Ovation review

pearlsz

We were on the Ovation 9 Jan cruise & a link to my full review is here.

Have no idea what some of the negative reviews are about - this cruise was great, no issues with crowds or long queues, booked restaurants prior & also one whilst on board - no trouble booking Ifly & North star first day etc in the SeaPlex. At least if you do queue for a while you are undercover there.

Didn't use the IQ app - I prefer to book events/restaurants online prior or with staff on board.

A tip for the theatre - if you have prebooked don't line up on deck 4 to enter, we went up to deck 5 where the line was almost non existent & then walked down to deck 4 if we wanted to be seated on that level - don't just join a queue because that is what others are doing. Also sometimes a queue forms for people wanting to get in without prebooking, so make sure if you do join a queue it's the correct one. We often found alternative options on this ship to avoid queues etc that others had overlooked.

Also as far as shore excursions go we did the overnight between Dunedin & Milford via Queenstown - best tour ever & well worth the rather large price tag.

As per my review, be organised, be flexible, have a positive attitude & do your research & you will have a great time I'm sure.

I would sail on Ovation again no problem if she has varied itineraries in the future & the cost is reasonably comparative to other Royal ships.

We were on the Ovation 9 Jan cruise & a link to my full review is here.

Also as far as shore excursions go we did the overnight between Dunedin & Milford via Queenstown - best tour ever & well worth the rather large price .

Couldn't agree more regarding this tour - we did it off Celebrity Solstice and would rate this one as up there with one of the best ever!!

As to good or bad reviews of Ovation - it truly depends on the experience each person had. As experienced cruisers we always book onboard needs prior to boarding, are organised on the ship and well aware of all the little foibles that can be encountered. The Ovation Christmas cruise just didn't ring the same bells as previous RCI ships. We won't book Ovation again :(

Edited by Porky55

Question for anyone who has sailed on Ovation so far....what is the weight limit for ifly, and how strictly do they keep to it? On the rci website, it says 250 pounds, which is about 113kg, but I've read reviews which say its limited to under 105kg. As someone whose weight fluctuates between 102 and 109kg, especially when on a cruise and eating all that yummy food, it has me worried.

Question for anyone who has sailed on Ovation so far....what is the weight limit for ifly, and how strictly do they keep to it? On the rci website, it says 250 pounds, which is about 113kg, but I've read reviews which say its limited to under 105kg. As someone whose weight fluctuates between 102 and 109kg, especially when on a cruise and eating all that yummy food, it has me worried.

Saw too people stopped from participation as they exceeded the limits. Some not happy, remember this is clothed weight (not naked weight) so most people would have an extra kg or two at least as laced shoes are required.

There are actually two limits, one is 250 pounds(113kgs) if you are over 6 foot (180cm), the other is for people under 6 foot, which is 230 pounds (104kgs).

I suggest if you are under 6 foot then diet now and do the I-fly early in the cruise.

Thanks Mic. Looks like I could be missing out. Currently 106 fully clothed and just under 6 foot and aren't booked in until towards the end of our cruise, the start of March. I'll try and drop a few kgs before we cruise and hope for the best.

The steward delivered a letter with the code to our stateroom on the night of departure. Might be able to get it earlier from guest services

Thank you. On Explorer I had to go to a booth set up near guest services.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can anyone tell me where to go once on board to get the code for Internet access purchased pre cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The steward delivered a letter with the code to our stateroom on the night of departure. Might be able to get it earlier from guest services

Should be on the bed with the rest of the paperwork when you first get to the stateroom. If not, they will likely have a stall set up on level 4 in the atrium.:D

Could someone who have booked the dining package kindly share their experience? I am worried as many have said to book restaurant before boarding but thats not available for those who bought the package. Where should I go to book once onboard? Is there much availability onboard? Cruise planner only have 9pm slots left for wonderland, would there be more slots available once onboard? Thanks!

Thanks Mic. Looks like I could be missing out. Currently 106 fully clothed and just under 6 foot and aren't booked in until towards the end of our cruise, the start of March. I'll try and drop a few kgs before we cruise and hope for the best.

Drop a few kilos and wear really light clothes, shorts and singlet, light weight shoes with no socks (I used boat shoes).

Alternatively buy some really tall sand shoes.:p

Good luck.:D

Could someone who have booked the dining package kindly share their experience? I am worried as many have said to book restaurant before boarding but thats not available for those who bought the package. Where should I go to book once onboard? Is there much availability onboard? Cruise planner only have 9pm slots left for wonderland, would there be more slots available once onboard? Thanks!

It would really depend on the cruise as to how busy it may be, however, they will have someone taking bookings in the atrium on level 4 on embarkation day.

Personally, I would upload the Royal IQ app (use aboard is free) and book places as soon as you are aboard.

Remember if using your phone all cruise, to disable stop international roaming and disable your data otherwise there may be some high bills.

They were weighing everyone when I went through which was a little odd, and different from last time. Not sure if someone was just being overly officious, or just had no idea of estimating weight (or just followed procedures thoughtlessly).

There is a safety reason behind it though, as the fan has to be able to blow/support that weight, and not have people bumping wildly into the wall, which can cause injuries. Hence, they will keep to the limit that applies.

There should be decent availability, as long as you book the first day.

They know of the situation with these packages, plus for other reasons do have spaces set aside for onboard reservations. So there would be other slots available, but just go as soon as possible.

They usually have a speciality restaurants waiter outside the buffet first day, but will also have staff at each of the speciality restaurants able to take bookings. On our cruise (which I think is standard) they were available 11:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. day 1.

It would really depend on the cruise as to how busy it may be, however, they will have someone taking bookings in the atrium on level 4 on embarkation day.

Personally, I would upload the Royal IQ app (use aboard is free) and book places as soon as you are aboard.

Remember if using your phone all cruise, to disable stop international roaming and disable your data otherwise there may be some high bills.

Thanks and great tip on the roaming.

There should be decent availability, as long as you book the first day.

They know of the situation with these packages, plus for other reasons do have spaces set aside for onboard reservations. So there would be other slots available, but just go as soon as possible.

They usually have a speciality restaurants waiter outside the buffet first day, but will also have staff at each of the speciality restaurants able to take bookings. On our cruise (which I think is standard) they were available 11:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. day 1.

Thank you, I can breathe easy now.

I am currently on the Ovation and so far we have made the ships maiden calls in Noumea and Mystery Island. It has been two days of good thing and bad thing. Good being the ships first visit the second being that the ship has had to make 2 helicopter evacuations in two nights. Tonight we have rushed back down the New calidonia from Mystery Island and we are currently almost stopped waiting for the helicopter.

A tip for the theatre - if you have prebooked don't line up on deck 4 to enter, we went up to deck 5 where the line was almost non existent & then walked down to deck 4 if we wanted to be seated on that level - don't just join a queue because that is what others are doing. Also sometimes a queue forms for people wanting to get in without prebooking, so make sure if you do join a queue it's the correct one. We often found alternative options on this ship to avoid queues etc that others had overlooked.

I am on the Ovation now and can not stress this enough. There are plenty of ways to get around queues. In fact I have only lined up once on board. So far this cruise my experience has been that the ship has been feeling empty at times. I don't know if the ship is far from being booked out or if it is just the way the ship is designed, but at times it is extremely easy to do things. The Theatre is a prime example. We went in on deck 5 and there was no other passengers in site. We ended up deciding to sit on deck 4 and saw the lines of people waiting there. Definitely go to deck 5 to get in.

Tender tickets and the North star on port days are the only real lines we see.

If anyone has any questions I will be online tomorrow night and will try to answer some questions. We are now done with the south Pacific and heading to NZ.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Depends on how tall you are as well....

I got thru.... 6' 108kgs..... BUT.... how FIT are you ??? Truly.. be HONEST on this part.

Sure it is only a minute in there - but you will probably hit/touch the sides, you may come out with a sore back, sore shoulders etc. A tall guy in my group kept hitting the sides. I did - and had a sore shoulder afterwards - this coming from a person whom gyms 6 days a week. If you aren't fit - then maybe give it a miss.

(and your weight fluctuates that much ??? mmmmmm :rolleyes:)

and my Ovation Review - 9 Jan is up - http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=564029

Edited by shireboi