise passengers on the tram (I have never been a victim, knock on wood) but my bro failed to heed my advice. My brother's pocket was picked on the tram - fortunately he felt the removal of his wallet from his front pocket & jumped off the tram hollering and chasing after the thief - the wallet was dropped - he was lucky.

He now heeds my advice.

Euro cruiser...Of course everyone's experience is different, but I've been all over Europe, and the only place I've ever had two criminals working in concert to rob me was in Naples. One stuck out his foot to trip me, the other "Good Samaritan" tried to help me up and pick my pocket. They were unsuccessful, but--guess what--I didn't like it. And I did feel like it compromised my safety. Of course I'm never going to let it prevent a trip to Europe, and being more aware is definitely the key to prevention, but I wouldn't be so dismissive of these concerns.

I am not being dismissive of the possibility of petty crime, on the contrary I always warn visitors to Europe, all of Europe, to be aware of their surroundings and their possessions.

I know it's hard to separate your own experience but it's still an anecdote and it's not predictive of what will happen to others. The fact that you were not targeted in another city does not mean others will not be and it does not change statistical facts. We are all human and we tend to be drawn to personal information more than to dry facts, I'm just reminding us all of that reality.

I was being dismissive of the particular link offered as "information".