Regal Princess Review 12/11 - 12/18

lovevacadays

We had a fabulous cruise! We booked 18 months ago during the Beverage Package included special. I’m Michelle and have done 19 cruises with this being my 12th Princess cruise. Sharing my cabin was my niece. This was her 3rd cruise, all with Princess. We were in cabin D424 –extended balcony. In cabin D428 extended balcony right next door were my cousin and her partner. They are well-traveled. This was their first cruise. Down the hall in cabin D410 deluxe cabin with an extended balcony was my brother and his wife. This was their first cruise. I can’t say how much we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It was such fun for me watching my brother, sister in-law, and cousin have so much fun on their first cruise experience. And, we loved those extended balconies. I would highly recommend cabin D424.

Pre-cruise, Embarkation, and Sail Away: My brother, sister in-law and niece drove to Fort Lauderdale, my cousin and her partner flew in from Colorado and I flew in from California. We arrived a day early. It was really storming when we arrived. Very strong winds and some rain. However, we did not let that dampen our spirits one bit. We knew we had many days of sunshine and good times ahead. We stayed at the Marriott Beach Place Towers in two Villas. My brother, SIL, and niece in one and my cousins and me in the other. The rooms were fantastic! Very large with a huge whirlpool bath tub. We decided to do the intracoastal view since we would be looking at the ocean for many days. We had balconies that were really nice. Our timing was good as the night we were there was the boat Christmas parade. We were on floors 16 and 19 and the boats came right down the waterway in front of us. Add a bottle of wine and it was a fun evening. Even with the winds it wasn’t cold. Temperature about mid 70’s.

My niece drove my brother, SIL and me to the terminal at about 10:30. There was already a lot of people in the regular line but not many in the preferred line. My brother uses a cane and a wheelchair if he is in pain. They were on board by 11:45 as they went on first with the handicapped group. My niece and I flew through the platinum line which was well organized. We were seated in the Platinum seating area. We were there for about 10-15 minutes and happened to look up and see our cousins in the regular line and they had not been seated yet in any group number. We were waving at them when a nice Princess employee noticed us waving at them. She asked if they were traveling with us. When we said yes she said “what does it hurt to add two more to the Platinum area” and let them come sit with us. Within minutes we were boarding the ship. I think it was around 12:15 but not sure. We dropped our carry ons and found my brother and went up to Alfredo’s. It was already full and no one had ordered yet so we headed up to the buffet. Believe it or not it was really quiet up there so we got our food in no time and got seated, ordered our first alcoholic beverage and so the cruise began. Embarkation was a breeze.

We did the muster drill and then headed up to the Lido deck for sail away. It was a bit windy but no rain and it wasn’t cold. There were clouds in the sky with some sun here and there. Princess decided to do the party down in the Piazza. Since it wasn’t bad at all up on the deck and we wanted to watch the two ships leaving before us sail out we stayed up on deck. There were many others with the same idea. We had a great sail away. It was actually quite fun with the stormy looking skies. We watched the Caribbean Princess leave first and then a Holland America ship. It was great fun. They we heard the horns blast on the Regal and the Love Boat theme start to play. We got such a great laugh from it. Fun, fun. We got the pleasure of hearing the Love Boat theme song every time we left a port and quite often during the cruise prior to the captain coming on the loud speaker with an announcement. Seems the Captain has an affinity for playing the Love Boat theme. There were people out in front of their homes waving at us and even someone with a bullhorn talking to us. We loved it. After we got to the open seas we went inside to start our evening.

More to come. I’m doing this while unpacking and doing laundry…….

I was on this cruise too! We had a fun time but wish the weather was a bit better the first few days of the trip.

But loved the ship-beautiful. Food was excellent! Loved the Lido deck on this cruise-so much selection, it was overwhelming at times. Entertainment was great too-loved that Fieria show. The singers and dancers were so good. Liked Nathan Foley too. The opera singer was great. Didnt care too much for the comedian.

Only downfall to me on this ship was the cabins. We were in a standarad balcony and it was too too small. This was my first princess cruise and on my next one, I will defintely upgrade to the bigger room. Missed the couch in the room. Also the bathroom was SO small in that room plus the beds were horrible, it felt like sleeping on a piece or wood or the floor. They were very uncomfortable.

But other than the cabin-we loved the cruise and would sail Princess again.

I was on this cruise too! We had a fun time but wish the weather was a bit better the first few days of the trip.

But loved the ship-beautiful. Food was excellent! Loved the Lido deck on this cruise-so much selection, it was overwhelming at times. Entertainment was great too-loved that Fieria show. The singers and dancers were so good. Liked Nathan Foley too. The opera singer was great. Didnt care too much for the comedian.

Only downfall to me on this ship was the cabins. We were in a standarad balcony and it was too too small. This was my first princess cruise and on my next one, I will defintely upgrade to the bigger room. Missed the couch in the room. Also the bathroom was SO small in that room plus the beds were horrible, it felt like sleeping on a piece or wood or the floor. They were very uncomfortable.

But other than the cabin-we loved the cruise and would sail Princess again.

Happy to hear you enjoyed the cruise overall. We found plenty of places on Sunday and Monday out of the wind. It seems there were areas where it was bad and other areas because of the direction of the wind where we could find calm. Since it was warm it didn't bother us but it could have been better. The other days were so beautiful.

Entertainment is a funny and subjective thing. We thought it was excellent. We loved the comedian. My cousin and brother commented that they hadn't laughed that hard in a long time. It's such a good thing that there is a variety of entertainment on a ship so there is something for everyone.

I've heard about those tiny balconies on the Regal and Royal. We were fortunate to snag extended balconies but we booked 18 months in advance. They went fast.

Ship: The Regal is a beautiful ship. I loved it and look forward to sailing her again. After sailing the Grand class ships so many times it was really fun to try a new ship. While there were the familiar places that are standard for Princess, the layout of the ship and the new venues made me very happy. It was great to try something new that really felt like it was something new. I loved the Piazza. It was much bigger than I’ve experienced. I love all the venues that surround the piazza on decks 5, 6, and 7. It really felt likea piazza! There was something going on somewhere most of the time and plenty of seating. We didn’t struggle to find seating although it did get pretty full during some of the major events. I wasn’t sure if I would like sailing a ship without the Explorers Lounge but I did like it. I thought it was really cool having entertainment and dancing in the piazza.

The artwork on the ship was great. The décor was beautiful. It was elegant as are most of the Princess ships. Lots of place to sit outside of the bars and food venues.

Crooners is bigger on this ship. I really liked it. Bellini’s was small with a few tables. We only sampled a bellini on the last day and wish we had tried one earlier. Very good. Loved the Ocean Terrace, loved, loved the Gellato Shop. It was so cute and had tables both inside and right outside. Vines was nice, the International Café, Coffee Bar, and Piazza Bar on 5 had lots of seating. Alfredo’s was pretty and I’ll comment more on the food in my food section. The buffet area was magnificent. It was huge with plenty of seating in the Horizon Court, Bistro, and outside aft area. We liked Princess Live. Club 6 was ok. I much prefer SkyWalkers over Club 6. There are no water views in Club 6 as it is on deck mid-ship.

I do prefer the aft Lido deck areas on the Grand Class better than on the Regal but it wasn’t really a major issue. There’s plenty of available seating on the Regal aft, I just like the set up on the Grand class better. I didn’t miss the walk around Promenade deck as I thought the track up on deck 18 was great. There were amazing views up there when I did my walks and plenty of other walkers to share the track with. The promenade deck did have some padded loungers on each side aft/side and aft. I spent a few hours there on the first sea day and several hours on the second sea day. It was great. On the third sea day I wasn’t so lucky as I didn’t go until the afternoon and they were taken. I do wish there were more loungers there.

The main pool area was really nice with lots of tables and some really nice seating areas. No covered pool so if that is important to you please be aware you won’t find shade around the main pool area. The retreat pool area was nice. I did one port sail away from there and the view was great. No shade though so keep that in mind. Correction – there is a small seating area as you enter the Retreat Pool area and it was shady there. I did find some shaded lounger areas along the sides of the ship. There were some overhangs. You had to be on the side of the ship that was opposite from where the sun was. So, not as many shaded lounging areas as the Grand Class if that is important to you.

As has been noted many times there are no center stairs. Overall, I didn’t miss them as with all the food I ate it was good to walk forward or aft and do the stairs or take the elevators. But, I’m forgetful so when I forgot something in my cabin and needed to run back up I did miss the center stairs to just pop up and back again. But, really not a big issue. It wouldn’t keep me from sailing the Regal. However, if you have mobility issues you will have longer waits in the central elevators as per my brother who used them more than I did.

My niece and I did Sabatini’s and thought it was a pretty venue. Didn’t go to Crown Grill so I can’t comment on how it was in terms of being connected to the Wheelhouse bar. However, I do like the Wheelhouse Bar better on the Grand Class ships. It was small on the Regal and just didn’t have the British Club feel.

This is really a wonderful ship. Even though I like some things better on the Grand Class I think the Regal is my favorite ship now with the Sapphire a very, very close second.

More to come. These pesky chores are getting in my way of writing more…..

I was on this sailing also.:D

It was my first Princess cruise and won't be my last!

Just some of my thoughts and tidbits:

If you're not preferred, don't show up early. We got there around 1030a. Long line already. Around 11a they boarded preferred members. At noon we were still standing outside. Then the line started moving. Thank god it was not hot and humid.

The buffet was unbelievable! Me and hubby ate in that buffet all the time. I ate in the dining room the one time for lobster night (friday), it was very good.

I appreciated the hours of the buffet and the staff was awesome, getting your drinks for you. I was getting spoiled. Buffet stayed open late, i think 11p it closed.

We loved the comedian. Wish they had more than one for the entire cruise. Nathan Foley was excellent! Fiera was the best production show I've seen. You have to see it, is all I can say!

Didn't like the opera show. But sat thru it.

Bed and pillows was comfortable to me. I slept like a baby.

42 inch flat screen TV with free on demand movies, tv shows and Christmas movies, had me and hubby fighting over the tv.:rolleyes:

We had a deluxe balcony cabin D220. It was small, I thought. I like that Princess had reclining chairs on the balcony. I had my own private oasis and was able to lay down and take some naps out there. I didn't think the balcony was that small.

Debarkation was excellent! We were group A. And off the ship by 640a. Customs moved quickly. At 710a, I looked at my watch, we were in a taxi, heading to MIA airport. Our flight was a 927a departure to PHL. At 815a, hubby and I had checked luggage, went thru security and was sitting at a table ordering breakfast. I wouldn't recommend booking a flight that early, but we made the flight with no problem.

The daytime activities were pretty lame. This is just my opinion. But i was bored at times. I wasnt the only one feeling this way. A guy at the bar took out his phone and start playing hip party music. We all start singing and dancing to that.

Football on the big screen was fun! Watched 2 movies at night, by the pool. Jason Bourne and Tarzan.

Hubby said this was a relaxation cruise and it was. I have to say it was nice not having hordes of kids running around.

We decided we will book RCCL or Carnival for May 2017, we missed the fun and lively atmosphere and definitely book with Princess again for Dec, 2017.:)

Edited by Cruzinbabe06

I was on this sailing also.:D

It was my first Princess cruise and won't be my last!

The buffet was unbelievable! Me and hubby ate in that buffet all the time. I ate in the dining room the one time for lobster night (friday), it was very good.

I appreciated the hours of the buffet and the staff was awesome, getting your drinks for you. I was getting spoiled. Buffet stayed open late, i think 11p it closed.

The buffet stations at the Horizon court and Horizon Bistro have always drawn the attention of those who are on the Royal and Regal for the first time. Lots of choices.

We were on this same cruise and agree with you, everything was great, except we had one disappointing meal, in the Crown Grill. We loved the comedian and all the shows, even the opera. The murder mystery they had the last night was a hoot. Too many art auctions though.

I traveled with my 30 something niece and asked her what she liked the best. She listed so many things. When I asked her what she didn't like, she said it was the confusing layout in the buffet. Is that all? Yep. Needless to say, she bought her future cruise credit. So, I guess we'll be on another Princess cruise next year. :D

Happy to hear you enjoyed the cruise overall. We found plenty of places on Sunday and Monday out of the wind. It seems there were areas where it was bad and other areas because of the direction of the wind where we could find calm. Since it was warm it didn't bother us but it could have been better. The other days were so beautiful.

Entertainment is a funny and subjective thing. We thought it was excellent. We loved the comedian. My cousin and brother commented that they hadn't laughed that hard in a long time. It's such a good thing that there is a variety of entertainment on a ship so there is something for everyone.

I've heard about those tiny balconies on the Regal and Royal. We were fortunate to snag extended balconies but we booked 18 months in advance. They went fast.

The balcony itself was decent...it was the room. How were your beds? Our were awful!

We had a fabulous cruise! We booked 18 months ago during the Beverage Package included special. I’m Michelle and have done 19 cruises with this being my 12th Princess cruise. Sharing my cabin was my niece. This was her 3rd cruise, all with Princess. We were in cabin D424 –extended balcony. In cabin D428 extended balcony right next door were my cousin and her partner. And, we loved those extended balconies. I would highly recommend cabin D424.

Hi Michelle,

My DH and I were pondering booking a cruise on the Regal in the fall of 2018. When I read your review I looked at the deck plans and found D428 was available. We went ahead and booked this cabin today! Thanks for the info.

Linda

The balcony itself was decent...it was the room. How were your beds? Our were awful!

We were in a mini suite for this same cruise and our beds were (I dare say it) heavenly! The best we have ever had on Princess. And the comforter was so soft! Must not be rolled out for the entire ship.

And I hate to beat a dead horse but I absolutely HATE the balconies on the Royal class ships. We had the extended balconies under the Sky Walk (C427) and had 3 cabins in a row and it was still a pain! With the dividers open, we could walk between the three balconies but I always found it to be an obstacle course trying to swerve around chairs and tables. I think my days on the Royal Class are numbered.

And to top it off, when you opened the divider between our cabin and the next one forward, the divider completely, and I mean completely, blocked our door to the balcony. We had to unhook and rehook every time we wanted to go out on the balcony.

But with that said, we had a WONDERFUL cruise!! The weather was great, the service was wonderful and we relaxed so much on this trip. I really do like the retreat pool section on this class of ship. You will NEVER find me at the main pool and while the aft pool on grand class ships is adults only, I really appreciate the whole area that is just for adults.

Back to a grand class ship and the extra large Caribe balconies in March. I can't wait!