Cheap, cheap or

MB60e

NCL-dawn,I figure about the only time we will be in our cabin is to sleep and shower. So I am divided to just go with the cheapest rooms available or possible a cabin with a balcony? It's about a $700 difference which would go a long way on shore excusions....... thoughts?

Edited by MB60e

So I figure about the only time we will be in our cabin is to sleep and shower. So I am divided to just go with the cheapest rooms available or possible a cabin with a balcony? It's about a $700 difference which would go a long way on shore excusions....... thoughts?

I had a balcony cabin once and I felt obligated to use it. It was hot, humid and uncomfortable outside so I only used it for a few minutes about 5 times which would amount to $140 per visit in your case.

I almost always get an Inside GTY and hope for an upgrade because of my Platinum (NCL and Carnival) and Elite (Princess) status. If not, I ask for one once I am onboard and I usually get accommodated.

If you're not planning on spending a lot of time in your room, it may come down to how important fresh air in your room and/or natural light is: some can't live without it, and some don't care. The balconies that I've seen on a lot of ships have zero privacy: you'll be sitting as close to the person on the next balcony as the person you're rooming with.

Our coming cruise on the Jewel will be our first interior room. Our previous two cruises were both window views, and we were surprised at how little we enjoyed the window. Looking at the featureless ocean gets boring real fast, and you can't see anything at night anyway.

Personally, I'd rather save the $700 and use it towards another cruise. YMMV.

Edited by RaiderDuck

$700 is a lot of money, but that depends on your expectations and your deal.

I paid $600 to upgrade from an inside to a balcony. However my overall deal made it fee more like a $300 upgrade: 3rd person free on a comped inside cruise offer so in the grand scheme it was still reasonable

There were 3 of us and I didn't want to spend a week stepping over my family or their things. This was my one vacation for the year so to me it was well worth it. While my mother had cruised more than me, neither of us had stayed in a balcony, it was a nice treat for me to give her. She loved it and thinks she always requires a balcony now, easy to say when someone else is paying. :-)

Now if the cabin works for you I'd keep the $700 for other things or my pocket.

If I travel with 1-2 or a 3-4 night cruise I'd be fine with an inside, more than that I'd likely take push for the bigger cabin or take a different vacation.

Edited by Nola26

Inside cabin vs. Balcony is always a balance of personal preference and budget.

I am an inside cabin cruiser on about 15 cruises. The advantage of an inside is you will likely get great sleep. When the lights are off the cabin is dark (great for sleeping.) Also, if there is a storm you will not hear it. On more than a couple of cruises my fellow passengers complained about hearing the storms at night.

Look for an inside that is sandwiched between decks with cabins. Also, keep in mind the LOWER you are on the ship the less movement you will feel.

I would point out to you that the cheapest cabin is usually the inside guarantee. Under the current perk rules, you will not qualify. You may want to consider an inside where you can select your cabin and get a perk.

$700 is a significant difference. It goes a long way to pay for excursions or airfare to arrive at the port.

Also, on the tv in your cabin there is a channel that shows the webcam. I check it in the morning to see the weather.

Either choice you make will be a good one. Have fun!

We did an inside once & hated it so went back to balconies. Last cruise we decided we would save some $$ and go with an OV. We didn't enjoy that either.

Although we're out and about a lot, when we head back to shower or chill, we need someplace to sit & relax besides the bed. We both generally enjoy the balcony when the other is showering & we always start our day quietly out there with a cup of coffee.

$700 is a lot of money but for us, it's well worth it!

I'm definitely an inside cruiser. It's lovely to have a balcony but the cost is just so much...

I've got lots of photos of inside NCL cabins here: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/10/02/are-inside-cabins-claustophobic/

They're not bad at all. More than enough room for what you need and you'll have the best sleep of your life! You could put that money towards your next cruise :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've had the interior/oceanview/balcony and suite. We have over 25 cruises...

Suites we do only if it's a steal or something special.. like our 30th anniversary is coming up.

Balcony is our go to if the price is right, OV we've done many times but only when either there were no balconies (except for suites) or the balcony was just to much or sold out.

Twice in an interior and I think for us I would stay home rather than cruise in one again. Just to claustrophobic for the wife and too dark for me! Plus one years ago (20+ years ago) you had to remove the toilet paper to shower as the the entire bathroom was the shower!

$700 for the balcony is $350 per person, which would be in our realm for an "upgrade"... just our 2 cents.

Edited by bobsfamily

NCL-dawn,I figure about the only time we will be in our cabin is to sleep and shower. So I am divided to just go with the cheapest rooms available or possible a cabin with a balcony? It's about a $700 difference which would go a long way on shore excusions....... thoughts?

Save yourself the $700. You can use it for tons of other things. PERIOD.

Only you know how important it is to you to have natural light and whether you'd spend time on your balcony to make it worth it. Most of my cruises have been in balcony cabins. Unlike some of the previous posters, I spend a lot of time on my balcony. All but one of my last few cruises have been in either inside or studio cabins as my kids are now grown and I've begun cruising solo. I'm fine with the inside cabin, which was a surprise to me. But, if the difference in cost is minimal, I would book a balcony every time!

Weigh how much you think you'd use the balcony with your budget and you'll have your answer.

In our 20+ cruises, we have done outside and balcony. No inside. Last cruise (our first on NCL) I got a super last minute deal on an obstructed view outside. Got the light from the window, a view of lifeboat, BUT when we were up and about, we were UP and ABOUT. Not sitting in room.

Sailing next month in another obstructed view. We had seen this cabin (a sideways one) when our cabin steward was cleaning it. Requested and got it. Can't wait.

The reason you won't spend time in your cabin is because it's an inside. If you have a balcony you will enjoy it more. Every night I like to see the stars before I go to bed.

The reason you won't spend time in your cabin is because it's an inside. If you have a balcony you will enjoy it more. Every night I like to see the stars before I go to bed.

Do you NOT have stars in California???? :confused::confused::confused::confused: You are willing to pay $700 to see stars? :confused:

That's my feeling too. So many people say "oh, I never spend much time in my cabin." I think people spend more time there than they think.

At any rate, only the OP can evaluate whether he/she can afford the $700 and what's important to them.

My wife and I cruise because we love the ocean. We always get a balcony. Love going out there first thing in the morning, sitting out there and reading during the day or just staring at the water, and ending the evening looking at the sea and stars before turning in. It is, to us at least, what makes cruising so special.

Others may and do feel differently, and that's fine of course.

We have done 20+ cruises about half inside or OV, 2 balconies. DH prefers inside, but I like to know when it is day, so my preference is OV with a porthole. Check the sq ft listed for the different cabins. It may make a difference. I think you will enjoy the cruise whatever you chose.

On our big ship cruises we spent 3-4 hours a day in peace and quiet on our balcony. I would stay home before cruising a big ship without one. They are just too crowded and loud to relax otherwise. We had one on the PG and I wish we had saved the money. There was always someplace quiet to find chairs in or out of the sun on the deck. On Windstar we didn't have a balcony, but with an exhausting port intensive Mediterranean itinerary with enrichment programs in the sea days, we never missed it. But I go back to the big ship... Get the balcony. In the big picture, $700 isn't that much more money to be able to relax in solitude. If you plan on partying or gambling from dawn to midnight every day with no relaxation time, save the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NCL-dawn,I figure about the only time we will be in our cabin is to sleep and shower. So I am divided to just go with the cheapest rooms available or possible a cabin with a balcony? It's about a $700 difference which would go a long way on shore excusions....... thoughts?[/quote

Where ya going???

3 Day in Bermuda : off the ship , paying for an empty balcony.:rolleyes:

That's my feeling too. So many people say "oh, I never spend much time in my cabin." I think people spend more time there than they think.

At any rate, only the OP can evaluate whether he/she can afford the $700 and what's important to them.

My wife and I cruise because we love the ocean. We always get a balcony. Love going out there first thing in the morning, sitting out there and reading during the day or just staring at the water, and ending the evening looking at the sea and stars before turning in. It is, to us at least, what makes cruising so special.

Others may and do feel differently, and that's fine of course.

That's a big part of why we cruise - the ocean. I love the peace and serenity of sitting on my balcony staring at the ocean.

In our 20+ cruises, we have done outside and balcony. No inside. Last cruise (our first on NCL) I got a super last minute deal on an obstructed view outside. Got the light from the window, a view of lifeboat, BUT when we were up and about, we were UP and ABOUT. Not sitting in room.

Sailing next month in another obstructed view. We had seen this cabin (a sideways one) when our cabin steward was cleaning it. Requested and got it. Can't wait.

We were in 8618 last June. No place to sit except the bed & we had the beds changed to 2 twins to give us a little more maneuvering room. We spent very little time in the cabin out of necessity.

Not a whole lot of natural light coming in especially since the curtain needed to be kept closed because you never knew when a someone was going to be out there. I don't remember seeing anyone when we were moving but when we were in Bermuda, there was enough activity that the curtains had to stay closed.

NCL Dawn has a wonderful wrap around promenade deck #7.

I love walking around spotting stuff in the ocean.

Flying fish around the bow wake is a great way to enjoy mother nature.

Some times dolphins will play in the aft. wake.

You can miss both sitting in a midship balcony. ( just sayin )

Also Dawn's Promenade has lounge chairs on both the sunny side and the shady side of the ship.

Do you NOT have stars in California???? :confused::confused::confused::confused: You are willing to pay $700 to see stars? :confused:

Not the same and I am willing to pay for a regular suite (not the Haven). Obviously the ship has different categories because people are willing (or not) to pay for they like and can afford.

NCL Dawn has a wonderful wrap around promenade deck #7.

I love walking around spotting stuff in the ocean.

Flying fish around the bow wake is a great way to enjoy mother nature.

Some times dolphins will play in the aft. wake.

You can miss both sitting in a midship balcony. ( just sayin )

Also Dawn's Promenade has lounge chairs on both the sunny side and the shady side of the ship.

I've seen flying fish, dolphins and sea turtles from my balcony. It's all about personal preference. I prefer the peacefulness of sitting on my balcony. As we are not big drinkers or gamblers, we value the balcony experience so it is worth the additional cost. Others may not place as much value on it.

I've seen flying fish, dolphins and sea turtles from my balcony. It's all about personal preference. I prefer the peacefulness of sitting on my balcony. As we are not big drinkers or gamblers, we value the balcony experience so it is worth the additional cost. Others may not place as much value on it.

Ahh.

I don't drink or gamble ether. :confused:

O.P. will have to decide for themselves if there is $700 more peacefulness on a balcony than out on Promenade deck.